Another member of injury club

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has Liked: 731 times
Been Liked: 555 times

Re: Another member of injury club

#211 Post by Via » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:54 am

Hoggs wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 pm
Via wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:31 pm
Not as talkative on here recently as not much to say but keep an eye on things now and again :thumb:
Ah well I'm glad it's going in the right direction albeit probably a lot slower than you'd like.

I'm drinking water it's too hot for cider end up necking the whole thing and feeling even thirstier :lol:
Everything about me is slow now, even had my dog keep nudging my leg as I'm going down the stairs because I was going too slow :lol: but yeah things are fixing and will probably have to start thinking about going back to work soon
:damn:
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 817 times
Been Liked: 920 times

#212 Post by mikestrivens » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:56 am

Well someone has to top up the tax account to pay for the NHS. One can get awfully bored doing nothing.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Challenge Score: 130
Has Liked: 1006 times
Been Liked: 1130 times

#213 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 am

Via wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:40 pm
The pointy bit moved a few times, almost ended up back at hospital because it came up really bad, could actually see point stretching through skin, but since then it fluctuates some days looks flat, others can see a lump but never as bad... If it didn't stabilise then would be back in for surgery and most likely external fixator which I didn't fancy.
As it’s been a while and it’s the bone still moving it might be worth asking your consultant how long he/she would expect the bone movement to go on for before they need to considering doing something. In my experience the faster you fix something the quicker it heals.
Bone movement is going to cause you a lot of pain, the sooner it’s all stabilised the sooner the pain goes away so maybe an external fixator might be the faster route to recovery?
ps my knowledge of orthopaedics is limited so I’m only suggesting you ask.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Via

#214 Post by Via » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:31 am

@mikestrivens

Still working now but from home, that's most annoying part though can get everything I usually do done from here but will have to drag myself back in because that's where work is done lol

@Slowlycatchymonkey

Told them last visit and they were fine with it, didn't ask how long they're expect it to go on for though, also my foot points outwards a fair bit which she put down to bone has rotated on rod running through it and recommended forcing it to rotate back round myself by concentrating on keeping foot straight as I walk (much harder than it sounds and much more painful) so seems they are trying to avoid any further surgery as much as possible which may not be a bad thing. Have had a fair few doubts about quality of hospital which I've mentioned on here previously but will trust they know best lol
Hoggs wrote:

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Challenge Score: 130
Has Liked: 1006 times
Been Liked: 1130 times

#215 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 am

I’ll be honest Via I’m not convinced they’re taking the correct path for you. If your foots rotated out because of a broken bone and that bones mobile then trying to twist your foot straight when it’s not naturally pointing that way will keep moving the bone and stop/slow the possibility of it stabilising on its own.
I’d be seeking a second opinion. I know it’s a pain and not what you want but you don’t want to get 6 months down the line and be no better off needing more surgery. You want to be recovered and out on that bike.
Physios quite often just work to improve what the persons got, they wouldn’t tread on the toes of an orthopaedic surgeon by saying it’s not worked. Especially as (and I apologise to any even tempered orthopaedic surgeon reading this) they have a reputation for being rather difficult to deal with.

Easy options are- show your gp the X-ray, tell him the bones mobile to the point it may pierce the skin and that your foot rotated outward, you still in pain and you want a second opinion.
Find a medics website (they are mainly American but their ailments and treatments are similar to ours) and post the picture of your fracture with an explanation and time frame and wait for the response. American physios are a bit more outspoken so post it on one of those too.

I’d at least want another X-ray to see if there’s any progress.

If the second opinion suggests it’s not going to heal on its own don’t go back to the same hospital- definitely not the same surgeon.

The second opinion may say nope that’s all to be expected in which case you’re reassured you not wasting time.

Good luck with it all, constant pain can drag anyone down. Feeling below parr is exactly the time we can’t be bothered and often when we need to bother most. Forthright relatives are quite handy in these situations.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

bonio
Bike(s): RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has Liked: 1694 times
Been Liked: 663 times

#216 Post by bonio » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am

I know nothing about orthpaedics, but @Slowlycatchymonkey is spot on.
Even thought it's a bit of characature, it's nonetheless often true that everyone in a hospital lives in fear of the orthopaedic surgeons. I've also known it where they are particularly afraid of the ones who aren't very good. So the people you're seeing at the hospital will be the last one to say anything that might suggest that the outcome of the surgery wasn't quite as hoped.
Get a second opinion, and get it from a different hospital. I'd start with the GP and show the x-rays, make them feel the lump.
Soonest done the better.
Two Soups

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 817 times
Been Liked: 920 times

#217 Post by mikestrivens » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:57 am

@Via you definitely should get a second opinion.

A little story - my sister's partner fell off a ladder a couple of years ago and damaged his shoulder, not broken but the supra spinatus muscle had become detached from the humerus - a very common occurrence apparently. Long story short after an operation and several x-rays etc he was told that nothing more could be done and he'd have to live with the inherent weakness in his shoulder and the permanently detached muscle. He happened to go back to the same hospital (Shrewsbury) because it was still hurting and very weak but saw a different surgeon because the other one was away. The second surgeon said Oh we repair these all the time - a very easy job. So he fixed up to have another operation with this other surgeon and it is all fixed and reattached. He is now working with it to build up his strength in the Supra Spinatus muscle.

So the moral of the tale is never accept what one surgeon says if you are unhappy with the outcome. @Slowlycatchymonkey is right you need to get the NHS to work for you and your GP is the prime mover in making this happen.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Via

#218 Post by Via » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Cheers guys, think you're right tbh, so much has not felt right with my treatment and healing, know a lot is down to seriousness of injury but at same time little faith in hospital anyway.

Can't remember if I've mentioned before (maybe in this thread) but broke same ankle before going over a fence (landed wrong and twisted ankle in, even heard the crack) went to same hospital (and another for 2nd opinion a week after) both times sent home and told just a sprain, 18 weeks later was finally diagnosed it was broken and had a piece of bone floating around next to joint.

But yeah I will book a appointment with GP and see what they say next week :thumb:
Hoggs wrote:

Moonraker
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650S (2000)
Has Liked: 82 times
Been Liked: 134 times

#219 Post by Moonraker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Via wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 pm
Cheers guys, think you're right tbh, so much has not felt right with my treatment and healing, know a lot is down to seriousness of injury but at same time little faith in hospital anyway.

Can't remember if I've mentioned before (maybe in this thread) but broke same ankle before going over a fence (landed wrong and twisted ankle in, even heard the crack) went to same hospital (and another for 2nd opinion a week after) both times sent home and told just a sprain, 18 weeks later was finally diagnosed it was broken and had a piece of bone floating around next to joint.

But yeah I will book a appointment with GP and see what they say next week :thumb:
Good old D Valley by any chance?
A society grows when old men plant trees whose shade they know they'll never sit in.
100 Challenge 2017 - 20 points
100 Challenge 2018 - 20 points
100 Challenge 2019 - Must do better....

Via

#220 Post by Via » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:01 pm

markhibberd5 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:21 pm
Good old D Valley by any chance?
Worse... Medway :roll:
Hoggs wrote:

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Challenge Score: 40
Has Liked: 3219 times
Been Liked: 2622 times

#221 Post by Hoggs » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Well I'm glad I asked how it was going because I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey (you should screenshot that it's unlikely to happen again :lol: ) you definitely need to get a second opinion on this :shock:
NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE 2019 CHALLENGE?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68681

ImageStopping you having fun since 2017

Bender
Has Liked: 800 times
Been Liked: 1303 times

#222 Post by Bender » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm

@Via I'm with the above, had your bones been pinned and your lower leg immobilized you should have joined together bones by now.

I cant really help with anything else but I'm willing, at great inconvenience to my self, to have that pint for you :thumb:

any particular brew I should look out for :D
Bite my shiny, metal ass!

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1164 times
Been Liked: 781 times

#223 Post by geofferz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Good to see you again, @Via. Glad to hear you're healing.
Spanker of cyclists' arses

Speedy23
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 1300A
Has Liked: 206 times
Been Liked: 628 times

#224 Post by Speedy23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 pm

mikestrivens wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 am
Speedy23 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:21 pm
mikestrivens wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 pm
Take a pint of cold water - much more refreshing and better for you as well.
.......but.........it's. ..........not........................BEER!!!!!!!! :cheers:
10/10 for observation
.......Belch....... :puke: :puke: :puke:
Oh my God, what's happened? I don't know man...I just got here myself!

Via

#225 Post by Via » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Hoggs wrote:
Well I'm glad I asked how it was going because I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey (you should screenshot that it's unlikely to happen again :lol: ) you definitely need to get a second opinion on this :shock:
Well I guess it is about time I had a signature :thumb:
Hoggs wrote: