Brilliant

manxie49

I can’t say I’m totally thrilled by this as I remember my ol’ Pa saying about this being tried before-

“they would make out like they wanted to burn up then when they got them up to enough speed nick them”

Not that I’m advocating racing on a public highway but it seems kinda mean and legally dodgy on the entrapment front.

were the bikes stolen? were these people involved in moped crime.. or just daft riders?

its unclear.. the fact that all three bikes had number plates kinda rules out that they were involved in street crime.

I would be rather more impressed if the bikes were missing the number plates.. and I would be even more impressed if GMP actually mentioned this in their twitter account.

so.. maybe not the huge deal the paper is making of it.. just a few idiot scooter riders on L plates riding like plonkers.

were the bikes stolen? were these people involved in moped crime.. or just daft riders?

its unclear.. the fact that all three bikes had number plates kinda rules out that they were involved in street crime.

I would be rather more impressed if the bikes were missing the number plates.. and I would be even more impressed if GMP actually mentioned this in their twitter account.

so.. maybe not the huge deal the paper is making of it.. just a few idiot scooter riders on L plates riding like plonkers.

Yes I’d be happier if I new what they’d supposedly done. Side swiping spotty youths of their mopeds in such a manner leaves everyone to conclude it must of been bad but if so why not say “on suspicion of blah blah”

I think they were stolen and they were riding like pratts. We don't get too much London style crimes here where they have mopeds with no plates, we do get a lot of little shits stealing them and riding them like dicks though.

I saw this on the TV news!

At least they're doing something!

Im all for this, and It is about Bloody Time!

Even If they were not thieves Ive observed some legal moped riders riding dangerously, they seem to think they are in sons of anarchy.

Eventually they will be removed from the Gene pool OR cause death/injury to others

I read on a you tube feed that they were moped thieves, whatever they did they fell foul of the law and this certainly gets a message out there, I'd like to shake those officers by the hand .... :cheers:

The more I read about moped and bike crime the more wasteful I think it is to have all those highly trained firearms officers kicking around with nothing to do except accidentally execute the occasional random commuter for looking a bit foreign. What a waste of a resource!

I may decide to go into politics you know, and then there will be changes to street policing - a bit like the death squads they have in Brazil, but with the ability to give directions to Madame Tussaud's.

How does it? The vast majority of stolen vehicle run false plates rather than no plates. Either of the bikes could also have been recently stolen.

Th fact that one of them legged it instantly when in reality had he been a law abiding citizen he should have been rolling round the road like a spainsh center forward looking at the pound signs in the impending insurance claim.

I doubt the police did it without justification had they not been a flight risk they would have just pulled them with the marked bike, can you imagine the stick they would have got on here had they tried that and they just fooked off in different directions.

Being young and spotty is no defense for riding like a tit or being a twat, ohh pillion on a moped with L plates too, i would have shot them all in the foot, that would have secured there inability to run.

When I worked plain clothes, the neds would often run because they thought they were about to get a kicking from a rival gang. They would be relived when they found out we were the police!

If the plan is to have a marked police bike along with the unmarked bikes, that is good, or else who is to say it is not bikers attacking scooterists in a new mods vs rockers for the millennium?

How does it? The vast majority of stolen vehicle run false plates rather than no plates. Either of the bikes could also have been recently stolen.

The news story isn't about stolen vehicles, The police have said nothing about these bikes being stolen. this news story has only emerged after 7 weeks due to a video from a passing car.. and is only a story because its been linked to Moped street crime in London. Manchester action versus London inaction.

And GMP make no comment whatsoever. which, to me is the strangest thing of all about this tabloid news story. Catching bike thieves and returning bikes to owners is.. and always has been a big deal because it so rarely happens. Catching Moped street criminals.. with stolen mobiles, watches and so on recovered. thats also a fairly big deal that coppers like to shout about.

but.. there is nothing to suggest these bikes actually were stolen... or involved in street crime. Just that mopeds that had stopped at a junction were dramatically intercepted and detained. and thats the sum total of this story.. everything else is just unsubstantiated froth added by London based tabloid news editors and the original videos sharing/licensing site.

I’ve always been wary of assumption. To assess what’s before you accurately you have to not fill in the narrative. What did you actually see?

Two youths on mopeds being dismounted by two policemen. That’s it. That’s all you can say definitely happened. The rest is assumption.

You assume they must of been really bad because the police were after them.

Yes one of them ran away- kinda, he ran to the roundabout but didn’t flee for quite some time. You’d be amazed what people do in stressful situations and what people assume they should do. Many a conviction or public condemnation is based incorrectly on how others thought the person should react.

Maybe they are awful thieving absconders who need intervention but legitimately tell me why, don’t take me for a mug who automatically thinks the police are always right in every situation. I’m on the side of anyone tackling theft but carte blanche- no not to anyone.

Yes but every one missing the point of them putting an officer at risk in front of moving mopeds, that's not done lightly

There was a marked bike which would have been used had there not been a risk of them buggering off.

The lad that did a runner did said runner when he realised it was the old bill, he stopped at the roundabout at the first instance probably trying to work out how bad a pasting they were going to get and who they had upset.

Carrying a pillion with L plates on a moped is enough for me, riding not in accordance with a licence, insurance out the window, bike should be crushed and they should still be shot in the foot.

It does seem that these days you don,t see many police cars about but unmarked ones are every where. This is good I think, at least it makes everyone think twice about doing anything too illegal and stupid.

So according to today’s MCN, GMP said they were believed to be riding without insurance, the mopeds were seized and no arrests made.

Now, while this is a crime and can be a pointer to other potential offences, was this an over reaction? It’s not like they had refused to pull over !!

I wonder what would have happened if one of the culprits had been seriously injured?

Also can we now expect GMP to start ramming uninsured car drivers? - it would be mayhem if the numbers are to be believed!

...Also can we now expect GMP to start ramming uninsured car drivers? - it would be mayhem if the numbers are to be believed!

Not necessary. GMP regularly set up road blocks on all the main roads around Manchester and pull over everybody without insurance, no VED, bald tyres, suspected terrorists, people eating, smoking and using their phones etc.

So according to today’s MCN, GMP said they were believed to be riding without insurance, the mopeds were seized and no arrests made.

Now, while this is a crime and can be a pointer to other potential offences, was this an over reaction? It’s not like they had refused to pull over !!

I wonder what would have happened if one of the culprits had been seriously injured?

Also can we now expect GMP to start ramming uninsured car drivers? - it would be mayhem if the numbers are to be believed!

Any chance of a link? I’ve had a look and can’t find it myself. I’d like to see if it says “believed to be riding without insurance” which is not at all the same as “they were riding without insurance”

“Ride without insurance and we’ll knock you off” or maybe “do get insurance and we will knock you off anyway”

Riding without insurance should def be stamped out, over reaction mehh, officer pulling in front probably tried to get there before they moved and then probably decided he was committed once they started.

I don't belive in this crushing malarkey what a waste, sell the bloody things or sell them to registered dismantling companies.

As for no charges that's just a joke.

Riding without insurance should def be stamped out, over reaction mehh, officer pulling in front probably tried to get there before they moved and then probably decided he was committed once they started.

I don't belive in this crushing malarkey what a waste, sell the bloody things or sell them to registered dismantling companies.

As for no charges that's just a joke.

No arrests doesn't mean no charges.