Bloody fork seals! Bloody BMW!

Igloo

More of a rant than a question!

Right hand fork seal has gone on the GSA. 8k miles.

Also the amount of rust which is now appearing is just appauling! It doesn't get ridden in the salt (Fair weather biker! :oops: ).

So yeah, BMW, Your build quality sucks. A lot.

End rant.

Not the first person I’ve heard disappointed with BMW’s recent build quality. A fella I know of had to get his rear calliper replaced under warranty due to corrosion, it had seized on and it had a couple more issues after it was about 6 months old, it’s a GS310 I think.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. The warranty will cover the forks seals. but probably not the corrosion.. unless you can manage to get your dealer on side as it will be down to them to argue your case with head office at Farnborough. best to really emphasise to the dealer that the bike has never seen salt and so this is unacceptable. It may help your case that the Bike is financed by PCP and so this corrosion will have a negative impact on the bikes final value.

Arg, don't mention forking fork seals. My right fork is literally p*ssing oil out down to the wheel on the zed. I didn't realise how bad they really were until I took it for a good long ride.

Isn't 8k a little bit soon to be leaking?

I had my fork seals done a couple weeks ago and they have started leaking again so back to the garage it went. Nothing out the ordinary so they're a bit confused as to why they started leaking. Replacing stuff and see how it goes this time :roll:

The joy of biking :D

The Busa just had a front end rebuild, l have never blown a fork seal in more than 40 yrs of riding, the state our great British roads might have something to do with it. Some of the potholes l managed to avoided on the last ride out would for sure had me off. Be careful folks

Do fork seals actually blow ? I can understand them wearing out , or being held open by dirt . I can understand rusty , pitted , worn or damaged stanchions causing a poor sealing surface. But actually blowing due to excess internal pressure caused by potholes in the road ? I'm not sure I can visualize the forces at work here . One possibility is worn bushes that allow a bending movement in the forks that may stretch the seal in an oval shape that allows oil to escape . Another possible cause of leakage is a hardening of the neoprene material that the seal is made of . Having just fitted a set of seals it was quite noticeable how soft and flexible a new seal actually is so hardening may well be a factor . But blowing ? All views welcome.

The Busa just had a front end rebuild, l have never blown a fork seal in more than 40 yrs of riding, the state our great British roads might have something to do with it. Some of the potholes l managed to avoided on the last ride out would for sure had me off. Be careful folks

I'll second that ! I've just been on a trip to Swindon down the Fosse Way and I've seen some bloody lethal potholes today . It's the very small but extremely deep ones that scare me . I couldn't avoid one and it nearly put my back out of joint . Fork seals were o.k. though, maybe its because I replaced the bushes as well .

I had my fork seals done a couple weeks ago and they have started leaking again so back to the garage it went. Nothing out the ordinary so they're a bit confused as to why they started leaking. Replacing stuff and see how it goes this time :roll:

The joy of biking :D

Did they replace the bushes as well ?

:(

It is covered under warranty / extended warranty?

It was 2 years old in March, I didn't (stupidly) take extended warranty, Don't think I got a letter about it and forgot about it.....

1jeT3Xf.jpg

m1BYRb7.jpg

T2L9QmZ.jpg

Also the amount of rust which is now appearing is just appauling!

3wTWGUp.jpg

But really where are the pics, c'mon man..

Just... No...

Also, I know this isn't much. But my ZX9-R had no corrosion at all, it is now 20 years old. (I sold it last year).

So, I have the dealer on side.

I have the dealer on side.

You do? What did you do to him? I showed mine yards of paint flaking off the final drive and he just shook his head at me.

I have the dealer on side.

You do? What did you do to him? I showed mine yards of paint flaking off the final drive and he just shook his head at me.

Yep, Well, They appear to be on side... We will see if anything actually happens....