Module 1 - members test experiences

Just got back from my mod 1 test and I've passed! No rider faults so I'm well happy. I was convinced I'd messed up. I was fine with my nerves until I parked in the green bay, then everything started whizzing through my head. The slalom felt tighter, my figure of 8 seemed wider than I've done in practice and my controlled stop I thought I had finished in 2nd! But I managed to keep going.

Can't wait for my mod 2 now!

• 3 weeks later...

Passed Mod 1 today,3rd time lucky!

First attempt was after my DAS in March,had zero confidence but managed to wobble my way through most of it.Failed for stalling 3 times between manoeuvres(foot down).Probably a good thing in hindsight,so spurred on to improve.

Practised solidly and had second attempt last week.Everything went brilliantly,was relaxed and almost enjoying it, until the swerve where I clipped a cone! Even the examiner was surprised.Gutted.

Third attempt this morning,was more nervous than last week,but got through it with one minor for being a bit late on the rear brake on the emergency stop. Well chuffed and now waiting for a Mod 2 cancellation.

Thanks I’m actually looking forward to it. I kinda wanted to pass on my first attempt (get back in your box ego) but now I’ve failed the first time I feel quite relaxed although slightly bordering on petulant child “don’t care, didn’t want it anyway” Oh I lie!!!

Update- yay, it went well- as in the right way :D pink champagnes ok for lunch isnt it?!

The examiner was the same as before, found him courteous, professional and pleasant. Almost messed it up in exactly the same place, thinking ok “avoid the white line as you pull away for the u turn. What r u doing? Stop 👀 ng at the (swear word) white line you idiot, aargh I am”

Pulled it back before disaster. Apart from that all good!

Cheers m’dears. Am happy I passed and rather pleasantly surprised by how nice the examiner was, very professional and neutral but kinda a little happy for me too!

Yes, onto mod 2, not really expecting a first pass on that because Bristol can be a tricky place if your not familiar with it and I have some bad habits but heyho I will conquer eventually!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, had my MOD 1 yesterday at Shieldhall, Glasgow. Glad to say it was a pass.

Was there early and had someone else from the training school ahead of me so I got a sneak at what was to come.

Was fairly relaxed, document check then head outside and gear up. Examiner opened the gate and in we went to the green box for the manual handling.

Moved the bike to the 2nd bay. (Was 3 in total.) Started on the slalom and into figure of 8, went pretty smoothly. Next onto the slow ride, was a bit wobbly and veered off the straight line a bit at the start but got it back under control and into the box ready for the U turn. U turn looked narrow but there was plenty of room. Next up the controlled stop, no issues. Emergency stop, too slow first time so got it 2nd tme. Finally hazard avoidance, no issues. Headed for the gate, parked up and told I'd passed.

Had a minor for the front brake, was a bit jerky on it in the stops.

What I took away from it was, don't panic, just relax and take your time there's plenty. When the examiner wants you to turn around and pull up by him, take the room you need and remember the lifesavers/observations.

The DVSA website has a plan of the area which gives you an idea of how it is laid out.

Next up, Mod 2!

Hi all, had my MOD 1 yesterday at Shieldhall, Glasgow. Glad to say it was a pass.

Was there early and had someone else from the training school ahead of me so I got a sneak at what was to come.

Was fairly relaxed, document check then head outside and gear up. Examiner opened the gate and in we went to the green box for the manual handling.

Moved the bike to the 2nd bay. (Was 3 in total.) Started on the slalom and into figure of 8, went pretty smoothly. Next onto the slow ride, was a bit wobbly and veered off the straight line a bit at the start but got it back under control and into the box ready for the U turn. U turn looked narrow but there was plenty of room. Next up the controlled stop, no issues. Emergency stop, too slow first time so got it 2nd tme. Finally hazard avoidance, no issues. Headed for the gate, parked up and told I'd passed.

Had a minor for the front brake, was a bit jerky on it in the stops.

What I took away from it was, don't panic, just relax and take your time there's plenty. When the examiner wants you to turn around and pull up by him, take the room you need and remember the lifesavers/observations.

The DVSA website has a plan of the area which gives you an idea of how it is laid out.

Next up, Mod 2!

Hi bspointer - who are you training with? I have my Mod1 booked for mid-July at Shieldhall through Ride On.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this forum and I'm midway through a DAS course (no previous experience) so I thought I'd share :-)

I'm training with a school based in Wimborne, Dorset - I rode an MT-07 for my 700cc conversion day, which I loved. For the mod1 training they swapped me to a XJ600 which I absolutely hated. Couldn't get the clutch right, seemed not only really heavy compared to the MT-07 but also felt top heavy, so I really struggled on the balance. Still, got through the training day, so rocked up to mod1 feeling a bit nervous.

Test day 1: Very nervous. Dropped the bike on the second(!) slalom cone. Total time on the bike that afternoon - 15 seconds. Sigh. Examiner jokingly suggested herbal refreshments to calm me down next time :-)

Repeat mod1 training day - this time on a (requested) MT-07. Absolutely nailed everything. No problems at all, easy peasy.

Test day 2: Foot down on the third slalom cone. Total time on the bike that afternoon - 20 seconds. Double sigh. The examiner (same guy as before) threw his hands up in the air and shouted 'what did you do that for?!'.

Repeat mod1 training day, again - same as before, apart from a little extra ribbing from the instructor about how I must be really fond of him to keep coming back. All day at 33 degree heat in a bike jacket over sunburn doing 4 miles an hour is no fun either!

Test day 3: Nervous, but took 15 mins practice in the side road by the test centre. Screwed up pretty much everything I attempted, so adopted the mindset that it didn't really matter and I'd just give it a go and if the worst happened again I'd pick up a 125 and give it 3 months practice before I did this again. Came to the test and flew through everything: not one minor. Couldn't have done it better if I'd tried.

My take away from this is that mod1 is as much a mental exercise as a bike control one: can you retain control of a motorbike in an odd, stressful situation.

As an aside, Poole test centre is a bit crap - they only test on wednesdays, the test pan is on a noticeable slope, and the high speed manoeuvre circuit has to wrap round some buildings, up and down 2 dips and the wrong way up a one way street. However, the examiners there are great - laid back, friendly, and really trying their best to make it a fun experience. If anyone reads this and, like me, thinks they'll never pass this stupid test - keep at it, familiarity and practice will get you there!

• 2 weeks later...

You are absolutely right about it being a mental test. I have been riding my 125 since October last year and ridden 6000 miles in all weather so I thought i would have nailed the Mod 1.

I failed my Mod 1 stalling on the slalom. Rest of test was fine. Nerves got the better of me.

I find the figure of 8 and the U turn to be the hardest things to do, U turn in particular. In practice I know i can do it, the bike wont fall over but i still find it to be really fecking hard!

I my second go at Mod 1 on Monday and i am already bricking it :-( -

It is frustrating as I feel like i am a reasonably competent rider, on a 125 at least. I am less concerned about my Mod 2, if i ever manage to get my Mod 1 that is!