Module 2 - members test experiences

Well done [mention]Lanceautoman[/mention], I failed a driving test in 2002 for doing 40 in a 30, even though they acknowledged the sign announcing the start of the new limit had been removed a few days before. I was told that I should have worked it out from the streetlights. Nice to see a bit more common sense can prevail.

I managed to buy a bike a few days after my pass and hadn't ridden between passing and calling my insurer so managed to pay just the one admin fee!

Evenin all,

Just thought I'd return to provide a pleasant update to my failure post on July 21st. On my third attempt I finally passed my Mod 2 at Shrewsbury!

Following my second failed attempt (resulting in a termination of the test) my confidence was very badly shaken. But I knew I couldn't give up so I found a new school to have a lesson and booked the test again. I learnt more at this place in 1 lesson (RJH) than I did in all my lessons with the previous school. If you are in the Manchester/Chester area I would highly recommend these guys. They are highly professional, very friendly and lack the over familiarity of some of the less salubrious establishments who frankly will talk to you like an unwanted child. They teach you to ride safe, not just to pass the test. They also have a whole range of instructional videos on YouTube which were invaluable for me.

I took the advice given on here and had a friend who lives near the test area drive me around, showing me all the tricky areas particularly things that had failed me before like complex roundabouts. I took my time to learn all road signs and the many types of junctions (I rode out into oncoming traffic on last test!).

I experience anxiety in everyday life and under test situations it increases with the added pressure. To counter this I used meditation and avoided all forms of caffeine and alcohol until the test. This may seem excessive to some but I overthink everything and my brain is always going a 1000 mph, so I am in a constant battle to stay calm. Doing the above has brought a lot of benefits aside from the test and I will be continuing with it.

I booked the entire day off for the test even though it was early in the morning so I didn't have to worry about getting to work afterwards. I prepared and double checked everything I needed was ready the night before. Got to the school in plenty of time and had a lovely ride down to Shrewsbury with the instructor and another trainee in the morning sun. I amazed myself at how calm I was when I got there. Knowing I had some knowledge of the area and had done everything I possibly could to fill my gaps in understanding removed a lot of the usual anxiety. Previously I'd followed this idea of my brother's on the last two tests to not tell anyone when the tests were. The point being there would be less pressure to pass. All this did was make me feel like I was alone in the experience! Knowing I had the support and well wishes of all my friends and family really gave me a positive mental outlook for this test and I'm certain aided me in passing in a big way.

Anyway I passed, the guy who did my test was a really friendly bloke and put me at ease right from the start. I did get 9 minors, mostly caused by being overly cautious (not wanting to take any risks) but a pass is a pass! I really hope my methods above will help someone else in a similar situation.

I have spent most of the last 24 hours on my 07 Ninja, on my second tank already and my face hurts from grinning!!

Good luck!

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Passed my MOD 2 first time on Friday at St Helens test centre.

Examiner was Paul and he was pleasant enough, not overly friendly but very calm and reassuring.

On the ride to the test centre before the test was the best I'd ever rode. When under pressure I seem to perform alot better and relax, the opposite of most people it seems.

Took a test route that we hadn't been on with the instructor, partly due to me only doing 2 MOD 2 lessons prior to the test itself. However my old man had done his DAS a couple of months before and told me his test route, and it ended up being the exact same route.

The biker gods were on my side that day, as 200 yards after leaving the test centre I was stuck behind a learner car driver on test with no safe places to pass and make progress. The route consisted of 60% country lane riding with varying 30/40/50 bending road speed limits.

Grinning like a Cheshire cat when i got back and told me I'd passed.

I have a new 'big' bike being delivered on Tuesday coming up. It's been the longest few days of my life waiting for this bike!

Thanks chaps

Congratulations. Now the learning really starts. What bike have you gone for?

A 2018 Honda CB650F in White :D

Already have a few bits for the bike to add to it when it arrives.

Itching to get a few miles under my belt before winter arrives, it'll be a fair weather bike only!

Ooh when’s it arriving?

You can easily be a fair weather rider and ride all year in this country (ice n snow aside that is) you just have to keep an eye on the forecast and you’ll be surprised how many dry sunny days there are that are a joy to ride. Especially as most of the cyclist stay inside and people move to practical journeys, meaning at off peak times the right roads can be gloriously empty.

The trick to enjoying it is getting the right gear and staying warm and comfortable. If you get the layers right you’ll be toasty. This requires a bit of practice.

For me this was quite some task as I’m a cold blooded soul so I have the option of many layers- merino base layer, long sleeve tee or thin jumper, thermoball jacket (this is an excellent thin thermal jacket which is as warm wet as dry!) a heated vest, motorcycle jacket, heated glove liners, lobster claw gloves, heated boot insoles and a padded snowmobile suit over the top! Yes all at the same time- Id give Mr Blobby a run for his money! The vast majority don’t need this level of layers and heating but if someone like me can enjoy (really enjoy) biking through the winter anyone can.

Ooh when’s it arriving?

You can easily be a fair weather rider and ride all year in this country (ice n snow aside that is) you just have to keep an eye on the forecast and you’ll be surprised how many dry sunny days there are that are a joy to ride. Especially as most of the cyclist stay inside and people move to practical journeys, meaning at off peak times the right roads can be gloriously empty.

The trick to enjoying it is getting the right gear and staying warm and comfortable. If you get the layers right you’ll be toasty. This requires a bit of practice.

For me this was quite some task as I’m a cold blooded soul so I have the option of many layers- merino base layer, long sleeve tee or thin jumper, thermoball jacket (this is an excellent thin thermal jacket which is as warm wet as dry!) a heated vest, motorcycle jacket, heated glove liners, lobster claw gloves, heated boot insoles and a padded snowmobile suit over the top! Yes all at the same time- Id give Mr Blobby a run for his money! The vast majority don’t need this level of layers and heating but if someone like me can enjoy (really enjoy) biking through the winter anyone can.

This needs a photograph. That's a phenomenal layering system.

Ooh when’s it arriving?

This needs a photograph. That's a phenomenal layering system.

When it’s cold enough I’ll get a photo- not taken by me of course because my arms can’t bend that much with that many layers on :lol:

Only drawback is you risk getting shot when the suit comes off and people see all the wires and battery packs strapped to you, Ive had a few panicked looks outside the supermarket!

• 2 weeks later...

...aaannd...there it is - my Mod2 test pass certificate.

Earned on the most rainy, pissing-down-awful, relentlessly drenching day of the (late) summer, but it's mine, all the same.

6 minors - which was fair considering I lost the instructor through the first set of lights out of the test centre :angel12:, stalled the bike (for the first time ever) in the middle of the road on a right turn :roll: and having shown no issues at all through my time riding the same bike on all my lessons and the MOD1, the damn thing decided my Mod2 was the right time to stop going into first if I stopped in a higher gear.

Probably helped me, to be fair, as it gave me something to focus on and the examiner could see me faffing about and repeatedly trying to get into first.

The examiner was great - he's a reputation as a bit of a one if he thinks you're not up to snuff, apparently, but for me, and in the nasty conditions today - pouring rain, loads of spray, and standing water - he was really fair; advising me when we went into a national speed limit zone that the repeater signs were missing, so I should ride as if I'd seen a black and white national speed limit sign.

And the minors he gave me match my recollection of my riding really well, and are typical of the things I've done and will keep trying to improve on.

Four hours today in soaking rain, having to take my sodden gloves on and off was horrid - I was glad to get the test going because by the time I'd done the show-me, tell-me bits, my body heat had brought the cold gloves back up to temperature.

Oh, and I came as close as I've ever come to dropping the bike about an hour before the test, when the road camber caught me off-guard and my left foot went further down before finding the floor that I was expecting :shock:

I wasn't able to show the examiner that I was an expert rider, but I think (I know) that I managed to show him that I'm a proficient one. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

I took my mod 2 test last monday. It was semi eventful.

Test was 1020 am so had a warm up test route before the test, unfortunately the other student was on his first day of riding a big bike and was a little slow getting up to speed and didn't like to go past 50 on dual carriageways so we only just made it to the test centre on time, no time to have a panic wee or relax straight into the docs check and then out to start the show me tell me stuff. Got operate horn and refill oil and a pillion question so easy enough, then on the registration plate reading I had to do it through a fence so as I moved my head to look I bonked my helmet off the examiner. Luckily he has a his helmet on too and laughed it off that I had just "headbutted" him. So little bit more nervous. Head out of the test centre and up to the first set of lights and first roundabout. Nerves get to me and I go the wrong way on the roundabout, so all the way around on the next one and back on track, extra pressure on myself but at least I was safe. Little nervous so riding wasn't optimal felt much smoother on mock tests or maybe I was over thinking it. Pull over a few times seemed fine, the one behind a parked car was a tad tight but managed it. Overtook a slow truck on the dual carriage way with just enough time to make the next junction then I rode about a mile guessing the speed due to the sun Blaring down at the most awkward angle directly onto the speedo, tried to listen to the engine but it's not easy. Get some respite as I round the corner but miss the inital 40 sign so sit at 30 for a bit until the repeater sign where a sudden burst of speed brings me back up to the right speed.

Few times I overrevved and sounded like a Vauxhall nova 1.3 Sri in a Lidl car park circa 1999 but was smooth enough with the clutch I guess and then all of a sudden we were back in the test centre.

Of all my rides it felt the worst and I was waiting for the worst, he didn't make me suffer too long and congratulated me on passing with 1 minor fault.

Chuffed.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed yesterday with no faults! :D (after multiple attempts,but that's a long tale of woe!)

The examiners at Gillingham are a really good bunch,full of encouragement and advice,even after my earlier poor attempts!

Anyway,got my first big bike in work(speed four),so first ride today to get home.Should be 'interesting',as route is A13/dartford bridge/M25/M20. :shock: