Rally check in 2018

rennie

:lol: maybe in about 6 months time!

We might have won the Euromillions by then and sodded off to Spain 8-)

And you be paying for the rally and transport to Spain for us all :lol:

Without wishing to tread on anybody's toes, I have just sent an enquiry to the Greedy Goose here: http://www.thegreedygoosemoreton.co.uk/index.asp

Have a look - it's very central, near to Moreton-in-Marsh, easy to get to and prices are not too bad. Lots of places to ride out to - including the NMM on the A45. I know this pub quite well and it ticks all our boxes. Just waiting for a reply. I will let you know what they reckon.

Cheers

S23

Also had a tentative positive from

The Gate Hangs High

Whichford Rd

Hook Norton

OX15 5DF

01608 737387

Have a look at it, see what you think.....

https://www.gatehangshigh.co.uk

PS I know the Guvnor here so possibly cut some slack on a deal?

Cheers

S23

only two rooms available and up to ten tents?

looks a nice remote location though

Also had a tentative positive from

The Gate Hangs High

Whichford Rd

Hook Norton

OX15 5DF

01608 737387

Have a look at it, see what you think.....

https://www.gatehangshigh.co.uk

PS I know the Guvnor here so possibly cut some slack on a deal?

Cheers

S23

only two rooms available and up to ten tents? Looks a nice remote location though

Hi Stu....from the homepage blurb...

"The Gate Hangs High is situated between the market towns of Banbury and Chipping Norton, close to the village of Hook Norton. A traditional pub with a warm atmosphere serving good food and traditional ales from Hook Norton Brewery.Our accommodation comprises of 3 double rooms and 1 twin room, all en-suite. the rooms are set across a small courtyard, separate from the pub itself. With ample parking, a large beer garden and a campsite with 5 electric hook-up points and further space for tents"

the 10 tents is talking about those big family frame tents.....

If anybody is further interested, I can go and see Ali (the Guvnor) and take some photos which I can put online.....

Cheers

S23

[mention]Speedy23[/mention] I stand corrected

I looked at the booking page and it just showed 2 rooms a double or a twin obviously you just select which you want and can book one if available

Looking on google maps the camping field looks huge which we could easily squeeze more than 10 on but not sure if there is any regulations in place that has put that limit of 10 on :?

... I will go and have a pint with Alastair (the guv) to see what the score is but he's fairly interested at the moment. I will take a few photos as well...... should report back in a couple of days.....

S23

Just heard back from Ali..... yes, numbers of tents is a flexible quantity so just going to see what the score is on the karaoke etc. Looking quite favorable at the moment..... Ijin, why don't you shoot over and have a look, see what you think... It's only about [strikeout]1/2 hour[/strikeout] OK, an hour-ish from you.

No Breakfast!

No Dogs (in the Cabins)!

Function Room?

Good try but..... Keep looking mate, the more choices we have, the better.

:thumb: :cheers: :thumb:

Just had a reply off GG - they will do breakfasts, there is a small bar at the front of the pub that can be used as a function room, but I don't know how many pubs would allow dogs in the rooms......at the moment, the Gate is looking like the best option round here. Just got to find out about the karaoke/disco/ ritual humiliation (fancy dress) side of things.....Will let everyone know in a day or so....

Cheers

S23

Just had a reply off GG - they will do breakfasts, there is a small bar at the front of the pub that can be used as a function room, but I don't know how many pubs would allow dogs in the rooms......at the moment, the Gate is looking like the best option round here.

Ooh Ohh!

Gin is more than happy to look after dogs for the duration of the weekend! We can bring the bigger tent with us, with the huge bedroom and porch so I can make sure they have all the room (and snuggles) they could want :mrgreen:

(I'm sure [mention]Saddlebags[/mention] will be ok with this, because after 6 years he should already expect me to want to cuddle every dog I see, regardless of drool!)

Just had a reply off GG - they will do breakfasts, there is a small bar at the front of the pub that can be used as a function room, but I don't know how many pubs would allow dogs in the rooms......at the moment, the Gate is looking like the best option round here.

Ooh Ohh!

Gin is more than happy to look after dogs for the duration of the weekend! We can bring the bigger tent with us, with the huge bedroom and porch so I can make sure they have all the room (and snuggles) they could want :mrgreen:

(I'm sure @Saddlebags will be ok with this, because after 6 years he should already expect me to want to cuddle every dog I see, regardless of drool!)

......Hi there, Gin, any chance you & SB could get along to the Gate and Greedy Goose to have a look at them......just to get 2nd opinion. I reckon the Gate would be good - better than the Greedy Goose as it's a bit more isolated (Greedy Goose is on A44 just N of Chipping Norton). To get to Gate from where you are, go into Banbury, up past Tesco etc. to big roundabout then take B4035 to Shipston.......turn left just after S.Tadmarton follow signs to waterfowl sanctuary....when you get to X roads with white house, turn right follow signs to Hook Norton. Gate Hangs High is just by turn for Hook Norton on right hand side of road. If you want to speak to the boss, ask for Ali and tell him you know Jan the fireman and that it's about the bike rally. He will know what you're on about. If you just wanna go incognito, also fine....

Just to get a balanced view, you understand........ :cheers:

Ooh! Not far from us at all.

Yeah will have to go and have a lookie at some point soon :D

If, big if I know, but if it does get picked as a Rally location, SB and his folkes know the roads round there pretty well so he can help the mod team come up with a ride out route. Some of the Cotswolds roads are LUSH!

Ooh! Not far from us at all.

Yeah will have to go and have a lookie at some point soon :D

If, big if I know, but if it does get picked as a Rally location, SB and his folkes know the roads round there pretty well so he can help the mod team come up with a ride out route. Some of the Cotswolds roads are LUSH!

I think you mean he can lead the rideout :lol: :lol:

......Hi there, Gin, any chance you & SB could get along to the Gate and Greedy Goose to have a look at them......just to get 2nd opinion. I reckon the Gate would be good - better than the Greedy Goose as it's a bit more isolated (Greedy Goose is on A44 just N of Chipping Norton). To get to Gate from where you are, go into Banbury, up past Tesco etc. to big roundabout then take B4035 to Shipston.......turn left just after S.Tadmarton follow signs to waterfowl sanctuary....when you get to X roads with white house, turn right follow signs to Hook Norton. Gate Hangs High is just by turn for Hook Norton on right hand side of road. If you want to speak to the boss, ask for Ali and tell him you know Jan the fireman and that it's about the bike rally. He will know what you're on about. If you just wanna go incognito, also fine....

Gate hangs high is a nice pub, regularly do bike nights (if still under the same management).

Greedy goose ive been past but never been in. I'm happy to got for a pint and have a look though :cheers:

.....Is this starting to look like a plan is coming together? I'm gonna go see Ali tomorrow so will take some photos, etc. :cheers:

Don't hold your breath just yet as one little hurdle can throw it all off

But it's looking very good so far :thumb:

Gate hangs high is a nice pub, regularly do bike nights (if still under the same management).

Greedy goose ive been past but never been in. I'm happy to got for a pint and have a look though :cheers:

It's a "Doh!!!" moment........should have known you might be familiar with the establishments. So what do you think? Reckon it could be a goer? It's nice and central and accessible, lots of places to ride out to and the beer ain't too bad either. Anybody else got any obs on all this?

Cheers

S23

As I said before, I know I'm new and don't want to tread on any toes so I'll leave it here for now. Hope it's been of some help, though.

Carry on as you are you're not treading on toes and it's a big help :thumb:

Visiting a venue is when you really find out if it's the right place or not :)

Well I went to see the Gate today - it does look good, the camping field at the back is massive - and wait for it, it has a dedicated fire pit (huge) that you can pitch tents around. I suppose you could even roast dead animals over it if you really wanted to. 5 x hook-ups available for camper vans/posh tents. If you want him to, Ali can arrange log supplies to suit. The pub is dog-friendly. There is no separate function room but at the back in the large beer garden, is a marquee that can be used as an outdoor bar. I will be posting some pictures later on.

Ali has said that other bike clubs such as HOG (I know, sorry...) and the Indian O/C have regular rallies there, so they are used to our little "special requirements", as it were....... I think that this is a contender.

Regards

S23