Fixings - refinishing

Mickly

Many corroded fixings can be replaced with stainless steel replacements - but what about ‘ specials ‘ ?

The Cam cover bolts on the Trophy have slightly corroded heads and although still serviceable are unsightly - what solutions are available to get them shiny and protected from further corrosion?

I can’t see a plater being prepared to do 10 volts as a batch without paying through the nose for it.

Has anyone any other ideas?

You should be able to get stainless replacements.

8-)

You certainly can but I suspect that our friend has seen the price of them hence the request for refinishing solutions. https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-cam-cover-bolt-stainless-steel--seal-oem-t3330241--sold-individually-45533-p.asp

Many corroded fixings can be replaced with stainless steel replacements - but what about ‘ specials ‘ ?

The Cam cover bolts on the Trophy have slightly corroded heads and although still serviceable are unsightly - what solutions are available to get them shiny and protected from further corrosion?

I can’t see a plater being prepared to do 10 volts as a batch without paying through the nose for it.

I'd get a few quotes from some platers first , you could be pleasantly surprised. I haven't looked too hard but the only stainless replacements I have seen so far are £10 a pop . I wouldn't think a plater would charge £100 for a handful of bolts . https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-cam-cover-bolt-stainless-steel--seal-oem-t3330241--sold-individually-45533-p.asp

maybe the corrosion would come off with a gentle polish using fine wire wool . After that you could use some high temp engine lacquer but I have always found that lacquer makes polished objects go dull .

Anyone tried a home plating kit?

No. Here's a thought though, what if they happened to be the same as those used on another make of bike I.e Kawasaki or Suzuki ? Maybe they would be cheaper if they weren't specifically sold for a triumph. 😉

When the rust comes through the zinc plating, I rotary wire brush them until bright and shiny, screw them back in, degrease em and paint with nail varnish clear coat brush or use a coloured nail varnish that makes em look like anodised aluminium.

When the rust comes through the zinc plating, I rotary wire brush them until bright and shiny, screw them back in, degrease em and paint with nail varnish clear coat brush or use a coloured nail varnish that makes em look like anodised aluminium.

Yeah, that's exactly what I have done on a few bits on my ER5 and it works pretty well. There's no reason why you can't mirror polish steel except for the fact that it rusts straight away. The addition of lacquer gives a sort of pewter like effect which doesn't look too bad . I don't know which lacquer would work best on an engine, some of them go yellow quickly and this produces a gold effect . I use Tool station clear lacquer. It works really well on brushed aluminium surfaces like fork legs or foot peg hangers .

The Stainless Steel ones include the seal - which Triumph will relieve you of £48 for a set of 10, although Sprint Manufacturing will only charge you £18.

Unfortunately Sprint don’t seem to do the bolts.

It’s not just corrosion that’s the issue with the bolts, it’s also the ham fisted attempts of a previous owner to remove them - by the looks of them they used a chisel, lump hammer. Mole grips and the light touch of an axe murderer.

Even cheaper....find a fastener shop and take the offending items along....you will be surprised what they have in stock......very few designers will go to the trouble of designing fasteners for specific applications.....they like parts books as much as the rest of us.

Anyone tried a home plating kit?

I have been looking at some Nickel plating kits on EBay recently, price doesn't seem unreasonable.

Nickel plating is quite popular with small engineering firms now because the chemicals are less dangerous than Zinc plating.

Finish usually ends up looking like chrome but not as shinny.

The hardest part is getting all the corrosion off before plating.