Math Help

Joe85

Glorious Math guru's, please shower me with your superior intellect.

A ball is thrown down at 20ms^-1 speed from the top of a building. The building is 125 meters tall. The distance travelled before it reaches the ground is as follows:

S=U0t + 1/2gt^2

U0 = 20ms^-1

g = 10ms^-2

t= time

a) Find the time for the ball to drop a fifth of the height of the building

b) Find the time for the ball to reach the ground

Now, i feel fairly confident that i have solved this myself. Having converted this into a quadratic equation i have:

a) t = 1s

B) t = 3.385s

However, when checking my answer against an online caluclator (https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/physics/displacement_v_a_t.php) it states the answer is a complex conjugate. Now, i'm struggling to see how they have come up with a complex number here (i thought for it to be a complex number, the number you find the square root of (#^2- 4ac) had to be negative ie J = -1) but part of the course i am doing does involve complex numbers and i'm slightly worried they are trying to catch you out a bit.

Any help for a dunce would be appreciated. :D

I may have answered this if it had said Chinese 125 dropped from top of building. But it doesn't, so I don't care.

Noted for next time glorious mathematician.

I think there's an error in the calculator.

If I put the speed and acceleration as negative values, then it gives the right answer

image.png

But, putting your numbers for part a (with t = 1) into the equation s = ut + 1/2gt^2 you get

25 = 20 + 0.5*10

which is correct.

My guess is that the person writing the page confused themselves by writing the equation as ut + 1/2gt^2 - s = 0, which led them to messed up the signs.