er500 engined chop

hi all.just bought a er500 engined chop and it runs like crap....i know cvcarbs dont like pod air filters and im looking into that.

the first thing i want to know is can i get rid of some pipework.

theres pipes coming from the carbs thru a small filter like tube and up into the head area...theres another pair going nowhere....

theres one going from the rad to the bottom of the carbs via a valve...possibly non return...

can i get rid of any of these....i had a ccm ages ago and we would remove them all and block off the holes...

also the rad is fitted to the frame but no fan is attached....i suspect in this weather it will overheat but might be ok in normal english weather....

cheers for any advice...

will post pics soon.

The pipes going into the float bowls via a little filter are the carb heating system and can be got rid of no problem. You may need to use some left over pipe to blank off the tube on the top right of the rad . Best way is to link it to the similar pipe near the filler but not the one right next to the cap that goes to the expansion tank / reservoir. If you leave the filter in line it should still keep the coolant clean .

WP_20180526_15_57_27_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.ad1c3ee53f7305379150e1861628e398.jpg

Regarding the other pipes , some pics would be helpful. As for the fan , mine definitely works but it has never come on in 10000 miles nor has the temperature light so I wouldn't be too worried.

cheers for that fastbob...ill remove the heating pipes....ill have another look see where the other pipes are coming from....

i know theres one that just goes from the top of one carb to the top of the other one.not the top by the diaphram covers but the tuo of the body...

cheers mate

I cant see any of these pictures mate, except the last one , why not just put them straight on the forum .( attachments , add files , select from your photos, wait for all to load , submit . ) from what I can see it looks good. Here's mine .

WP_20180630_20_58_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.cfa31b69e98e1394392f2bbedf0043d4.jpg

Easiest forum to join and use that I've come across . Can you get a close up of all these carb pipes so I can compare them to mine and see which ones you can lose ? I'm guessing from the pics that the original vacuum tap is not on the bike . On ERs its actually on the frame not the tank so I reckon that the pipe that links the carbs is blanking off the vacuum line . Anyway,let's have a look and take it from there . Can you describe these poor running characteristics as well please ? Cheers . PS I already had this photo, what you see is a vacuum pipe from the right carb coming over to the tap and on the left carb a bung in the centre of the picture that simply blanks it off . I'm guessing that on your bike , rather than buy another bung someone has just attached the pipe to the other carb . These are the points , by the way, that you fit guages to when you sync the carbs . To be honest, I don't think this is a great idea to link the carbs . I reckon two bungs would be better.

wp_ss_20180702_0002.thumb.png.617fc0adff93fa3c6d8ac4d9e8aed026.png

hi fastbob...think i now know which pipes to bung or remove

it was running very rough...started great at the press of the button but would splutter when revved...and wouldnt stay at constant revs....

ive worked out that the cv carbs needs lets say some resistance at the air intake end so what ive done is fit a sleeve inside the foam pod filters.to restrict the air intake..

started great and revved much cleaner..took it out for a spin and deffo rideable..

bought some nice new cone filter pods but theres not enough space between the carbs and the frame so they dont fit so going to try and improve the foam ones this weekend.

back the the pipes....

the heater pipe which comes from the rad to the carbs and back to the head....where they connect to the carbs....ive removed those pipes but still left with the metal tubes coming from the carbs...now i could leave them there but they do slightly obstruct the air/fuel mixture screw...

they swivel slightly....is there a way to remove them....looking at a parts diagram they look like there just held in with a spring washer....havnt tried pulling them out.....yet...

im pretty sure they wont need bunging as i reckon no water actually enters anyware...if i cant remove them they will just have to stay there....

im also sure ill need to take the bike to a dyno and work out the best jets to fit as normal with an air filter change and streight thru pipe...it is muffled slightly...

anuwau cheers for your help so far fastbob

The heater pipes do swivel but I haven't tried pulling them out so I don't know what happens if you try . Glad you got it running a bit better so at least you have something to improve on . One thing you could try next is to check the fuel levels in the carbs because this has quite an influence on smooth running . This is easy to do on an ER , there are actually instructions in the factory manual. Just connect clear PVC tubing to the carb drains , open up and make a U bend. Fuel level should be level with the joint between the bowl and the body . What you have done to the pod filters makes sense . My ER5 runs a very loud , completely open can , standard filter and jets . There is a nice popping noise on the over run but that's not a bad thing . This is not a fast bike so if , like me , you have ridden more high performance bikes it will take a lot of getting used to . When I first got mine I was constantly in the wrong gear but now I love riding it. Another big influence on running is the valve clearances or tappets . I recently set mine right in the middle of the upper and lower settings ( 0.20 & 0.15 ) then I balanced the carbs and the difference was very noticeable . I also set the mixture screws at 1 and a half turns out instead of 1 and a quarter as recommended. Anyway let me know how you get on but consider trying all these things first before changing any jets otherwise you might be fiddling around for ever .

WP_20180224_13_21_43_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.d061b996b1509ec8dc89aac6c36dbcb0.jpg

wp_ss_20180705_0002.thumb.png.97f639c7bece28fba4f9c2486b16dd13.png

wp_ss_20180705_0001.thumb.png.6a0830a43c82e53427c22a9301f8d0e8.png

will check float bowls before next ride...removed all excess pipework...i had turned out mixture screws buy 1 turn but gonna turn them in all the way and turn out 1.5.

dont know what po did so thatll give me a starting point.

dont need speed on this bike..its got drum brakes front and back.

cheers mate

will check float bowls before next ride...removed all excess pipework...i had turned out mixture screws buy 1 turn but gonna turn them in all the way and turn out 1.5.

dont know what po did so thatll give me a starting point.

dont need speed on this bike..its got drum brakes front and back.

cheers mate

Probably stops better than mine then ! 😉