Buying a summer jacket

I've stuck it as long as I can but the heavy rst blade is going to turn me in to a sweaty puddle soon.

It's late in the year but I think I need to get a lighter jacket.

I've been looking at the knox zepher jacket and the rev it torque jacket.

I'm on a little naked cb125f. Most of my miles are city driving with a little blast of dual carriage way.

Both jackets seem to be quite similar although Knox is a little better looking from the online photos.

What do you think of the 2 jackets or is there something else I should consider? Looking to keep it under £200.

I can't comment on either of your suggestions. But I recently bought a Frank Thomas FTL400 jacket for summer riding. £160 from J&S. I am very pleased with it.

Jackets are a really personal choice as it depends what suits you. I find it really comfy to ride in, simple to wear (not too many fastenings to mess with) and most importantly it's got a decent level of protection whilst being cool during this hot weather.

Id definitely go for mesh. Bought my spidi version last wimter cos it was reduced from £159 to £75 and spent the rest of the winter wondering if Id wasted my money. Now its hot I couldnt be more pleased. The breeze goes straight through it. I went for a light colour because black absorbs the suns rays much more than lighter colours.

Recently I bought the waterproof liner to go with it and if Id known how useful it would be I would have bought both at the same time (cheaper). The liner packs down into a tiny bag and is really handy if your starting the ride in the morning and theres a chill (or it might rain) and you can take it off when it gets hot.

Another bonus is it fits under the jacket so doesnt flap about.

Bumped into someone else wearing one and we had a 5 minute joint rave about the marvels of mesh jackets!

I wouldn’t buy one without strategically placed reinforced panels and armour tho.

Got a Dainese mesh Jacket on eBay.. they are worth around £180 new and managed to get a second hand in almost new condition for £55.

Used it yesterday for the first time and its brilliant! Whilst moving, its like wearing a t shirt. You do get hot when standing still, but as soon as you move off the breeze cools you down and dries up any sweat ;)

So definately worth checking eBay/Gumtree etc for Jackets in good condition.

For the time we actually need these.. is it really worth spending £200+ on brand new? You can grab a bargain if you look ;)

My summer jacket gets a lot of use.. throughout the year. including during the early winter.. though I'm likely to wear a sweater underneath and put the goretex liner in. Obviously with the weather we're having right now.. no liner and a fast wicking base layer and its just perfect.

I have no objection to buying something to make life more comfortable in the heat... but I want to get a bit more use out of it than just a 5 day heatwave. Same goes for my summer gloves.. they also are worn fairly late into the autumn.. heated grips and handguards do extend the use of these things well past the usual cut-off date... My "summer" jackets and gloves are usually put away when the first frost arrives.

Bought mine from FC Moto a couple of years ago.. I actually went into the shop!! (Quite an eye-opener)

I have a Dainese Hydra Flux D-Dry summer jacket. It’s at the upper end of your price bracket but it’s a mesh jacket that has a removable waterproof liner. Nice cooling airflow and should you get caught out you can put the liner back in and stay dry too.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/214730

I have a Dainese Hydra Flux D-Dry summer jacket. It’s at the upper end of your price bracket but it’s a mesh jacket that has a removable waterproof liner. Nice cooling airflow and should you get caught out you can put the liner back in and stay dry too.

It's a nice looking jacket.

Any idea what exactly is" boomerang mesh"?

One of the issues that stood out is many brands have their own version of textile and it seems impossible to know which ones would actually protect you in a slide.

It's a nice looking jacket.

Any idea what exactly is" boomerang mesh"?

One of the issues that stood out is many brands have their own version of textile and it seems impossible to know which ones would actually protect you in a slide.

Nope! No idea of what “boomerang mesh” is! So here’s some photos.....

Like you say, it’s difficult to know without seeing it how it would protect you, but I’m really confident this jacket. I take the view that I’ll spend as much as I can afford on gear, as I’d rather have it and not need it, than be sliding down the road wishing I’d spent more on something!

This is a close up of the outside mesh.....

5_EEF08_BD_53_D1_43_B2_9_B3_F_00_F29_F55_CF7_E.jpg

This is from the front/side inside of the jacket looking out, it kinda has a liner between the inside and the mesh

178_A0_E27_A1_A3_4_EA8_A797_EAA0_B3_AD9398.jpg

This is the back. This doesn’t have the same liner, apart from where the back protector pocket is fitted. I have the back protector fitted.

0_EFB80_A2_E6_E2_49_B1_B2_A9_58_D9_E511_F593.jpg

This the exterior of the waterproof liner at the shoulder/arm. The interior of the waterproof liner has a softer cotton like feel to it.

6_A7_DF4_B4_7_FA5_4509_AAEA_67_F462_AF0_BD9.jpg

IMO it’s worth spending out for. Hopefully you can see it’s well ventilated and gives good airflow. I’ve been wearing it over the last few weeks and it’s certainly kept me cool. And the liner gives it a bit more flexibility with keeping the wind chill and rain off.

Hope this helps. If you want any more pics just let me know.

I had a pretty big off a few years ago wearing a Spada mesh jacket and it held up pretty well. I suffered a broken Scapula and the jacket was a bit scuffed on the impact sight but other than that it was OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up choosing an icon mesh af jacket.

But a few days after placing my order I got an email saying it's out of stock and will be back in 10 days.

The great British summer may not last that long!

So I cancelled the order and switched for Merlin mondello mesh jacket.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/258777

At £77 it doesn't break the bank.

I've been wearing it 2 weeks and I'm happy. It's comfortable.

It came with CE elbow shoulder and back protector.

There's a lot of mesh but also accordion type fabric in strategic places and an extra metal plate over elbow and shoulder.

It's not the lightest but it has done a great job in the recent heat and as a fairly new rider I still feel safe in it

I have a denim armoured jacket. My attitude is that the fabric is there to keep the armour in place and that is what will help to protect me. The fabric itself, like mesh, is of limited protection, but by keeping you cool in hot weather, it helps to make you safe whilst riding. I have not come off with the denim jacket, I would expect it to not last and need replacing.

went over to J&S and bought a Frank Thomas mesh jacket. It doesn't have a liner but in this weather it is perfect.

How much did that set you back if you don’t mind me asking?

This one for £70:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/frank-thomas-desert-mesh-jacket-black/26489

They do matching trousers as well but I didn't bother with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up choosing an icon mesh af jacket.

But a few days after placing my order I got an email saying it's out of stock and will be back in 10 days.

The great British summer may not last that long!

So I cancelled the order and switched for Merlin mondello mesh jacket.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/258777

At £77 it doesn't break the bank.

I've been wearing it 2 weeks and I'm happy. It's comfortable.

It came with CE elbow shoulder and back protector.

There's a lot of mesh but also accordion type fabric in strategic places and an extra metal plate over elbow and shoulder.

It's not the lightest but it has done a great job in the recent heat and as a fairly new rider I still feel safe in it

Given the rain returning this week I thought I'd mention the Merlin jacket comes with a light waterproof jacket hidden in a pocket in the lower back. Commuting home in Friday it saved me from a very wet journey. I'd no idea it was there until a few days ago. It held up perfectly even in them awful storms.