GZ 125 TPS Question

AdamShoobidoo

HI, new to the forum, i signed up because i can't really find an answer to this question.

Basically i have a 2003 GZ 125 and am having problems with the carb, i'm looking at a new one on ebay but they all say they are only for bikes without a TPS, well mine has a TPS and the only one i can find with a TPS is £130 used, almost triple the cost of a new one without. Now i don't really understand how a TPS works but if i get the carb WITHOUT tps, can i just remove the cabling and use the bike without it? Or am i stuck with a TPS forever?

I distinctly remember one time i was riding for at least a few days with the TPS unplugged and didn't even realize, so it didn't make any noticeable difference in performance, so what is even the point of it?

Thanks.

I didnt know any Carbed models had a TPS

I cant see any reason a carb model would have one

Try disconnecting it again, On a FI bike a TPS thats not set right will make the bike run really bad at lower revs

Apparently it does because you can buy one as a replacement part... also, I believe some Yamaha's and carbed 1200 bandits have one. But exactly why? beats me.

Apparently it does because you can buy one as a replacement part... also, I believe some Yamaha's and carbed 1200 bandits have one. But exactly why? beats me.

Me too, cant see any benefit of having one on a Carbed model

I cant see any reason a carb model would have one

Try disconnecting it again, On a FI bike a TPS thats not set right will make the bike run really bad at lower revs

This question was asked recently and said same thing but yeah they do for ignition retard/advance...

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66775

Anyway guess from that thread no-one knows so just repair carb with gorilla glue :wink:

Me too, cant see any benefit of having one on a Carbed model

Bandits definitely have a TPS stuck on the side of the carbs but it beats me what for . I guess it feeds some data to the engine management system.

Have you tried cleaning the carb ?

:stupid:

Carbs are fiddly but totally serviceable, getting to know your carb will also save you headaches in future with rough running / idling etc...

I've cleaned the carb twice. The problem is it's running too rich, but no amount of adjustments makes it run leaner, it's always rich and just cuts out after a minute or so riding, if i can even get it started.

Stupid Q but have you cleaned the Air Filter?

I haven't cleaned the air filter, but it's only about 6 months old.

Still Worth checking

Sounds like the jet hole might have been cleaned with a needle.......and probably expanding the hole so too much fuel is getting in