Should I have oil in here?

Got a DOHC 750 Honda of 1980 vintage that I’ve owned for 10 years but laid up for the past 6 years. Started to look why it ran like a pig when last used. Read on Youtube about the possibility of a part come loose in the lower left engine casing. Took the casing off and discovered oil in there. Is that right or have I got a bit of trouble down there?

Should be free of oil but realistically... an oiled chain flies around that area at some speed so there's bound to be some oil present. If you're certain it's not chain oil it's likely to be the oil seal around the drive to the front sprocket. My bike produces an egg cup full or so of oil every few months, nothing to worry about.

Should be free of oil but realistically... an oiled chain flies around that area at some speed so there's bound to be some oil present. If you're certain it's not chain oil it's likely to be the oil seal around the drive to the front sprocket. My bike produces an egg cup full or so of oil every few months, nothing to worry about.

Think he is on about behind engine casings. not behind chain sprocket cover

Hi, I answered this question in the newbies section, sometime ago for you, the ignition is on the l/h side and runs in oil on the cb750k. when you remove the first casing on the Ignition side there is a o ring groove with rubber gasket? If it is then yes it will run in oil, go to your local Main Honda dealer they should be able to tell you. But as said before 99% certain these ran oil on Ignition pick ups.

Thanks, everybody, for your useful replies. I only got about a cup full of oil out of the casing. The casing I took off was on the left side looking forward. The small cover which has “Honda” on it and held on by screws didn’t want to budge. The larger cover which the aforementioned small cover attaches to and held on by about 8 bolts was the one I removed to find the oil. Didn’t look as though it had ever been off in the 26 thousand miles this engine has done. Will keep digging.