What do you use for navigation?

Guest bikerkate

There's this fantastic new product that's coming out that I really like the look of, it's called Beeline Moto, they're not near completion yet, but from an outside look of this it sounds fantastic, I really like the concept and will probably end up buying one when they release it.

https://beeline.co/

">

Did you not read the first post :lol:

Does Waze have live traffic and speed camera locations?

yes

OK that's good then, I might try it one day. I tried Co Pilot a few years ago, which was OK but all the useful features had to be paid for. So in the end I went for the Tomtom App along side my Tomtom 400 as a back up. I also have Sygic which is good and very customisable.

Edited by raesewell

The whole purpose of Waze is that it crowd sources traffic data, both from users reporting problems and by analysing traffic speeds. It is a source of traffic information on Google Maps.

yes

OK that's good then, I might try it one day. I tried Co Pilot a few years ago, which was OK but all the useful features had to be paid for. So in the end I went for the Tomtom App along side my Tomtom 400 as a back up. I also have Sygic which good and very customisable.

I've also used Scenic as it is more configurable than Waze but there are in app purchases to get the best from it. But Waze has met all my requirements for a sat nav so far. Perhaps I'm not that demanding as I just want route info. In the car it is very good at picking up the speed cameras and other annoyances enroute. You can help other Waze users by live plotting incidents, hazards, mobile cameras etc as you go along, though that does mean touching the phone. I've never done that on the bike as my gloves aren't touch sensitive and I prefer to concentrate on riding.

My demands of a sat nav are quite high, we tour the UK and Europe quite extensively. I plan quite long routes in advance and then transfer them to the unit.

The planning tools that I use are ITN Converter, Tyre To Travel, MyRouteApp as well as Tomtom MyDrive and occasionally MotoGoLoco. All of these planners have good and not so good points. I have not yet found one that incorporates all of the good points, although ITN Converter comes close.

There's this fantastic new product that's coming out that I really like the look of, it's called Beeline Moto, they're not near completion yet, but from an outside look of this it sounds fantastic, I really like the concept and will probably end up buying one when they release it.

">

Oh. Oops. I never actually saw the first post, I saw what I thought was the first post. Turns out when you open up a thread in a new page it puts you onto a random page as opposed to the first one. I did wonder why the first post was someone saying "Use google maps"

">

Oh. Oops. I never actually saw the first post, I saw what I thought was the first post. Turns out when you open up a thread in a new page it puts you onto a random page as opposed to the first one. I did wonder why the first post was someone saying "Use google maps"

:lol:

If you clicked on the topic icon it will take you to the first unread post which is why you ended up in the middle of the thread you must have either viewed the thread before or marked all topics read :thumb:

I bought 3 AA Road Atlases for a pound each and cut 2 of them up and stuck all the pieces on the wall with blutac . Now I can gaze at a great big map of Scotland without moving a muscle.

WP_20180628_19_59_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.373b64b0dcb8779e4a14e21880cd22ec.jpg

Yes it has live traffic, re-routing, and speed camera alerts(saved me once or twice), and hazards. It doesn't use much internet anyways.

I'm using it in the car mostly. :D.

Yes it has live traffic, re-routing, and speed camera alerts(saved me once or twice), and hazards. It doesn't use much internet anyways.

I'm using it in the car mostly. :D.

Thank you, that question had already been answered and commented on, keep up :D :D

I bought 3 AA Road Atlases for a pound each and cut 2 of them up and stuck all the pieces on the wall with blutac . Now I can gaze at a great big map of Scotland without moving a muscle.

[mention]fastbob[/mention] This is my control center as some friends call it :D

Each peg is a photo location, there was 277 at start of year. There is still 54 white pegs that you can't see. Trouble is we live at Red pin at bottom of map!!!IMG_20180629_125445279.thumb.jpg.50f385689a369bfa9e5086b1d803b940.jpg

@fastbob This is my control center as some friends call it :D

Each peg is a photo location, there was 277 at start of year. There is still 54 white pegs that you can't see. Trouble is we live at Red pin at bottom of map!!!IMG_20180629_125445279.jpg

I always wondered how pin manufacturers kept going, as their business model seems rather restrictive in the age of sat navs. Now I know.

• 1 month later...

I currently use a garmin zumo, with a cardo freecom 1 headset. The package works well, is totally waterproof, works with gloves, and has a dedicated docking station. It is a good system. but expensive.

My buying choices were - waterproof, glove response, docking station, and Bluetooth, and this delivers everything.

When I delivered cars nationwide I at first used a cheap garmin satnav but later when I lost the garmin I shifted to using a Samsung phone with their native gps and it worked so well I just kep using it and never replaced the garmin.

The Samsung phone and gps even worked satisfactorily when later I was a white van driver doing multidrop. Multidrop is very demanding for a gps and the mobile phone worked fine.

Mobile phones suffer from connectivity and battery issues but as long as they have a data connection and have power they are a good solution for general use.

I can see why many riders use mobile phones on bikes in waterproof enclosures.

Even the dedicated rider satnavs suffer the satnav blues, namely stoically and insistently routing you where you don't want to go, and perversely taking you round the houses in circles periodically.

I believe that they simply are trying to reassure us by delivering a crap navigator like when we had to rely on the other half using a paper map when going on holidays. We sometimes need the reassurance of having something to blame for our arriving late.

Even the dedicated rider satnavs suffer the satnav blues, namely stoically and insistently routing you where you don't want to go, and perversely taking you round the houses in circles periodically.

Ive never experienced that. my zumo is 9 years old and routes to a destination without any issues based on whatever settings I use.. which depends on the kind of route I want to take. it only gets "interesting" if i ask it to use the shortest route.. because then it can and does often take me down fairly nadgery roads that i might usually bypass. which is more often that not great fun.

I've become a dedicated satnav fan....

Also have a zumo (2nd hand) was mentioning to someone it's annoying not being able to have mid route stop points and he laughed and said if I bothered to update it it will now do that.

So guess that's this weekend's job :lol:

I've become a dedicated satnav fan....

Also have a zumo (2nd hand) was mentioning to someone it's annoying not being able to have mid route stop points and he laughed and said if I bothered to update it it will now do that.

So guess that's this weekend's job :lol:

You just need to learn how to use it :lol:

I know how to use it but currently it won't do stop points. So I Google street veiw it beforehand and hope can remember what the turning for the stop looks like :lol:

I do a lot of route planning and use various tools to do this, ITN Converter, Tyre to Travel, Tomtom MyDrive, MotoGoLoco, MyRouteApp and others I can't remember.

There is always the problem of differentiating between shaping points and stops. One way around it is to split the routes and make your coffee or lunch stops the destination. Not ideal but it works.

I know how to use it but currently it won't do stop points. So I Google street veiw it beforehand and hope can remember what the turning for the stop looks like :lol:

Like I said you need to learn how to use it :lol:

Are you using Basecamp?

no I use myrouteapp and my friend has the same satnav but updated and he showed me how you can change the waypoints on his, looked at mine and went you need to update it!

Learn to use Basecamp for routes its alien to other programs and takes some learning but the results are worth it!

You can just add way points and stops as you go along!

The only thing I have found is that garmin doesn't have all points of interest like Google maps does which is probably what myrouteapp uses!

no I use myrouteapp and my friend has the same satnav but updated and he showed me how you can change the waypoints on his, looked at mine and went you need to update it!

Learn to use Basecamp for routes its alien to other programs and takes some learning but the results are worth it!

You can just add way points and stops as you go along!

The only thing I have found is that garmin doesn't have all points of interest like Google maps does which is probably what myrouteapp uses!

Must admit I've found basecamp a pain to use, although the YouTube videos you recommended were useful.

It's not intuitive at all!