Best way to go about a pay rise?

Ricky

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but for those whom are interested, I got a 14% payrise.

Originally got told no by the manager before I went away on holiday, got back off holiday to a letter from HR telling me my new wage etc.

Pretty tasty, thank you everyone for your help and giving me the balls to ask :lol: :cheers:

Ha! I find this funny as I bet your boss thought part of your holiday was to either interview, or use some time to look for a new job and they bottled it.

At least you know they weren't going to take the risk so they do like you. :thumb:

In the future, if they start getting nervous every time you have a half day for the dentists/vets that's the best time to ask for a pay rise as they know you're good value.

When it comes to it for me, my technique will be to find a new job on more money and then give the company the option of paying me more or letting me go :wink:. That's only helpful if you don't mind moving jobs if they won't match/better the new rate though.

100% this. I've only ever had modest-to-neglible pay rises whilst in the job (not including promotions), whereas I've always moved to new places for a decent bump in salary. It's a shame that loyalty is not rewarded these days, but that's the reality of it. Take advantage of the situation if you can :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Back in my day, I rented out a two bed apartment above a motorbike shop (the guys owned it so was the best place for me), and it was £250 a month in 2006.

It wasn't that bad at all, plus I had all the help I could need with my bike.

Plus, when my bike was having trouble then I was always lent another until mine was fixed. It wasn't like they didn't know where I lived.

Now, if I want to rent then it's a minimum of around £900 a month. Not easy to afford anywhere these days.

Anyway, best way to get a pay rise is to assert your dominance in the work place. Demand a pay rise. Thump your fists on the desk and refuse to work until you get your increase. This will show determination and strong willing. Employers like this.

Also, don't forget to ask them about their policy on calling in sick every Friday and Monday, and possibly being a bit 'tipsy' at work. This will show them that you're good at forward planning.