Module 1 - members test experiences

On the look out for a cheap and cheerful 600cc+ to hone my skills on before getting a new/newish bike.

Sports bikes kill my back so a naked or sports tourer seem the best option. Bandit 600/650 currently top of the list.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted my mod 2 experiences in the other thread, so let's do mod 1.

War and peace again like my mod 2 story but I hope it helps, especially if things aren't immediately going well for you in your training!

My initial experiences with a big bike were OK but not great. I'd been riding a 125 for a few months after doing my CBT and whilst I was fine riding it generally, for slow speed manoeuvres I really struggled with the extra weight. My biggest issue was not letting the clutch out a touch more if I felt the bike was falling.... all the way to pulling it in mid figure of 8 with the then inevitable bike drop (the first time I'd dropped any motorbike, grah)

Weirdly my u-turn was always spot on and my instructor said usually *that's* the one people have issues with. But figure of 8 (which was just two u-turns really)... I couldn't quite nail. But by the end of my training day I'd sorted it all out.

Until the day of my first mod 1 - I rode like a bag of spanners most of the day. I rode to the bike school on my 125 and I think that was a mistake, as I then spent a chunk of time getting used to the sudden change in weight. This threw me and made me really tense on the bike, and I couldn't shake the tension in my body. I was so stiff and knew I was, I had a different instructor to my training day and he was fantastic and trying to talk me through but I was fighting the bike through all my inputs, creating a vicious circle where the bike didn't feel settled so I'd tense up more.

If the test could have been cancelled without losing the test fee I genuinely think my instructor for the day would have suggested I didn't do the test (he didn't say this, but to me it was obvious), but off we went to do it anyway.

I had to wait around for two other people to do their mod 1s, including the other guy I was out with that day. Onto mine, and on the slalom I was way too rigid and sure enough put a foot down. Swore inside my helmet, spotted the examiner very politely finding something really interesting on his top to pick at rather than staring at me :-) duck walked back slightly and carried on. Of course, I knew I'd failed so now had a "meh, whatever" attitude and loosened up, so the rest of the test was fine.

Back into the test centre for the examiner to say "well, I think we both know the result of that one don't we". Not in a horrible way, just in a matter of fact way. He pointed out that the only fault I got was the slalom. (Side note, also ended up being the same guy who did my mod 2)

Off we went home, and at this point my instructor could have just gone home. But instead he suggested me and him head out to a car park and in his words "just dick about, no cones, no drills. We're just going to play".

And that's what we did, he built up my confidence in the bike, to let the bike fall and let the bars rotate, doing tighter and tighter turns, turning with one hand (he did it no hands but I didn't quite get that confident), playing silly slow speed manoeuvre games that he made up on the spot. Even doing u-turns with my eyes shut, because he wanted to prove that the "look where you want to go" at slow speeds worked because it forces your body into the position it needs to be to accomplish the task, not because it's some magic technique.

We did that for about an hour and a half and it did wonders for my riding, I can never thank him enough... especially when he could have just sacked it off for the night and gone home. I left with the mantras in my head... "let the bars rotate", "grip the tank with your knees if you ever get tense", "if you spot yourself not breathing change that right away".

So on to retake day which unfortunately was a couple of weeks later due to the bike school being busy, but it probably only took me a few minutes to get back comfortable with the weight again. I felt so much more at ease and ready. As it was a couple of weeks since I'd practised the slow speed stuff on a big bike I asked my instructor (the same guy who took me for my initial training this time) if we could do a little bit of that before hitting the test centre which also helped - remember to not be afraid to ask to practice what you feel you need to practice - you're the customer.

I had to wait for the other guy to do his mod 1 first, which wasn't great as I could feel the nerves coming in again so I made sure for my mod 2 I asked in advance if I was able to do that first. If you don't want to wait around, make the request and see if it's possible. I know for me it was better to get going and get it done.

Different examiner this time, very friendly and we had some friendly jokey chat between the exercises, like when he said that after the emergency stop that I needed to bring the bike to rest between the blue cones. "Just the bike? Do I have to be on it?" etc.

All went swimmingly and just the avoidance exercise to do. Around the curve, throttle open avoid. Felt a touch slow but you never know.... nope. A few mph under so I was asked to go around again.

I didn't want to fail at this final hurdle so of course I properly pinned it.... pushed right, pushed left, braked hard to a stop. Jeez, that felt close to the cone as I was going so fast. Looked in my mirror.... one blue cone on the floor.

"F***! F*** sake!" in my helmet. Examiner walks over, says if I could pull up to the gate and wait for him to open it. Almost can't be bothered to check over my shoulders before pulling off. I'm so annoyed at myself. Pull into the bay, still kicking myself internally. Examiner walks over.

"OK, that's the end of the test and I'm pleased to tell you that you've passed"

I'm taking my helmet off at this point, probably a good thing. I guess my face is looking a bit confused. If I wasn't mid-helmet removal I probably would have said "are you f****** with me?"

I follow him back into the test centre, trying to work out if I misheard him. Maybe he meant "and you were so close to getting your pass!" or something. My instructor gives me a forlorn look as we walk in (he'd seen it all) and I tried to shoot him a "I'm really confused" look. Sit down in the debrief room where the chap starts writing my pass certificate and making small talk. I'm waiting for someone to burst into the room and demand to know what he's doing.

Walk out of the room and my instructor has his eyes wide and mouths "did you pass??", I mouth back "yes" and we all walk outside, out of earshot and me saying "I have no idea what happened, but could we get out of here before someone changes their mind".

Rode home counting my lucky stars. Maybe he didn't see it, but someone else who knows the criteria better than me has suggested that if they are really, really, really sure that you didn't touch the cone and it was just the turbulence of you passing it closely they will give a bit of leeway. I dunno, all I know is that it's the only time in any of my training that a cone fell over in the line of duty, and in another life I'm a very regular road bike rider covering around 6000 mile a year and have put the skills in avoidance to use several times so know that in an emergency I can flick out of the way if I need to - hence why I was so annoyed that I thought it was that I failed on.

Oh, and even when you know you failed, just go along with it and all the checks. In my first test I recomposed myself and figured I'd paid the test fee and just as well experience the rest of the test. The second time I nearly couldn't be bothered and heck imagine failing for not doing observations to move back to the gate at the end if you could have passed...

All in all I have a love hate relationship with the mod 1. I think any fool can get on a bike and ride fast, but riding slow is a skill. I genuinely think the exercises are useful to becoming a good biker, but I couldn't stand the black and white criteria of it compared to the mod 2 which I feel is more of an overall assessment. I pick my bike up today and believe me, I'll be repeating many of the mod 1 exercises in an empty car park to get them nailed on this particular bike.

Remember: practice, and ask to practice what you're not comfortable with. Breath, take your time between each exercise. If waiting around and hearing others go around the pad isn't good for you, ask if you can be booked in first. Let the clutch out a little if you believe the bike is falling. Grip the tank with your knees and pivot your hips to counterweight, and keep those arms loose. The bike needs to fall and the bars need to rotate in order to do the slow turns. Trust in the bike and physics :-) And finally, never give up until you're back in the parking bay and off the bike!

• 4 weeks later...

Passed my Mod 1 today!

It all went rather quickly and before I knew it I was parked up and all done.

There was only one moment on the figure of 8 when I accidentally let the revs dip a little bit which through me off and my initial reaction was to put my foot down but I managed to hold me nerves. Managed to get through it all with a clean sheet.

Now the real work begins with Mod 2 as I haven’t been out on the road much.

Mod 1 PASSED this lunchtime :)

My advice: don't book a lunchtime test slot 😉 - I didn't have any appetite for food beforehand, and wasn't aware of being hungry, or low blood-sugar or any such during the test, but boy was I hungry as soon as I left the test centre. Luckily there was a corner shop, well, around the corner, and I inhaled a meat and potato pie to restore equilibrium.

It's a bit of a trek from Chester to the St Helens test centre when you’re not allowed on motorways, but the shiny new Mersey Gateway bridge is toll-free for motorcycles.

Having arrived more than 10 minutes early, there are posters up in the waiting room telling you to park elsewhere and not take spaces in the test centre car park, but there are no restrictions on the quiet access road, so that was no hardship.

We had to allow plenty of time because of the length of the ride (about 40 minutes if it all goes well), so we were there with probably three-quarters of an hour to spare. I wasn’t feeling particularly anxious, and the weather was dry and pleasant enough, so hanging-around, discretely watching others take their Mod1 was quite a useful way to spend some time.

My confidence was helped by watching the earlier test candidates (two of them), because the better of them was no better than me (by my rating), and the least capable of them was far less accomplished in his slow riding (clutch, throttle and rear brake control) than me, and still passed, which gave me a (slightly schadenfreude-fuelled) boost.

The candidate before me didn’t turn up, so there was a moment or two of confusion while I had to deny being Anthony, but it was my turn soon enough.

The examiner wasn’t scowly / grumpy / aloof or anything specifically unfriendly, but was resolutely silent and emotionless and stuck to reading his script and answering my questions. I decided not to let it bother me, having seen that on the flip-side, this same man had not ten minutes earlier passed a candidate who I watched pull away while still performing his observations, rather than completing observations before moving.

The layout was probably 10-15% more generous in all its dimensions than the space I had been taught and practiced on, which was predictable enough, I suppose, and predictably helpful, too. Oh, except the manual handling of the bike between ‘garages’, which felt like I was walking the bike for ages, past the big gap between the coned-off spaces.

The examiner was very specific in saying I should maintain a speed of 19mph as I rode around the far end of the arena, but I figured I wasn’t being measured at that stage, so fekk that extra little stressful detail, and I would just ride the corner as fast or slow as felt safe and appropriate. I got a bit lost in the detail of his explanation as he described the first ride around the far end and controlled stop, so I asked him to clarify he was asking me to ride around the turn anti-clockwise, and I was away.

Emergency stop next; went well; told me he wouldn’t ask for that again (good!) and then onward to the swerve / avoidance exercise. I’d asked him what speed I went through the speed trap on the emergency stop and it was 51kph. Good: I’ll go that speed again then. But I didn’t quite manage it and the swerve went well, but I only got 47kph – a single kph too slow to pass with a minor, but without a repeat. So on to a re-try, and this time went through at 54kph.

And we’re done!

Keep the observations going until the engine is off, and into the office: I had the minor for having to repeat the avoidance, and he definitely said my other (only other) minor was for taking ‘too much space on the slalom’, but I’m sure he meant on the figure-eight: My slalom was pretty tight, and while I took a wide curve through the figure eight, I didn’t stray anywhere near any ‘extra’ cones, so it’s a bit of a mystery what he was trying to highlight, but my pass certificate was right there in his hand at that stage, so I wasn’t about to start arguing the details!

Mod2 here I come.

Congratulations on passing the MOD 1, the hardest part is over imo.

Are you taking your MOD 2 at St Helens?

If you are, be careful of the 20 mph zone if you get taken left out of the test centre then left again on your next 2 side roads after it. It catches people out as it's normal to be nervous for the first couple minutes and miss the signs.

The general test routes are good in that area, just need to keep your eyes peeled on speed limits, they seem to focus on 2 areas where the limit changes every few hundred yards.

If you are, be careful of the 20 mph zone if you get taken left out of the test centre then left again on your next 2 side roads after it. It catches people out as it's normal to be nervous for the first couple minutes and miss the signs.

The general test routes are good in that area, just need to keep your eyes peeled on speed limits, they seem to focus on 2 areas where the limit changes every few hundred yards.

This is good advice, and I think it's definitely a good idea to know the speed limits of the first couple of roads near the test centre. Worth looking on streetview if the images are up to date - I did and at least you know for example you exit the test centre on a 30mph and you need to be wary of a change on a certain few roads nearby.

I have my Mod1 next week, and just reading that made me nervous.

Opps, sorry!

That wasn't my intention.

And don't be - it's all over very quickly.

I got an attack of anxious butterflies as the examiner was explaining the slow ride, so I was a bit wobbly but OK, and the next thing I knew I was riding towards the higher-speed exercises, and just the act of opening the throttle a bit in 2nd gear blew all the worries away in an instant and I was on my way.

This is good advice, and I think it's definitely a good idea to know the speed limits of the first couple of roads near the test centre. Worth looking on streetview if the images are up to date - I did and at least you know for example you exit the test centre on a 30mph and you need to be wary of a change on a certain few roads nearby.

Thank you, both.

Mod2 is in Chester, where I'm about a million time more familiar with the roads - and I am already learning some of the local speed limits, tricky corners etc - I was off down a couple of likely lanes in my car over the weekend, reccying.

Yesterday was the 3rd time in my life I've been to St Helens, and the first was 30 years ago and I was drunk, so you can't hold me to retaining much of that (it involved a summer festival of some sort, a beer tent, and a requirement to do something constructive with the quantities of beer that was being tested for weights and measures compliance by the trading standards officers with whom I was visiting).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was my Mod 1, so here's a quick summary of the week and, perhaps, some info that may be of use to others. Probably worth noting that I paid for three days training this week, and then Mods 1 and 2 (as a package, but with Mod 2 to be booked if and when Mod 1 was passed).

On Tuesday I spent the entire day on the road, but on a YBR; this is the standard approach to Day 1 DAS training at the school I'm using (North London Motorcycle Training in Edgware), and although I was sceptical about it I think I understand now why they work that way. Anyway, unlike the riding I've been doing on my own, much of this was flat out, and the main things I took from the day were not to be hesitant when approaching junctions and roundabouts; and to get up to speed (that is, the speed limit if it's safe to do so), as soon as possible. It was much more aggressive riding than I'd been doing, including spells at 60mph on dual carriageways.

Wednesday was both exciting and upsetting. It was my first experience on a larger bike (the Gladius 650), and I spent half the time in a large private car park set up to mirror (albeit in a smaller area) the Mod1 test pad, and the other half on the road. The road riding, as it had been the day before, was absolutely fine. We stayed relatively local, hit some dual carriageways too, and I loved every second of it. The manoeuvres for the Mod 1 test were more mixed, though. All the fast/emergency stuff was fine, and I was pretty decent on the slalom. However, I was struggling to push the bike backwards and re-park it as my technique was pants; and I put my foot down a couple of times on my u-turns. Also, I was far better going in one direction on my figure eights than the other. All of that paled into insignificance, though, when my instructor told me to park up and get off the bike for a chat. I was fairly near a perimeter fence, and for some reason decided to do a u-turn in that direction. Realising I couldn't make it I panicked, hit full lock and slowly toppled over. The embarrassment, with all the CBT candidates watching, was indescribable :shock:

I went home feeling a bit dejected, but Thursday was better and a lot of fun. The road riding was superb, with some 60 and 70 mph stretches as well as horrors like the Uxbridge Road and Hangar Lane (we also had a look at the Uxbridge test pad, where we'd be heading for the Mod 1 the following afternoon). The Mod 1 practice was better, although if I'm honest I knew I was still capable of doing something silly, so I wouldn't going into the test in any kind of over-confident frame of mind.

So, to today. We started with some really good Mod 1 practice, and then did a mock test. During the practice I nailed both my u-turns and high speed manoeuvres, and I managed to do everything to a good standard in the mock test. We then rode from Edgware to Uxbridge, where we had a bite of lunch and then rode one of the Mod 2 routes before heading back to the test centre with about quarter of an hour to spare. Soon enough, I was sitting on my bike, waiting to enter the test pad area.

During this morning's practice I managed to find a technique for the parking test at the start, so buoyed with a bit of extra confidence after that I worked my way through the slow stuff. All went very well, thank goodness, and following the slalom, figure eights, slow riding and u-turn I then finished off the other fast elements without mishap. I got one minor (for being 1kph slow - 49kph - through the speed trap on my hazard avoidance), but that aside it was a clean sheet. I found it much less stressful than I thought it was going to be, and the beautiful surface and masses of room actually made it easier than all the practice I'd done leading up to the test.

Next stop - Mod 2, booked for the 11th October, although I'm hoping for a cancellation!

Edited by learningtofly

I've just got home after doing mine!

So originally I booked to do one day of practice on Sat then in for the test on Monday. The Saturday went badly as the massive space of the area you test in overwhelmed me a bit and I had a different instructor who I dont seem to get on with as well as my usual. So I decided to pay extra and have another go on Sunday. This was 100% worth the money though!

Anyway come test day i was of course a bag of nerves, did a few practices of stops and U turns, one U turn went a bit pair shaped (nearly dropped the bike because i tired to turn at like 2 mph hahahah idiot) but I was feeling warmed up and starting to accept whatever happens, happens.

The Lincoln test centre is a good one, good concrete, only a slight slope but work to your advantage when moving the bike from one bay to another. the only downside is one of the U turn bays turns you towards the hedge running the outside. fortunately i didnt use this one in my test!

Really friendly examiner, very warm and clear with his instructions. Test felt like minutes rather than about 15. Didnt have to repeat the speedier parts as i did 59kph on the emergency stop and 61 on the avoidance :shock:

Super happy!

Just remember when you are riding in and out of the arena you are still under test conditions, he/she still has his/her pen out and will give you a minor for not checking over your shoulder. :thumb:

Congratulations!

I went to pieces on my First Mod one and failed stalling on the slalom which is the first thing you do on the bike! 2nd time a was more calm and passed. It is a great feeling. I did my Mod 2 a few weeks later and passed with a couple of minors. stalling at lights and "failing to make progress" - I thought the 40mph I was in was a 30MPH ! - Only time in my life i think i have ever been criticised for for being too slow...

I guess the best tips I can offer is 1. For the U turn use the full length of the white line to get the bike moving, dont rush the turn as if you commit and you are going too slow, the bike will wobble and possibly fall over (true story, although i did manage to wedge the bike so i didnt fully drop it :oops: ). Also look to the end point of the turn not at the line or you'll go wide.

2. Perfect speeds for slow speed stuff might vary slightly depending on what you are riding/you as a person, but I found sticking to these (when I wasnt having wobblers during practice and instead just slowing down and thinking about it!) helped hugely (i did these speeds both on an SV and a Gladius)! Slalom - 5-6mph, figure of 8 about 7mph, slow ride and u turn 4mph. For the faster stuff I stayed in second, and went through the bend at 15-20mph (when I did a quick glance I was at 18 on my test) so it wasnt quite as much of a hammering on the throttle to hit the 32mph speeds right. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Failed my mod 1 for the second time last week, frustrated isn’t the word.

Both times I’ve failed on the hazard avoidance, the LAST exercise aaaaaargh.

First time I couldn’t find the speed even though he let me have another crack.

Second time I was too slow again 47km on the first go so on my second attempt I was concentrating too hard on my speed that I sent the blue cone to the other side of the test pad with my foot. The thing is though I’m sure I hit it when I was swerving back in to the upright position if that makes sense.

On my next go I’m gonna attempt it in third gear because I’ve been trained to do it in second but psychologically I think I’m going flat out and I’m losing my bottle and shutting off the throttle before I reach the speed trap.

One question I do have though is are the examiners looking at the angle you approach the final 2 cones where you eventually stop the bike at the end of the exercise? ie if you swerve out too far are you expected to bring the bike back into a position where you approach the final stop facing dead forward and perpendicular to the stop cones.

Sorry for the long winded post but any advice on making this easier on my third go would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance