UK.. more money than sense.

Gerontious

So.. we already have a GPS system that works and it cost us nothing aside from any help given to the yanks back in the day. And more recently the EU decided they wanted their own system.. maybe this was a good idea. as a back-up in case the American system went down... I'm not really sure what the justification was, likely partially military. But.. anyway, the Uk has already spent £1.2 BILLION on this new EU system.

and.. now. we are going to throw that money away and spend.. initially £100 million on a "study" to look into the feasibility of a UK GPS system.. our own little team of satellites. Followed by "several BILLION" to build and launch these satellites. (in true UK fashion this will likely end up as several TEEN billions)

meanwhile.. the roads are falling apart. the railway system is a disaster and we have a lovely big aircraft carrier with no aircraft. not to mention all the social problems mostly made worse by lack of money.

you couldn't make it up.

http://tinyurl.com/ybsbwwwp

What on earth is a remoaner?

A repeat moaner? This thread has nothing to do with brexit. It's all about the government spending money it usually says it doesn't have on something we don't really need.

Oh... And this isn't bike chat... Look up. It says quite clearly Non Motorbike Related.

ive been baiting the remoaners on twitter for the last couple of days. hilarious bunch of idiots!

but yeah, UK doesn't need its own sat nav. we don't build our own military vehicles anymore, we buy them in ready fitted with GPS so cant even argue its for defense purposes.

its a stupid waste of money.

The exit bunch came up with it after the remain lot said "ok fine, can you please tell us the plan for leaving?"

and they screamed BREXIT MEANS BREXIT and we said ok great but if you could please break it down into a quick list of the social and economic ramifications plus the dreaded free movement of people- specifically people who are already here that would be great and they went ugggh stop moaning you...you remoaner! and then we laughed when they got angry about possibly having to pay £7 a pop to go to Europe.

Thank you, this has been newsshite. We're all fooked let's ride some more whilst crying into our helmets

Typical remoaners scaremongering logic...

Apparently UK drivers will not be allowed to drive in the EU and EU drivers will not be allowed to drive in the UK for 11 years post brexit....

Screenshot_20180827-073021_Twitter.thumb.jpg.629426d759d16f07a0bee42357224d31.jpg

Its a staggering waste. I’m not sure how it stacks up legally either. If you pay a certain amount towards an item (that is not a gift) surely you own a percentage of that item so how can the other owners tell you that you cant have access?

I suspect someone’s friends are stuffing their pockets with taxpayers money and laughing all the way to the bank. How else can this be happening?!

Back on topic....this might actually be a good thing. My current satnav has an American lady telling me where to go but then she completely fails to be able pronounce English place names let alone Welsh ones. Driving around in Wales is hilarious seeing how she mangles the directions.

Now suppose we end up with a European satnav system. We'd either have some French person giving us all the wrong directions because they hate the British (something to do with a chap called Nelson sinking all their ships a while back) - or we'd have some German authoritarian shouting "Achtung, dumpkoffen" whenever we miss a turning

Much better to have a rather polite chap giving directions in proper English..."I say old chap, if you wouldn't mind awfully taking the next left, that little road by the Mucky Duck, there's a rather nice pond to see if you go that way."

And if you take the wrong turn you'd get something like..."Excuse me old bean, seem to be going the wrong way I'm afraid. Really don't want to make a fuss but if you could see you way to turning round when it's not too inconvenient...be awfully obliged "

Now wouldn't that be better?

Back on topic....this might actually be a good thing. My current satnav has an American lady telling me where to go but then she completely fails to be able pronounce English place names let alone Welsh ones. Driving around in Wales is hilarious seeing how she mangles the directions.

Now suppose we end up with a European satnav system. We'd either have some French person giving us all the wrong directions because they hate the British (something to do with a chap called Nelson sinking all their ships a while back) - or we'd have some German authoritarian shouting "Achtung, dumpkoffen" whenever we miss a turning

Much better to have a rather polite chap giving directions in proper English..."I say old chap, if you wouldn't mind awfully taking the next left, that little road by the Mucky Duck, there's a rather nice pond to see if you go that way."

And if you take the wrong turn you'd get something like..."Excuse me old bean, seem to be going the wrong way I'm afraid. Really don't want to make a fuss but if you could see you way to turning round when it's not too inconvenient...be awfully obliged "

Now wouldn't that be better?

There’s one for kickstarter! I’d like Jeeves to do mine. Although the lady’s voice in my ML is really rather posh. The sat navs rubbish, it constantly says off route and stops working. I paid the exorbitant update fee the garage wanted and it’s still rubbish so now I use 2 sat navs.... and still get lost :oops: Will millions of pounds on a new system fix that?!

OK - Don't believe all the 'fake news'!

We (UK) commenced working on the EU Satellite GPS system quite a few years ago - So far, we (UK and France) have launched more than 30 new GPS enabled satellites (they also have communication roles as well as terrain and sub-surface mapping functions). The USA system is slowly but surely failing and will reach end of operational life sometime in the next 15 years (but become 'useless' well before that).

As to the military standpoint - The USA hold 'total control' over their system and can, at will, put in an 'offset' which will move the GPS coordinates of any receiver by more than 100 miles. This actually took place for real during one of the initial Gulf War joint forces attacks causing us (and other joint forces) to 'pull' our missiles as they were going way off target (they use / were using GPS targeting control). The USA only informed the other 'friendly forces' after the attack and only then because they were asked to assist in tracing the 'fault'.

So, in summary, if we are to continue using GPS systems for the foreseable future, both civil and military, we need to put in place a new system that is not solely controlled by the USA. The 'fly in the ointment', is that the EU have 'paid' more than 50% of the current cost and therefore we (UK) will not 'own' the system once fully operational.

How do I know this? I worked alongside that project for the last 10 years before my retirement.

:popcorn:

I didn't work along side any one but above is correct and widly available knowledge.

I wold sooner a new gps system than hs2, what ever they spend money on will end up way over budget and probably be out dated by the time it comes on stream, by they I mean which ever bunch of fuckwits are in charge at the time because they are all as useless as each other.

I didn't work along side any one but above is correct and widly available knowledge.

I wold sooner a new gps system than hs2, what ever they spend money on will end up way over budget and probably be out dated by the time it comes on stream, by they I mean which ever bunch of f**k are in charge at the time because they are all as useless as each other.

Exactly! I mean who really wants to get to Birmingham quicker? Although can see advantages for getting away from Birmingham.

The USA system is slowly but surely failing and will reach end of operational life sometime in the next 15 years (but become 'useless' well before that).

you're a little behind the times. The Americans launched a full complement of satellites as an interim block which are designed to keep GPS operational into the next decade and a whole new class of satellites began launching this year with a further block in the works for the mid 2020s.

WTF do you need GPS on a motor bike for . Just ride the dam thing and when you get to last few miles on your gas you fill up and then where are we .. that was a fantastic ride now late see where that roads goes . Don't need some gps turn left turn right crap ...

As.for the remoners who ride bikes think next time you have an accident and your rushed to the nearest NHS hospital that treats you think !! thank God we left the EU !! AS the EU wants to do away with NHS and make us pay priveat hospitals. So paying out more money just to keep you healthy ..

And what the remoners forget Britain survived before the EU and WILL survive AFTER the EU...

The EU is coming to a crushing.end as number of other countries are just waiting for Britain to leave then they are going to do there own exit ...

The MPs and the EMPs want the EU to remaine as its a GRAVEY TRAIN JOBS FOR THE BOYS scam take that dick junker who does all his work before 12pm as by time it gets to 1pm he is pissed out of his skull drunk .

Do you know the very 1st head of the EU was a member of the NAZI PARTY .. the Third Reich got control or Europe after all .EU is the forth Reich...

WTF do you need GPS on a motor bike for . Just ride the dam thing and when you get to last few miles on your gas you fill up and then where are we .. that was a fantastic ride now late see where that roads goes . Don't need some gps turn left turn right crap ...

Fundamentally hate having my phone stuck on my bike and fully endorse the “let’s see where that road goes method” but as someone who should get sat nav on prescription I couldn’t survive without it. I was using your aforementioned let’s see where it goes method on a test ride a couple of weeks ago and had the usual “it’ll come out somewhere” thought before the slow and painful dawning I was in Wales and no it won’t necessarily come out anywhere in fact in was looking decidedly unpopulated and unsigned. My hours test ride ended up at two hours and thank god for sat nav. Would have been in trouble without it, didn’t have a clue how much fuel they’d put in and there were no petrol stations either!

Back on topic- I still fail to grasp how we can’t have access to something we’ve paid for unless it’s a possessions 9/10s of the law nonsense.

Back on topic- I still fail to grasp how we can’t have access to something we’ve paid for unless it’s a possessions 9/10s of the law nonsense.

Michel Barnier

That's fine if you are not going somewhere specific, but if you are doing the TMBF 2018 challenge for instance, then a SatNav is very useful in guiding you to the correct places.

As.for the remoners who ride bikes think next time you have an accident and your rushed to the nearest NHS hospital that treats you think !! thank God we left the EU !! AS the EU wants to do away with NHS and make us pay priveat hospitals. So paying out more money just to keep you healthy ..

“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet” Abraham Lincoln 1876