You dirty rat...

MarkW

Can I come work for you? It sounds like it would be bloody brilliant.

When can you start? You'll have to pass a rigorous selection process first though, which entails us offering you a cup of tea and us weeding out anyone who asks for Early Grey, or any similar poncy southern muck.

I need to give a months notice and I bloody hate earl grey, but I do still think loose leaf is better than a bag. I'm also willing to get a Jack Russell and watch it kill rats.

Ah but I already have a Jack Russell, and can happily drink PG Tips [mention]MarkW[/mention] When do I start? :D

• 2 months later...

So, a bit of an odd end to this story.

We had a new lad from our pest control company come round today. I asked him how the guy that usually came round was doing, as I hadn't seen him for a few weeks. I nearly fell off my chair when he said that he'd died! He was apparently found dead in his van on a clients carpark, and although a heart attack was suspected the post mortem was inconclusive. He was only 49.

He was ex-army, and was always keen to know how many rats I'd managed to shoot whenever he came round. I didn't know him well at all, but he was one of those friendly people who immediately brighten your day when they appear at the door. I shall miss him. :(

A good friend of mine died at 60, 3 months before he was due to take early retirement.

He had a great Pension lined up and all for nowt.

That’s why I decided to retire early, 40 years service is enough, I’m gonna have some time relaxing before I kick it.

Yep can’t imagine the women I worked with still being able to lift patients or push wheelchairs with clinically obese people in when they’re 67. I suspect they’ll all die from wear n tear before then but I suppose that’s the idea isn’t it :cry:

49 is a bit young for a heart attack, it happens but it’s rare, there hasnt been enough time to clog up the arteries sufficiently. Unknown congenital defect or drugs would be the first suspects. Unless he was very overweight?

I suspect they’ll all die from wear n tear before then but I suppose that’s the idea isn’t it :cry:

:offtopic: but

pensions introduced in 1908 at 70 years but means tested and life expectancy 50-55 only 1 in 4 reached 70

1925 pensions for all at 65 not means tested. life expectancy 58-63

1940 pensions male 65 female 60 LE male 63 fm 68 rum deal for blokes

now 66 for both with life expectancy 79-83.

so in real terms more likely to be able to receive a pension than when they were first introduced.

Still dont agree with the increase in pension age though. it should have been equalised for both sexes at 60.

[mention]JRH[/mention] Very interesting.

My retirement age would be 67 and I cant see anyone managing it for that long. Fortunately I had other plans and am out of it. The 60year olds there cant manage now. Watching them creak and groan is awful. Theyre often (genuinely) off sick with a strain or ailment. Its just too physically demanding to graft at that level for that long and not wear yourself out.

My doubts over the retirement age are numerous but the two that seem to keep cropping up are-

Whats the actual cost to employers, the service and the employee when they cant manage the job and go off sick.

Doesn’t someone whos grafted for 50ish years deserve some retirement in good health. A long frail old age isnt much cop.

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] I totally agree. Just because the population as a whole are living longer what proportion is actually fit and healthy and able to continue in their work.

We had a rat wander into the Jobcentre where I work on Wednesday. We had to conduct a full evacuation by having a fire drill while the pest control guy shot it . Poor Ratty , he was only looking for work.

Government don't want anyone to retire.

They capped pension contributions making it difficult to contribute enough to get a good pension.

They are taxing second homes and rental income to stop people making money from property.

They changed the tax on dividends and self employment to make that less appealing.

School ages are setup to get kids into school early so parents get back to work/taxgeneration sooner.

If you're not generating tax money the government don't want you to exist.

Edit:

They strip your assets when you get old to pay for your own healthcare.

They treat prisoners better than the elderly.

When you die if you leave anything to your kids they tax the inheritance.