Phobias

I have a colleague who lives on the south coast, but if he's asked to go to a job in Essex he won't come back over the bridge at Dartford because he's scared of heights..........The laugh is, he used to be a Para!...... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Was that why he left the Paras!? :o

I detest small spaces, won't catch me potholing. And as for cave diving.. :shock: those people are mental.

Not a phobia either, but I cannot stand belly buttons. They simply freak me out... anything touches/goes in my belly button I physically retch and feel/be sick. I don't partially like them on anyone else either, even the thought of key hole surgery though a belly button makes me feel queasy. :puke:

Id probably better not describe my recent umbilical hernia operation then . Neat job though. 😷

Power Stations, honestly . I cringe at the thought of cooling towers . I had to look down and make a run for it on a visit to Tate Modern. Dams and reservoirs come a close second . Thankfully both of these Objects are relatively easy to avoid .

Power Stations, honestly . I cringe at the thought of cooling towers . I had to look down and make a run for it on a visit to Tate Modern. Dams and reservoirs come a close second . Thankfully both of these Objects are relatively easy to avoid .

Power stations???

Different I suppose. You will be pleased to know most modern small scale stations now use air cooled condensors rather than cooling towers :thumb:

Riding Pillion, having had 2 offs as a pillion I would rather crawl than accept a lift on the back of a bike.

I don't think any regular bike rider would be comfortable as pillion . I don't think I could do it .

Heights do it for me aswell,mainly cliff edges.

Cause of this was my youngest daughter.

We were on holiday around Swanage when she was about 7 years old,went for a walk around Durlston park .

On a cliff top walk she was walking behind us in a mood,I turned around to find her stood on top of a low wall with a 100ft drop down to the sea.

I had to gently walk back and lift her to safety.

Even now just seeing cliff edges on tv or films makes me cringe.

• 2 weeks later...

Locks, weirs in fact anything watery and mechanical i cant go near. No idea where the phobia comes from but just walking the road past this bloody thing at Tetney Lock brings me out in a cold sweat.

http://files.viewranger.com/image/1f5b9455481e5ba3ec2be13cad196188.jpg

Locks, weirs in fact anything watery and mechanical i cant go near. No idea where the phobia comes from but just walking the road past this bloody thing at Tetney Lock brings me out in a cold sweat.

** Best Phobia 2018 Award **

Well I get up at 4.30am tomorrow to drive to the Peak District for two days nlp, abseiling and climbing in a bid to conquer my fear. Was going to ride up but decided I'd likely be very stressed/ anxious during the course and knackered at the end which wouldn't mix well with riding back Friday evening, so car it is, relaxing music, comfy seat, relaxed pace.

Well I get up at 4.30am tomorrow to drive to the Peak District for two days nlp, abseiling and climbing in a bid to conquer my fear. Was going to ride up but decided I'd likely be very stressed/ anxious during the course and knackered at the end which wouldn't mix well with riding back Friday evening, so car it is, relaxing music, comfy seat, relaxed pace.

Enjoy the Peak District, next you are up here there are some fantastic rides.

Totally with you on that , see my earlier post where I included power stations , dams and reservoirs. I think this falls into the same broad catagory . Railway viaducts give me the fear as well. I don't mind traveling over them but I wouldn't want to walk under one . I've been down a deep slate mine though.

• 3 weeks later...

Flying birds! No problem with ducks, geese etc cos they're on the ground.

But any bird flying near me freaks me out.

Why? I saw this film when I was 9 years old in 1963......and it stayed with me forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJh2gIBOto

Funnily enough, when i was younger i worked in a falconry centre. It was quite common for people to come see the birds fly who were phobic.

Now if you have a fear of birds and want to overcome it, play with a budgie. Dont come to a centre with free flying eagles capable of taking your face off :lol: :lol:

When i was younger i was immortal, although as i get older im definitely not as keen on heights anymore. In my work im often on top of large tanks at refineries which are fecking huge and they have little metal bridges between them. every time i cross them bridges and see how high i am my ar*ehole does twitch a bit.

Which is especially weird as i love flying and go paragliding :scratch:

When i was younger i was immortal, although as i get older im definitely not as keen on heights anymore. In my work im often on top of large tanks at refineries which are fecking huge and they have little metal bridges between them. every time i cross them bridges and see how high i am my ar*ehole does twitch a bit.

Which is especially weird as i love flying and go paragliding :scratch:

I fly flexwing microlights but I hate standing at the edge of a cliff or building or such like. Nit really a phobia but it makes me nervous. I reckon the flying is a different sensation all together as I love looking over the side of the plane. Maybe it's the greater frame of reference.

Is refusing to enter anywhere that has a Ouija board a phobia? (or has had one) even if its in the Loft

I blame watching "the Exorcist" when I was 9! .......I still wont watch it now .even though I watch much worse horrors now :scratch:

Even Odder when I consider that I dont believe in life after death

Is refusing to enter anywhere that has a Ouija board a phobia? (or has had one) even if its in the Loft

I blame watching "the Exorcist" when I was 9! .......I still wont watch it now .even though I watch much worse horrors now :scratch:

Even Odder when I consider that I dont believe in life after death

I'd say that's not really a phobia. It's like trying to avoid opium dens or down-at-heel brothels. More like common sense, really, unless you like a spot of misery.