leener

All ready to go back in.

20180428_140632.thumb.jpg.e60e9cd82def093ffffaf739a1a6f1c3.jpg

20180428_140732.thumb.jpg.6edc0e9199476bc50ea04257f8f42a7d.jpg

20180428_140641.thumb.jpg.f434c7679d632298192368912f1258f1.jpg

20180428_140655.thumb.jpg.1a121b0f2ad332fe424cb02a189bc8b0.jpg

20180428_140719.thumb.jpg.a37e7bad8182ac747906c096d94483a4.jpg

20180428_140704.thumb.jpg.fefa62bea67c7ce9a9560cd241d6f73e.jpg

I have totally assembled the engine, including hoses, injectors, and spark plugs. All I need to do is clean up the alley way down the side of the house, in order to drag the trolley with the engine on. There's WAY too much wood in the way, and it's not mine.

I have sprayed the fairings with a camo green °plasti-coat", which can be peeled off if I hate it. I add black camo to give it some effect. When I'm done, I'll upload some pics.

I also cleaned the chain to within an inch of its life, the rear sprocket, chain guard, and the swing arm.

It's almost there.

The moment of truth is finally on the horizon.

Good luck :thumb:

Cheers :).

Maybe when I get time to move the wood from the alley way, then I can do it. It will take me a good hour to shift it all out, and then the hard work begins.

I have paid a deposit on the ZZR and will pick it up on Sunday as a temporary run-around, until I get the Triumph running. Once that is perfect, then I will strip the ZZR and restore it to beautiful condition, including new fork seals, which I have never done before.

Good luck :thumb:

Cheers :).

Maybe when I get time to move the wood from the alley way, then I can do it. It will take me a good hour to shift it all out, and then the hard work begins.

I have paid a deposit on the ZZR and will pick it up on Sunday as a temporary run-around, until I get the Triumph running. Once that is perfect, then I will strip the ZZR and restore it to beautiful condition, including new fork seals, which I have never done before.

Re fork seals get a standard sized wooden broom handle and a roll of gaffa tape handy for creating a tool to hold the internal rod whilst undoing the lower retaining bolt ;)

Can you get normal broom handles now? All mine are plastic with hanging hooks on the end, as I always hang my brooms up rather than leaning against the wall :roll:

Can you get normal broom handles now? All mine are plastic with hanging hooks on the end, as I always hang my brooms up rather than leaning against the wall :roll:

You can where I live , how's the leg doing?

You can where I live , how's the leg doing?

F***ing painful, ran out of pain meds over weekend and over zealous doctors receptionist wouldn't allow someone else to pick it up for me :roll: said I have to pick it up in person :lol:

But... They are sending to pharmacy for me and pharmacy said someone else can pick up from there just won't be ready until later today :roll:

I've got plenty of prescription grade codeine spare from when I fell off a ladder last year. You are welcome to run up here to collect. :D

:lol: I'll set off now may get there by Christmas :thumb:

Have got codeine and tramadol in my backup supplies but wary of taking them as don't know how it will mix with the morphine, luckily still got bottle of that for instant relief it's just the long lasting ones I'm out of so nights and mornings have been a nightmare.

Should be ready anytime soon though :D

My 30mg Codeine ain't working.

I found that taking two or three of those with paracetamol did the trick :mrgreen:

Always thought paracetamol was such a pointless drug never did anything for me until I had it by IV... massive difference

May grind some up and mix it in with blood thinner injection :wink:

Codeine is turned into morphine by an enzyme in the liver so there won't be a problem taking both together, but you need to be careful of the quantities. Paracetamol acts along side the codeine to enhance the effects of both which is why they are generally prescribed together. It is amazing what one learns when one is in pain. :D

Learn something new everyday.

Yeah on paracetamol with this as well and going through them like smarties! Just waiting for my prescription prepayment card to come through so can get a load free :lol:

Got a 30 day supply now of long lasting ones so hopefully back to normal now. Made mistake when I wasn't sleeping properly of doing my morning / night dose at 8am/8pm, now I'm sleeping better it's a pain in the butt getting up at 8 just to take tablets and then not be doing anything :lol: so think I'll have to charge timings

• 3 weeks later...

After weeks of having the engine half-installed in the frame because I was looking for a tool:

845193965_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.29c6d5fc19eada1d678e1149f24816c3.jpg

This was to slacken off, what I assumed to be a moveable mount in the frame, because the engine simply won't fit back in.

The nut around the the thread slackened off but the mount cylinder is still firmly in it's place and will never move.

There is just no way to widen the frame enough to let it get back in.

I have come this far and literally think that I have had enough of this Triumph now. I might just take it back apart and sell the parts for cash, because I have to do the fork seals on the ZZR and preferably just use that bike.

Engine is finally up. Luckily I bought the right tools to get the mount out enough to get enough clearance for the engine to go back in.

Soon, I will record with pictures and video the results of the work done and see if this rebuild worked, or if I have totally trashed my engine.

I hope it works as after all the effort you put in, you deserve it to work.

I have most of the structure together. I actually had to take the swing-arm and suspension off to get the chain back on. It's all part of the experience.

If I could go back in time to when I hoisted the engine back in, I would have threaded the chain around the drive shaft as it rose into the mounts. But it gave me a chance to give it a good clean. You live and learn.

The sump is leaking. I have discovered that I over torqued the sump bolt and cracked the sump - ever so slightly! But enough to cause a drip. A replacement sump will be found and a new gasket. I am not taking the engine out again, but going to do it all on it's side, on a lot of cushioning. There is not a lot of oil in there, so not really expecting a big job of it.

I have removed so much filth from that bike that it will look totally different after I finish it.

Throttle body cleaned and re-assembled, and everything is back where it should be... almost.

The biggest problem I have now, apart from the sump crack is that the clutch spring isn't doing it's job. I will have to upload some pictures, but the cable will not meet with the catch if I turn the cylinder round enough so that the little spring coil is tight enough to pull the clutch lever back out. The spring will come off the case and scratch its way around. It's a massive pain in the mud flaps.

I will hopefully solve this one soon. Pics to follow.

Throttle body cleaned and re-assembled, and everything is back where it should be... almost.

Just a Quick one mate

If you have bike run Rough at low/mid revs when its back together....(sometimes very rough)

It could be the throttle bodies badly out of sync after being put back together

Something to be aware of..... and its an easy problem to sort...... but if you dont know about it you could be disheartened

just a heads up :thumb:

• 1 month later...

This old and long thread hasn't moved in a while, so I decided to take a peek back under the cover and try to make some progress on this bike during the weekend.

I have already hit a wall on this.

The engine is in the frame (missing one nut from an engine mount), but we have an issue with the clutch. As in, the rod that connects up to the cable doesn't have nearly enough spring action to return the lever.

I just don't get it. It came off the same as it is going on.

The rod that sticks out of the clutch basket has no spring to it, it just slides back and forth a little bit, and the clutch cover and spring rod will happily connect to it.

It just hasn't got the spring power to return the lever on the handle bar. So I rotate the rod another 360 so it does, and the spring is clearly too tight at that point.

Is the rod coming from the clutch basket supposed to have some pull to it? If so, then the crank case probably needs to come apart again. Terrrrrific!

I need to replace the clutch plates on the zed as well, but since this is such an issue on the Triumph, I don't want to bother until I have backup transport for when it goes wrong.

Cheers.

After weeks of having the engine half-installed in the frame because I was looking for a tool:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

This was to slacken off, what I assumed to be a moveable mount in the frame, because the engine simply won't fit back in.

The nut around the the thread slackened off but the mount cylinder is still firmly in it's place and will never move.

I have come this far and literally think that I have had enough of this Triumph now. I might just take it back apart and sell the parts for cash, because I have to do the fork seals on the ZZR and preferably just use that bike.

You could have made that from an old socket with an angle grinder.😉

s-l1600 (1).jpg

You could have made that from an old socket with an angle grinder.😉

I know, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even the old ones are precious.

Dear Santa... Please can I have a proper tool kit this year? I have been a good boy all year :angel12: