Radio on Scala Rider

Does anyone have one of these and can tell me how to use it?

I have had a Scala Rider Q3 for a while, but only ever used it to stream music from my phone via bluetooth, and for directions since getting a TomTom.

That all works fine, but now I would also like to be able to use the radio yet have no idea how!

The manual says in standby mode if you press the MM button (the bigger square one) once it will play music over bluetooth and pressing it twice will turn on the radio. Bit even with nothing playing, pressing twice still skips to the next track on the phone's Music app, even though it is not playing.

I had assumed when you are not playing anything over bluetooth it was in standby mode, but the manual does not explain what standby mode is or how to get into it.

The only time I can get the radio to work is when I do not have the phone connected. And getting the phone out and turning bluetooth on and off whilst riding is neither ideal nor legal.

I also have the q3 and radio works fine for me although I never have Bluetooth music playing from the phone!

Standby mode is when you have just turned it on and nothing is connected ie no audio coming through from intercom sat nav or music

I have noticed on other Bluetooth devices that when my phone connects to them if I have been playing music then the music app opens and is ready to play music at the same point it was last playing ie as if it had been paused and not actually stopped

Maybe it's an app issue?

I have the q1 but the instructions are the same. Turn the unit on, them press MM once for the music from the phone.

Press MM twice for radio. Press MM three times for the programmed phone number.

When the radio has been called, press and hold either + or - to scan for a radio station

If music is being streamed from the phone a double pres of MM changes to the previous track. A long press of MM will switch music streaming off and put the unit into standby.

I have the Q3 and only ever tried the radio by opening the app and selecting radio there.

While on the subject, does anyone know if the Q3 is compatible with other non-scala bluetooth headsets?

If music is being streamed from the phone a double pres of MM changes to the previous track. A long press of MM will switch music streaming off and put the unit into standby.

Okay, so fiddled with it some more, and I think (as in it works sometimes) there is a delay before it goes into standby, so you need to leave a long pause between the long press to end music and the double press for the radio. But there are no tones to indicate when this happens. And after a while it seems to not go into standby at all, and only controls the music so then you need to turn the device off and on.

I have the Q3 and only ever tried the radio by opening the app and selecting radio there.

I never thought of using the app, as it is not an option when riding (at least not without mounting it on the bars and touch sensitive gloves) but that seems to prove the above. If you play music the radio button is greyed out, and stays that way for a while after you stop it before it can be selected. Thanks.

The incoming audio source holds on to the Bluetooth connection for about 15 seconds before freeing it up

Ie if sat nav was speaking then it will hold on to the connection for 15 seconds after it finished before you could do anything else

If I find a spare minute or two I will see how it works for me and see if I have the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry, forgot to say thank you, Stu.

It seems my problem was the 15 seconds wait you mentioned, if I do that it works fine. A shame it is nor mentioned in the manual. When wanting to switch from bluetooth to FM I had not given it that long so it was still sending the presses to my phone instead.