In helmet speakers

Hello Groovy gang, I am new here and have just bought a Lexmoto 125 for comuting in Brum for my job.

I am struggling to keep my earbuds in place when I put my helmet on and I was wondering about alternatives. I want beat value for money and the stuff on flea bay looks like it might be buy cheap buy twice but happy if that is not the case.

In the past I've cannibalised a set of over ear headphones and used velcro to stick them in place.

I managed to get them to fit in the bit where the straps disappear in to the lining so I guess it will depend on your lid as to whether you could do the same.

https://www.customfitguards.co.uk/cf-music-sport

These aren't a cheap and cheerful option but they serve two purposes:

1) To protect your hearing. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous but there is one looming danger that you are always prone to, and this is damage to your hearing, the wind noise produces a certain frequency that damages our ears, so riding around can permanently damage your ears if done for long enough, this pair will protect your ears from that frequency as it has a filter to allow you to hear normal sounds that aren't harmful whilst blocking the particular frequency that causes said damage.

2) To allow you to listen to music. Listening to music through buds isn't actually always the best idea as it can very easily damage your hearing as well if loud enough, but the reason these are a great fit for riding a motorbike is that it removes the outside noise that will cause you to listen to louder music, if you think about it, why do we turn up music in noisy settings? It's because we can't hear it well. But does the sound become quieter, or do things around us become louder causing it to appear quieter? These earbuds will stop the noises that cause you to think it's too quiet, allow you to listen at normal volumes and protect your hearing all at the same time.

It's not cheap, but it will keep your ears working and away from Tinnitus (Trust me, you really do NOT want Tinnitus. I've had it before and it is seriously depressing, and I don't mean that in a jokey way, it really does drive you insane.) and also allow you to listen to music at a safer volume. The added benefit is that they are CUSTOM made to fit YOUR ear drum. That means you won't have to worry about sizing as it will be designed to fit into your ear perfectly.

Check out some of the suggestions on this thread.....https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=65867&hilit=Headphones

And see what people thought of them..... 8-)

1) To protect your hearing. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous but there is one looming danger that you are always prone to, and this is damage to your hearing, the wind noise produces a certain frequency that damages our ears, so riding around can permanently damage your ears if done for long enough, this pair will protect your ears from that frequency as it has a filter to allow you to hear normal sounds that aren't harmful whilst blocking the particular frequency that causes said damage.

2) To allow you to listen to music. Listening to music through buds isn't actually always the best idea as it can very easily damage your hearing as well if loud enough, but the reason these are a great fit for riding a motorbike is that it removes the outside noise that will cause you to listen to louder music, if you think about it, why do we turn up music in noisy settings? It's because we can't hear it well. But does the sound become quieter, or do things around us become louder causing it to appear quieter? These earbuds will stop the noises that cause you to think it's too quiet, allow you to listen at normal volumes and protect your hearing all at the same time.

It's not cheap, but it will keep your ears working and away from Tinnitus (Trust me, you really do NOT want Tinnitus. I've had it before and it is seriously depressing, and I don't mean that in a jokey way, it really does drive you insane.) and also allow you to listen to music at a safer volume. The added benefit is that they are CUSTOM made to fit YOUR ear drum. That means you won't have to worry about sizing as it will be designed to fit into your ear perfectly.

Spot on Yeldur.

They are just starting to properly look into hearing loss and motorcycling. The baby boomer generation is providing the info because they are the first generation where theres a substantial cohort who rode over a long period without earplugs and are now of an age where deafness starts to really impact. From the early bits of research and what is known about the noise levels that cause damage motorcycling is right up there.

The people who do use ear plugs often use poor quality disposable or semi disposable and whilst better than nothing are not up to the task. Moulded earplugs with filters are the way to go. There are a variety of companies that offer this at different prices so it’s worth a shop around, basic moulded ear plugs with motorcycle filters can be bought for as little as £70 but if you want the the music option included there’s no getting away from the fact they’re expensive. What price your hearing?

With some companies (from the looks of the one Yeldurs given you a link to included) you can buy different filters to use with the same plugs. I have shooting filters and blanks (blanks are useful for stopping water getting in) that can be swapped over depending on what I’m doing. Pricey yes worth it, without a doubt.

Spot on Yeldur.

They are just starting to properly look into hearing loss and motorcycling. The baby boomer generation is providing the info because they are the first generation where theres a substantial cohort who rode over a long period without earplugs and are now of an age where deafness starts to really impact. From the early bits of research and what is known about the noise levels that cause damage motorcycling is right up there.

The people who do use ear plugs often use poor quality disposable or semi disposable and whilst better than nothing are not up to the task. Moulded earplugs with filters are the way to go. There are a variety of companies that offer this at different prices so it’s worth a shop around, basic moulded ear plugs with motorcycle filters can be bought for as little as £70 but if you want the the music option included there’s no getting away from the fact they’re expensive. What price your hearing?

With some companies (from the looks of the one Yeldurs given you a link to included) you can buy different filters to use with the same plugs. I have shooting filters and blanks (blanks are useful for stopping water getting in) that can be swapped over depending on what I’m doing. Pricey yes worth it, without a doubt.

I mean right now I have a £20 pair of Pinlock earplugs that work fine, they're not as good as custom moulded ones but for now they're a good thing to protect my hearing. A lot of people tend to use foam earplugs and those are actually fine, it's just that they're more dangerous as they block off all sound as opposed to just the bad sounds. I plan to get myself some custom fitguards, though I don't know whether to fork out £200 for the music pair or just £90 for the normal custom pair with the filter. Either way, you're right, you can't put a price on your ears.

I've got the standard ear plugs from custom fit guards which cost me £89 i believe.

As well in the helmet i've got a cheap bluetooth unit which i can listen to some music if needed but mainly use it for satnav audio.

even with the earplugs in i can hear the engine and most of whats around me as well as the music if i've got it on.

well worth the money

Ear plugs effectiveness is measured in the decibel reduction they give, foam plugs are at the lower end of that protective spectrum, the better the fit the better the protection.

But it’s all a matter of preference. I have two sets of moulded plugs, the custom fit guards you posted a link to I actually have (didn’t recognise it their website page must’ve changed) and they are definitely the better of the two pairs.

They take a bit of getting used to and the softer silicone ones they make are much kinder on the ears than the hard moulded ones I have- at over double the price from the audiology dept in Bristol.

Personally I don’t desire to listen to music while I riding I just want it to be me and the bikes engine noise which is where the filters are good because although they do dumb down the noise a lot and cut out damaging frequencies I can still hear and enjoy the sound of the engine. The one time I tried listening to music before I wore plugs I didn’t see or hear the ambulance until it was right on my back wheel and I was obstructing it’s path- rather put me off to say the least.

I picked up my ‘custom fit’ moulded ones last year at the motorcycle show at the nec for £70 so if you get to the point of purchasing might be worth emailing them asking what show they’re going to be at as they go to lots of different shows.

For no reason I can think of people don’t take hearing seriously and squander what they have until it’s damaged enough to cause them difficulties. I find it odd that everyone regards sight as being so precious (it is) but have no regard for damaging their hearing- right up to the point where they’re isolated because they can’t join in conversation or go to the cinema or watch television or hear someone whisper sweet things. I think it’s worth looking after.

I have custom moulded ones. I paid the extra to have removable speakers fitted. They can be removed and noise fitters fitted instead.

The speaker cable was so thin that one side broke within 12 months. Emailed the supplier and no probs some new ones sent.

These lasted about 2 years before the cable broke.

Just use them as plugs now.

I have scala in helmet speakers now and they are fine.

So if you think of getting them with speakers in ask the vender how resilient the wires are.

I have custom moulded ones. I paid the extra to have removable speakers fitted. They can be removed and noise fitters fitted instead.

The speaker cable was so thin that one side broke within 12 months. Emailed the supplier and no probs some new ones sent.

So if you think of getting them with speakers in ask the vender how resilient the wires are.

What is the cost of replacement cables/earpieces?

What is the cost of replacement cables/earpieces?

The first ones were FOC.

Didn't bother the second time as I installed the Scala in helmet speakers.