Wire between clutch plates?

Justarn

WTF ? Why indeed , how or why that has got in there I have no idea . I can only assume it is the sorry aftermath of some horrible bodge or perhaps somebody was using it as an improvised tool and left it in there .

WTF ? Why indeed , how or why that has got in there I have no idea . I can only assume it is the sorry aftermath of some horrible bodge or perhaps somebody was using it as an improvised tool and left it in there .

I STAND CORRECTED! It's meant to be there ! Have a look at part 8 .https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xjr1200-1996-4pu3-england-264pu-300e1_model39180/partslist/0016.html#.WzZm9-JFw0N

Here's a close up from the same link , it looks a bit different from the drawing but definitely supposed to be there.

wp_ss_20180629_0002.thumb.png.a83c4376780dab15c0d2f21aa1e138cd.png

Yep, found it on the manual after lol, it had dislocated and way rubbing between my clutch plates. I've fitted it back in and my clutch now works and goes into neutral while running:-)

Also fitted my homemade clutch window while I was at it.

IMG_20180629_183836.thumb.jpg.48761791bf7787044fdddc020373a23a.jpg

Yep, found it on the manual after lol, it had dislocated and way rubbing between my clutch plates. I've fitted it back in and my clutch now works and goes into neutral while running:-)

Also fitted my homemade clutch window while I was at it.

Glad you sorted it . Would it not be wise to buy a new one ? How did you make the clutch window BTW?

It seemed pretty resilient to my bending, managed to seat it back it the groove tight. It cant really go anywhere if it comes out and I will know due to the clutch drag, if so a new one is a must I think.

I already had a gasket from the window project so whacked that on.

The middle of the xjr clutch cover bolts out, I bolted it out, cut off the bolt holes, bought high temp oil resistant mastic and lexan perspex. Cut it and masticed it on.... I've since added another bead around the rough bit bottom left.

The middle of the xjr clutch cover bolts out, I bolted it out, cut off the bolt holes, bought high temp oil resistant mastic and lexan perspex. Cut it and masticed it on.... I've since added another bead around the rough bit bottom left.

Fantastic, let us know how many miles you achieve before it falls out and dumps a sump full of oil over your rear tyre :thumb:. There are reasons why engine designers use bolted metal covers with gaskets......the ability to replace them with polyacrimide windows held in with glue generally isn't one of them.

Ok I get your point but sarcasm is a bit insulting tbh. Maybe I will refit the stock one. Although I'm pretty sure it would start weeping before it just falls out lol.