Oh Dear

Gerontious

Tony, I am so pleased you've taken this career path. As you know I've been working in this field for over 25 years. If there's any advice you need, please PM me.

What you're doing is very cool.

Enhanced DBS check is pretty straightforward, I must have about four of them at the moment as they aren't transferable between jobs.

Have to take issue with this I'm afraid! :lol:

The old CRB checks weren't transferable the new DBS including enhanced are!

My Mrs, Susieque, is a Kumon instructor, she has to have the enhanced check, as do all her staff.

Provided that each employer is registered with the updates service, the employee simply gives their DBS certificate number to their new employer

and it can be used by different employers.

EG: 1 of Sue's staff works at a school so has the enhanced check, she and Sue both registered with the update service,

Sue no longer has to pay for another check to be done. :lol:

With quite a high staff turnover this saves her a fair bit :lol:

Not entirely the case - it depends on the organisation. Which is why I have four because every organisation I'm involved with won't accept transferred DBS checks.

I agree , it is my understanding that a transferable DBS is at the discretion of the new employer and that time elapsed since it was last done may be a factor . I get the impression that most employers ere on the side of caution and will require a new one . I should stress however that this is purely based on what my Jobcentre customers feed back to me .

My son is autistic as is my step brother. Autism is fascinating, although organisations like the national autistic society want to "cure" autism. May sound weird but i wouldnt have my son any other way, i wouldnt want him "cured", hes not disabled, just different. Anyway, im rambling.

Its admirable work youll be doing, and it truly does make a difference to their lives.

Good on ya!

I have mild Asperger's syndrome myself and although I have struggled through some difficult times in the past I wouldn't have it any other way . I consider it a gift to be able to see things differently. Interestingly I was only officially diagnosed when I was 52 . I really should get off my arse and change my job to one where I am making a difference to people who are more negatively affected by the condition.

• 3 weeks later...

Well-I-Never.

Today I had the phone call..appear at the local head office on Monday July 2nd at 09:30 for a weeks "Induction training"

Its taken quite a while to jump through all the various hoops. But, thats that.

Wow congratulations. I am impressed. It will be interesting times!

I handed my notice in a couple of months ago after 20+ years working as a staff nurse for the same trust, a lot of the time is was hard but I’m looking back now happy I spent time doing something good.

I’m always impressed by anyone who can or even tries to care for other people. Big thumbs up :thumb:

ps I was always considered very professional so any swearing or bad behaviour I have alluded to on this forum happened after I left the profession.... honest :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

completed the induction week over the past 5 days.. so much to get to grips with, especially the legislation and its implications which isn't as straightforward as I, rather naively. thought it might have been.

Wednesday was my first "shadow shift' where I finally found out the precise location of the place Im going to be based at (1.4 miles from my front door) and met the 3 guys who are being supported, 3 guys.. with 3 very different sets of issues. But, not bad at all.. I think Ive really fallen on my feet with these 3. They have full mobility. No continence problems, can communicate and have no problems with the mechanics of eating.. so a whole set of problems that i was just a tad concerned about adjusting to, actually don't exist. Which is fantastic. 2 of the guys can prepare their own food.. up to a point. the 3rd is far more dependent and needs a lot of prompting.

Autism isn't the biggest issue.. its just one of many. two of the guys are bi-polar and have learning difficulties and are occasional self harmers. The one is very slobbery and emotionally 'needy' and the other exists on a knife edge.. with fairly frequent crises. (and given to very loud outbursts.) he was very reticent with me as a stranger.. while the other two were just fine. From the off.

Another "Shadow shift" tomorrow and then I should be starting properly. Its all very laid back.. the Manager is a great guy.. easy going but very professional when needs must. No problem with the holiday I have arranged for September.. nor the other commitments I have. But there is a question to be answered fairly soon and thats about the shift pattern I want to work. The manager is in favour of a 3 day week.. so 2 x 14hr days and 1 x 9hr.. with 4 days to 'recover'. Thats been offered as an option.. but its largely up to me to decide how I want my week to pan out. Im not really sure about a 14hr day to be honest. Ive done 12hr days in the past and that was grim enough. Night shifts are generally being paid to sleep-over.. So.. we'll see.

3 months on probation at the end of which I should get a "Care certificate"

An update.

completed the induction week over the past 5 days.. so much to get to grips with, especially the legislation and its implications which isn't as straightforward as I, rather naively. thought it might have been.

Wednesday was my first "shadow shift' where I finally found out the precise location of the place Im going to be based at (1.4 miles from my front door) and met the 3 guys who are being supported, 3 guys.. with 3 very different sets of issues. But, not bad at all.. I think Ive really fallen on my feet with these 3. They have full mobility. No continence problems, can communicate and have no problems with the mechanics of eating.. so a whole set of problems that i was just a tad concerned about adjusting to, actually don't exist. Which is fantastic. 2 of the guys can prepare their own food.. up to a point. the 3rd is far more dependent and needs a lot of prompting.

Autism isn't the biggest issue.. its just one of many. two of the guys are bi-polar and have learning difficulties and are occasional self harmers. The one is very slobbery and emotionally 'needy' and the other exists on a knife edge.. with fairly frequent crises. (and given to very loud outbursts.) he was very reticent with me as a stranger.. while the other two were just fine. From the off.

Another "Shadow shift" tomorrow and then I should be starting properly. Its all very laid back.. the Manager is a great guy.. easy going but very professional when needs must. No problem with the holiday I have arranged for September.. nor the other commitments I have. But there is a question to be answered fairly soon and thats about the shift pattern I want to work. The manager is in favour of a 3 day week.. so 2 x 14hr days and 1 x 9hr.. with 4 days to 'recover'. Thats been offered as an option.. but its largely up to me to decide how I want my week to pan out. Im not really sure about a 14hr day to be honest. Ive done 12hr days in the past and that was grim enough. Night shifts are generally being paid to sleep-over.. So.. we'll see.

Great update. Wondered how you were getting on but didn’t want to be nosey. The shift pattern sounds hard. They imposed 12hr shifts on the majority of staff in Bristol and it caused an exodus because some people found them too much, others however were much happier because they had more days to themselves. The night shifts sound good though! What does a Care certificate cover, is it something issued in your county or something nationally recognised?

What does a Care certificate cover, is it something issued in your county or something nationally recognised?

Its for non regulated staff.. and covers a lot of what people on the (regulated) medical side learn during their training. Its nationally recognised.

covers things like duty of care. privacy and dignity, safeguarding adults (and/or Children) mental health, dementia and learning disabilities.. and so on. So, if i decided i wanted a change... perhaps working with Downs... it proves that i know all the basics to start immediately with only minor additional training for their specific needs.

A fair few of those at the induction are getting their certificate as parts of a "Hands-on" work experience during the summer holidays.. of the 15.. at least 4 that I know of are at Uni doing various degrees and this is viewed as a very important part of what will eventually be their CV.

Uh ok that sounds good. Did a placement in what was termed (at the time) as a ‘learning difficulties’ home and nearly switched branch at the end of it, it was very rewarding.

There’s an enourmous amount to take on board looking out of the welfare of others. Power to your elbow.

Nice one, Tony. All the best with the next shift.

A 14 hour shift sounds grim. I've done 3x12hours + 4 days off before, and by the end of the 3 days on, I was fairly worn out.

Mrs Beefy is starting a very similar job soon. Awaiting her final reference, she’s caring for one girl who requires 24 hour care and is joining a team. It sounds like a great rewarding job, where she’s going to be this girls friend rather just than her carer.

Great work but is it ethical to be discussing your patients conditions on a public forum.

They remain anonymous. And it would take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. More likely a clairvoyant. For example... When I first applied they used my first name.. This isn't the same as my given name, and I didn't bother to correct that. So, I'm as anonymous as my... err... "Patients".

An update.

You've just described my family ... except the bit " no continence problems "

Nice one Tony, My sister did something very similar to you and it gave her great satisfaction.

She got to take them on great holidays all over the world with a few carers.

Hope all is well and good luck in your new Job matey :thumb: