I now understand why puppy farms exist!

onesea

That’s nice someone’s always there keeping the homefires burning- not a particularly appropriate saying in this weather but you get the idea. It goes down really well with them if you’ve already puppy proofed your home, looked up the local training schools and had a look at the vets near you and have reasons why you like them. Buying a puppy book or two always goes down a storm, reading them is even better, the modern books have some useful stuff in them as dog training has moved on a lot in recent years. These things would pick you out as a preferable placement for a pup rather than just another person on a list. Let us know when superpup arrives 👍

Well the house is already baby proof, so I guess that's at least half way to puppy proof :lol: and we're spending the time doing a bit of reading up on training them and what's involved. We had a form to fill out but that was really about our living arrangements, and what kind of dog we want and how much time we can afford to look after the pup. Nothing about what preperation we're doing unfortunately. However we're doing the reading now and nothing is putting me off too much yet :) . We put down a labrador or similar breed as a preference, but honestly I think I'd be open to almost any breed :lol:

If you feel like your waiting too long and end up phoning them that’s a good time to say you have everything in place, failing that mention it on the home visit they tend to do. Puppies are like armed toddlers- lunatics with sharp chewy teeth! They squeeze through tiny gaps so if your already baby proof you’ll be almost there anyway just look for stuff they can squeeze under or through and any wires that are hidden enough from a baby but accessible to their little gnashers.

Some rescues don’t like households with children under 5yrs because puppies developing bones are soft and easily damaged and small children can accidentally do them a mischief so might be worth checking that if you still have young’ns.

Labrador type is a great family choice. If the person is right then lots of different types of dog would be fine but if you still have young kids I’d avoid anything with very strong guarding instincts, its fine n dandy until your kiddy and the neighbours kiddy have a fight or an unfamiliar person/child encroaches on the dogs guarded territory then it can become a whole different ball game when the protective pack instinct kicks in. Does this sound a bit like the RC MC thread?!

Anyhow I hope I’m not teaching you to suck eggs or anything it’s just I was a dog breeder for a short period and saw a lot of mistakes. Especially when people choose dogs based on looks not traits. You sound perfectly sensible though and if I was placing a puppy you would pass my first round!

No not at all, it’s insightful. We visited the dogs trust who advised we look towards puppies as the older dogs aren’t too good at integrating with small children. I also know all about the protective dogs thing as I was bitten by an Alsatian about 3 weeks ago - for being stood in the front garden and that was the father in laws :/.

I also know all about the protective dogs thing as I was bitten by an Alsatian about 3 weeks ago - for being stood in the front garden and that was the father in laws :/.

Has he still not got over you marrying his daughter :wink:

I also know all about the protective dogs thing as I was bitten by an Alsatian about 3 weeks ago - for being stood in the front garden and that was the father in laws :/.

Has he still not got over you marrying his daughter :wink:

He’s not my biggest fan :lol:

our dog is at the vets today till Fri.

She's having a big operation to remove a tumour.

It's surprising how much we care! :(

That sucks. You’ll never hear me say “It’s just a dog” cos it’s not. It’s a family member who you see more off, like more and often love more than any human relations.. or maybe that’s just me! Hope it all goes smoothly. Keep us updated.

Yep. Takes a minute or two but they like it! They hide when it’s grooming time but when it’s tail dye time they queue up and try to get on the table! They can’t possibly understand that their tales are coloured, I think it’s an association with the cooing attention they get from everyone after.

Having a nosey at what puppies are sold for - incase I'm deemed illegible to rescue one and A quick look suggests a lab pup can be from £500 to over £1000. Is that just the breeders being greedy? I can't see what would increase the price so much.

Yep. Takes a minute or two but they like it! They hide when it’s grooming time but when it’s tail dye time they queue up and try to get on the table! They can’t possibly understand that their tales are coloured, I think it’s an association with the cooing attention they get from everyone after.

Just tell me you turn up on your bike at the local bike meet or even better MC with them like that, My faith in human nature will be restored.

Mine is becoming an increasing terror, lovable but..

_20180704_180115.thumb.JPG.0fcb3b5d981550e8f469c9c2ed65d8b3.JPG

Growing

His farts not only stink but are directional, we can sit opposite ends of settee and one will smell it the other not....

He has randomly jumped off the dinghy when we took him sailing...

The sheepskin rug In front of fire has had to go, this is IKEA cheap one for him...

He can jump vertical take off about 3 foot, misses boobs his favourite target..

Let's just say he makes a very good contraceptive... We are allowed to kiss briefly and cuddle gently any more and the nutter is released...

Oh and wash his bed leave it to dry and he will bring it back to where he wants it.

Usual puppy fun...

Having a nosey at what puppies are sold for - incase I'm deemed illegible to rescue one and A quick look suggests a lab pup can be from £500 to over £1000. Is that just the breeders being greedy? I can't see what would increase the price so much.

You can find Mongrels sorry CockerPoo's (pure bread of course) for E1.3k-£1.5k without much effort...

These guys were brilliant with us...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phoenixrehoming/

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/users/phoenixrehoming

Lab rescue can be a bit stuck up themselves a mate who has elderly Lab rescue was looking to rescue another they said he was no longer suitable :?

That’s about right. I couldn’t see it either until I did it. To breed properly you have to be prepared to give up 3 months of your life. A litter of puppies should be raised from birth in a persons home with their mother. The “magic window” is a small window at the beginning of the dogs life where if they are exposed to something they are fine with it. So you have a litter of puppies in your kitchen or living room (wherever the main flow of people are) who poop at will (and not the easy to pick up stuff, nasty stinky milky puppy stuff) for 12 weeks (some breeds go earlier) and need to be exposed to all types of people, vehicles, animals, noises etc etc. The list is enormous. It’s exhasuting and time consuming but the thing is it works. Every one of my pups left unafraid of travelling, happy with loud thunder n lightening, fire works, children etc etc. Then there’s the genetic testing you pay for on the dog before breeding and the vet bills for the puppy checks and vaccinations. I really could go on. If it’s done correctly the breeder will end up on way below the minimum wage.

I completely get where you’re coming from but it’s a lot of time, work and money- unless your a puppy farmer who doesn’t give a sh*t.

There are questions you should ask a breeder and things to be wary of if you end up on that route pm me and I’ll send you the list- lest I bore everyone!

Just tell me you turn up on your bike at the local bike meet or even better MC with them like that, My faith in human nature will be restored.

Mine is becoming an increasing terror, lovable but..

_20180704_180115.JPG

His farts not only stink but are directional, we can sit opposite ends of settee and one will smell it the other not....

He has randomly jumped off the dinghy when we took him sailing...

The sheepskin rug In front of fire has had to go, this is IKEA cheap one for him...

He can jump vertical take off about 3 foot, misses boobs his favourite target..

Let's just say he makes a very good contraceptive... We are allowed to kiss briefly and cuddle gently any more and the nutter is released...

Oh and wash his bed leave it to dry and he will bring it back to where he wants it.

Usual puppy fun...

I have to say he also has a pretty naughty look in his eye!

I had an adorable but protective one and he had to be put in the kitchen before anything more than a peck on the cheek could occur. Careful with that though cos he sees your misses as his property and you definitely don’t want that to get out of hand!!

On the farts front it’s a rare occurance with mine but the nature’s menu raw nuggets are a godsend on the stinky dog fart/poop front which is just as well cos with 4 of them my house would be a fire hazard :D

Take them out with me- 3 are complete wusses on the motorbike (funnily enough it wasn’t on the kennel club list of things to expose them to!) only the one with the pink tail enjoys it, I was brought up to not be too encumbered by others opinions so yes she comes out with me. If I was having anymore pups in the future they’d be out on the bike in the dog backpack before they were fully weaned!

And if you want a Lab, the breader we got ours from is fantastic. Maybe a bit far away for you but highly recommend for pedigree labs.

The waiting list was long, we did our research and it's obvious why. Many of the owners of dogs from them are on Facebook so we could chat to other owners to get their opinions. we visited many times to meet the parents, and after the birth to meet the pups and see how they were progressing. The end result is a fit, healthy, well balanced dog who as you've seen is fantastic with kids and makes the perfect family pet.

We take ours back there for kenneling when we go on holiday and she gets to run about their huge working farm land with one of her sisters. She genuinely loves going back there and we get "family discount" as shes from there.

They also run charity BBQ events where owners of their dogs all get back together, do a treasure hunt in their farm land, let all the dogs bound about together, and generally swap stories about dogs.

The only thing I would say is that if you buy a working dog from a working line be prepared for lots of excercise!! My lab has so much energy and needs proper long walks to keep her happy. Not a problem for us but many people wouldn't cope with the commitment.

Ours has survived the Op!

She's recovering now at the vets.

I should be able to pick her up tomorrow.

There's a good chance the tumour will come back! :(

It's just a question of how long she lasts

Hoorah :D 🍾

That’s great news. Shame it’ll be back but great you have extra time together now. :thumb:

Is she an older dog?

I like your post having read the first line not the rest of the post... So please about the first line saddened by the end of message...

And if you want a Lab, the breader we got ours from is fantastic. Maybe a bit far away for you but highly recommend for pedigree labs.

The waiting list was long, we did our research and it's obvious why. Many of the owners of dogs from them are on Facebook so we could chat to other owners to get their opinions. we visited many times to meet the parents, and after the birth to meet the pups and see how they were progressing. The end result is a fit, healthy, well balanced dog who as you've seen is fantastic with kids and makes the perfect family pet.

We take ours back there for kenneling when we go on holiday and she gets to run about their huge working farm land with one of her sisters. She genuinely loves going back there and we get "family discount" as shes from there.

They also run charity BBQ events where owners of their dogs all get back together, do a treasure hunt in their farm land, let all the dogs bound about together, and generally swap stories about dogs.

The only thing I would say is that if you buy a working dog from a working line be prepared for lots of excercise!! My lab has so much energy and needs proper long walks to keep her happy. Not a problem for us but many people wouldn't cope with the commitment.

That sounds pretty good, but I'm also going to guess a tad out of my budget :lol:

yes, she's 12, fairly old for a lurcher

It might mean a slightly slower recovery but that’s kinda good- the general rule of thumb is the older you are the slower you grow things, same with humans. :thumb:

One of mine had multiple large inoperable tumours and he went on happy as Larry for yonks :D