Sewell's In France 2018

It seems to have been a long wait since the EuroKClub Wrinklies trip until our Holiday in France this year.

It's now 6 days before we set off on our jolls.

We are heading south next Sunday 8th July hopefully meeting up with a friend on the way down to Ferndown, where we are staying before heading to Poole for the ferry to Jersey. I have contacted A mate who live on Jersey to see if he's available for a meet up. The Nigel Mansell collection looks interesting and we'll take a look while we are there.

After a couple of days in Jersey we are off to Vannes, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Chatellerault, Alencon and finally Le Treport before heading for the tunnel and home. As usual I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them up.

This year, because of the weather the main concern is staying cool, with temperatures in France in the high twenties and low thirties.

I have ordered the cooling jacket that fits my Rev It jacket, I'll let you know how good it is.

• 2 weeks later...

We set off this morning at 9am here is the bike in full touring mode

20180708_073846.jpg

The first 100 miles were done on the M1. I used the cruise control and stuck to the speed limit (boring).

We stopped for a coffee in a nice air conditioned Mcdonalds. We then pressed on to meet Richard (richtea) for a spot of lunch. This was the Royal Oak in Tingewick, a really nice country pub with very friendly locals. It was nice to catch up with Rich for the first time since this years Wrinklies trip.

After lunch we pressed on to Ferndown and the Premier Inn. Temperatures were up to 34 C according to the bikes computer but having the cooling vest and being well hydrated made it bearable. A few pints of lager were consumed by Melanie and myself along with some nice nosh. Then off to bed as we have a ferry to catch in the morning to St Heller. More later ;)

It was a pleasant crossing from St Helier to St Malo, sunny and calm. Much like the journey to Vannes. The bike got a secluded corner in the underground car park.

20180711_165717.jpg

At Melanies suggestion here is one for Tom

20180711_165840.jpg

And moving swiftly on, we walked into town and came across this strange offering

20180711_171535.jpg

Another day another town, here we are in Vannes on another warm and sunny day.

We found ourselves another petit tren

20180712_104332.jpg

Parking motorcycles is never a problem in France. Here are a few we came across while walking about Vannes

20180712_101711.jpg

20180712_101626.jpg

20180712_102300.jpg

20180712_101639.jpg

20180712_111318.jpg

Today 14th July is in France what we call Bastille Day, the French call it Fete Nationale. All over France are parades, street entertainment and later on firework displays.

There was a parade today in La Rochelle right in front of our hotel.

The French police have a good choice in bikes, not so much the attire

20180714_105554.jpg

We visited Le Bunker, where German Uboat crews called home during the occupation. An underground rabbit Warren of rooms and well worth a visit. No pictures, you'll have to visit it yourself.

Love La Rochelle - the aquarium is one of our favourites! We had our best family holidays with the kids on Ile de Re, but we've not made it down there for the last couple of years. :(

A bit dishevelled dont you think, are they the police motorcyclist division from the Police Academy film?

The picture was taken just before the dignitaries arrived so they were in relaxed mode.

We have arrived in Bordeaux and I can tell you it's king hot, the bike was showing an ambient temperature of 35 degrees. We can now go and enjoy our complimentary drink at the Ibis bar :P

The journey from Bordeaux to Chatellerault was pretty uneventful and mostly on N roads to get there quickly to avoid being in the heat any longer than need be.

The journey from Chatellerault to Alencon was a cooler affair but not by much. We took some nice twiddly roads in 22 to 25 degrees as opposed to the 28 to 30 degrees the day before. On arrival in Alencon I found a bit of bike sized pavement.

20180719_102621.jpg