Do you wash your armoured textile clothing?

With the weather and the heat output from my newly acquired big bike, I'm sweating cobs. How does a gentleman biker keep his gear clean and sweetly smelling? Does this stuff go in the washing machine? With armour??

Yes... but remove the armour first.

if the gear is either waterproof or otherwise treated its CRUCIAL that there is no washing powder residue in the washing machine drawer. that is very important as it will ruin the gears ability to 'bead' water. if there is.. wash it clean.

to wash your gear you will need to use NIKWAX TECHWASH. which you can buy online or any outdoor/camping place.. or go outdoors. and follow the instructions on the bottle and the care label on the gear.

DO NOT use any kind of conditioner.

hang it up to dry.. and let it dry naturally. (unless the care label says it can be tumbled) then replace the armour. It will likely drip for a while.. so either hang it outside or put some towels or similar underneath.

and thats about it.

Edited by Gerontious

Washing your textiles?......how quaint. ..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Although I seem to remember that you're meant to wash Goretex textiles from time to time, others the little holes bung up and it doesn't breathe any more. Not that I've ever bothered. :D

Washing your textiles?......how quaint. ..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Although I seem to remember that you're meant to wash Goretex textiles from time to time, others the little holes bung up and it doesn't breathe any more. Not that I've ever bothered. :D

Had mine in the machine three times in 3 years. On the instructions it encourages you to wash them. Last time I did, forgot to take the back protector out. I didn’t know until I took them out. I then realised why the washing machine made a bit more noise than normal :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

After 6 months of everyday commuting i've decided to throw my gear in the wash, armour out, all zips closed and velcro's fastened, the machine set up on delicates/hand wash.

The jacket seemed to lose some of the waterproofness on the arms shoulder and axilla. Hopefully this will fix it, not that it bothers me... it doesn't help commuting on a proper chuck down! :lol:

I'm using the NixWax tech detergent for waterproof textiles.