Hayabusa Gen 1 (2000) F1 warning light

Tankbag

150 mile ride, ran perfectly, 1/2 hour stop, fired up instantly cut out with the F1 light flashing :shock:

Turned out to be the10amp fuse blown on the fuel pump circuit, its an 18 year old bike & Slowbusa posted this reply some time ago, I didn't know my fuel pump could gum up. Here is my question, should I get new fuel pump ? Oh & replaced the fuse perfect ride back home.

Good to know what the problem is though

Some bikes are prone to fuel pump gumming up...(Hayabusa 1999-2001 gums up)...its not anyones fault except manufacturer

Some petrols have fuel cleaner in them....Shell V Power Unleaded does & a bonus is the engine runs a bit smoother

How long have you had bike And Are they charging you for the work?

Edited by Tankbag

I would change the fuse.. go to a Halfords. Buy a bottle of Injector cleaner for Petrol engines.. add that to a full tank of SHELL fuelsave unleaded.. and see wha happens.

its not just the highest grade shell that has cleaning additives.. they all do. including the base unleaded.

(its called fuelsave.. because a clean fuel system means a more efficient engine)

If this doesn't work.. then you will have to look at other options... but giving the fuel system a flush with 'cleaners' and cleaning petrol.. isn't expensive and just might work.. at worst the other parts of the fuel system will be cleaned out, fuel lines.. injectors. (or carbs) and combustion chamber.

Thanks for the reply Gerontious, I'll try some cleaner, I always use fuel stabiliser in winter, but I can't get away without thinking about what caused the fuse to blow ? If the fuel pump was gummed would it show up with the bikes power delivery which after I'd replaced the fuse was normal. Are there any other systems powered off that fuse as well ?

Quick look at a wiring diagram shows the fuse feeds the fuel relay and a connection on the speedo. Then after the relay it goes to the ECU, the fuel pump and the injectors.

I would change the fuse.. go to a Halfords. Buy a bottle of Injector cleaner for Petrol engines.. add that to a full tank of SHELL fuelsave unleaded.. and see wha happens.

giving the fuel system a flush with 'cleaners' and cleaning petrol.. isn't expensive and just might work.. at worst the other parts of the fuel system will be cleaned out, fuel lines.. injectors. (or carbs) and combustion chamber.

[mention]Tankbag[/mention] Do what [mention]Gerontious[/mention] suggests

DONT ...and I cant stress this enough! Dont touch the pump!

Its a huge Can of Worms that will constantly leak and cause no end of running problems once its touched

Most people who do touch it end up changing the complete fueling system because its just such a Bitch!

Just clean it out chemically as suggested and you will be Ok

If normal cleaning fluids dont work for you BG do an amazing cleaner that I actually noticed better performance after 2 Miles !

http://r.ebay.com/kvb2ID

Fuses age......heat and vibration can cause the fuse wire to fracture.....I wouldn't be too worried about an 18 year old fuse blowing......but if the new fuse blows, then you will need to investigate. ..... :wink:

Thanks for the replies

Slowbusa I am deffo not going to meddle with the fuel pump now I've read your post, I'll get some of that BG stuff :thumb: . Bikes due a service anyway

& I'm looking at replacing the Tokico calipers as mine have been troublesome even after a full seal refurb.

Bob,yep if the fuse goes again then summats up, after al everything is 18 years old, wiring connectors fur up etc, maybe time for all the fairings off & everything checked, the only thing I'm sure is peachy is the enngine :-D

I'm looking at replacing the Tokico calipers as mine have been troublesome even after a full seal refurb.

I changed my Calipers for Triumph (Nissin) 4 pot ones, and made a profit on selling the Busa 6 pots,

They make a Big difference

Odd thing is Gen 1 Busa owners want the 4 pot triumphs and the Triumph owners want the Busa Calipers

I changed my Calipers for Triumph (Nissin) 4 pot ones, and made a profit on selling the Busa 6 pots,

Odd thing is Gen 1 Busa owners want the 4 pot triumphs and the Triumph owners want the Busa Calipers

Do the Triumph Nissin ones simply swap out or is there some extra modding needed ? Thanks again

Do the Triumph Nissin ones simply swap out or is there some extra modding needed ? Thanks again

90mm between bolt holes and they will fit

There is a lot of bikes with them fitted not just triumph ;-)

90mm sounds right

If I remember I chose the Triumph ones because They were the ones that came up at reasonable cost on ebay and I was 100% sure they would fit

I was following a thread on hayabusa.org ....... unfortunately the site seems to have vanished now

If I remember right I bought them for £60 ish, then changed the seals and put new pads in

I then put the 6 pots on ebay advertised as "just taken off and are filthy! .... but when I get a chance to clean them up price will rise"

they sold for £85 "as is" in a matter of 2 days

and the new owner was absolutely delighted ............even though they were grubby as hell

90mm sounds right

If I remember I chose the Triumph ones because They were the ones that came up at reasonable cost on ebay and I was 100% sure they would fit

I was following a thread on hayabusa.org ....... unfortunately the site seems to have vanished now

If I remember right I bought them for £60 ish, then changed the seals and put new pads in

I then put the 6 pots on ebay advertised as "just taken off and are filthy! .... but when I get a chance to clean them up price will rise"

they sold for £85 "as is" in a matter of 2 days

and the new owner was absolutely delighted ............even though they were grubby as hell

I can guarantee its 90mm between centres :lol: this is a popular mod on the tl1000s to replace the shocking 4 pot tokico calipers

There is some older gsxr's that use them 400's and 1100's bandits rf900 and many more

[mention]Hoggs[/mention] took my advice and changed hers on the zx6 too

There is a lot of info on here already about them try searching for nissin and see if it brings anything up I did put up a list of bikes at some point too

Just clean it out chemically as suggested and you will be Ok

If normal cleaning fluids dont work for you BG do an amazing cleaner that I actually noticed better performance after 2 Miles !

http://r.ebay.com/kvb2ID

Slowbusa my BG44K has arrived but no instructions on dilution, its a 325ml tin how much did you pour in your busa ? Thanks

I would use half a can.. but its probably very volatile so the remainder will need to be stored in a glass jar and kept somewhere cool. well away from flame.

add it to a low level tank and then fill up. you should then fill up again when the tank is half full.. so the action goes on for as long as possible.

its likely not too different to the equivalent product from Wynns.. and a bottle of that is for a standard fuel tank in a car.. I use half. (rather a little too much than too little) it had zero effect on the petrol/engine/power characteristics. (because its so volatile)

Edited by Gerontious

1 can treats 14-16 gallons

If I remember I used 1/4 of the can per full fill up

You need to pour it in the tank Then add the fuel in One Go at the pump so it mixes

You may notice a little smoke coming from your exhaust, but it dosnt last long, its burning the crap its cleaning

Thanks Gerontious & Slowbusa :thumb:

As far as the brakes I quite like that my bike is stock but yes 18 years old, so, I'm wondering about just brand new Tokico calipers / master cyclinder front & rear. What do you Chaps think ?