how to age my engine er5

I would start with the V5 which will tell you when it was first sold.. its highly likely to be either that same year.. or the year before. Then look at the part numbers for those two years and see if it changed.. or if it changed the year before.

so.. lets say the V5 is a late 97.. the bike was very likely made in 96 or 97.. possibly (but unlikely) 95

is the part number the same for all 3 years?

An alternative to that might be to ask an official dealership. they should be able to tell you based on the VIN

I'm pretty sure they are all the same as far as clutch plates are concerned . EBC list from 1997 to 2007 .http://er5.bikersoracle.com/index.php?threads/differences-between-er5-model-years.7123/

cheers fastbob cradley kwack did tell me that...

im a bit confused cos my engine number starts with ex500 so asuming its not the er500...but i do know the er...the gpz en and ex were all the same engine so i wont worry about it untill any parts i recieve are wrong...then ill have to work it out

cheers fastbob cradley kwack did tell me that...

im a bit confused cos my engine number starts with ex500 so asuming its not the er500...but i do know the er...the gpz en and ex were all the same engine so i wont worry about it untill any parts i recieve are wrong...then ill have to work it out

Mine also begins EX. Did you get all those tubes sorted on the carbs , how's it running now ?

removed and blocked all the tubes....

made new air filter pods using the rubbers from a set of those cheap metal pods...a 2inch plastic pipe then wrapped the foam from the filters that were on the bike when i got it...the air flow that goes into the carb is now clean and the opening is under 2 inch....covered by the foam...

turned out a/f screw 2.5 and run great but popped too much on over run...turned back in half a turn and now runs great...

might get a colourtune kit to see if i can tune to perfection....

ive cut the exhaust pipes so now there shorter with a bend pointing down and slightly out...so i wont burn the shit out of my legs like originally did...

i fitted baffles inside the tubes an that has quitened it sown a bit...was straight thru when i got it...

so far so good...next job on the list is sort the clutch out....drags when putting it into first gear and stalles....but only when i first ride it....goes thru all the gears ok up and down...i park up turn off and 5 mins later drags again....ive had bikes that do that first start up after a few days off but not as often as this one...

cables ok i reckon plates are old and sticking and worn springs...so that my next job...

ill see if i can post a small vid on here later

cheers fastbob for all your help

Great stuff , according to some experts whose opinion I respect , it is not necessarily a good idea to aim to eliminate ALL popping and banging on the over run . Apparently an engine can be running at its optimum state of tune and still do this . So aiming to eliminate popping can result in a poor state of tune . Just takes a bit of getting used to but now I love it . By the way , if the popping suddenly increases , you've almost certainly got a stuck float valve . Also have you read my recent post in "Knob of the day"? Embarrassing! 😳 Keep me posted on the clutch situation, I had a lot of issues with mine when I got the bike but now they are very well sorted . One thing that did make a big difference was getting the correct lever and bracket so that I got the right degree of pull on the cable.