Changing my oil, do I need a stand thingy

Muttly

Hello, i’m Ready to change the oil on my bike, I do not have a centre stand. Do I need to buy a device/stand thing or can I manage without?

You can easily manage without. 🙄

Block and tackle to the garage roof beam and rope from the hook to the side frame. Works for me! :thumb:

To do an oil change on a 125 ? 😨

I assumed that was tongue in cheek.

[mention]fastbob[/mention] I gather I can manage without but might be easier with. As it is if the manual arrived before the stand I shall try without.

That was serious :angel12: I do use this method (as I don't have a main stand) but I did develop it for t'Rocket (and now t'Fatboy) although it will work on lighter / smaller bikes. Why make life difficult? 8-)

As to a 125 - Just lean it against a lamppost and tie it to it!

:popcorn:

@fastbob I gather I can manage without but might be easier with. As it is if the manual arrived before the stand I shall try without.

Sorry , what was tongue in cheek ? Basin under bike , undo plug , drain oil, hold bars and move the bike upright, Dain the last bit of oil , put the plug back in , get a measuring jug and pour in the correct amount of oil . Done . Do you need two stands to drain the oil ? No.

Block and tackle to the garage roof beam and rope from the hook to the side frame. Works for me! :thumb:

This advice is dangerous for people who live in new-build homes. Even the spiders in my garage don't trust the load-bearing capacity of my garage beams for their webs! :mrgreen:

@fastbob I gather I can manage without but might be easier with. As it is if the manual arrived before the stand I shall try without.

Sorry , what was tongue in cheek ? Basin under bike , undo plug , drain oil, hold bars and move the bike upright, Dain the last bit of oil , put the plug back in , get a measuring jug and pour in the correct amount of oil . Done . Do you need two stands to drain the oil ? No.

It depends why the drain bolt is, on wether you need to even lift it upright. Mines in the corner of the case on the side where you'd drain it, so on the side stand the drain bolt is the lowest point :D .

This advice is dangerous for people who live in new-build homes. Even the spiders in my garage don't trust the load-bearing capacity of my garage beams for their webs! :mrgreen:

Just to bring the bike to an upright position Rodders, not lift it off the floor!

:roll:

I assumed the other comment about block and tackle was tongue in cheek. I appreciate your input and guidance. Cheers

It depends why the drain bolt is, on wether you need to even lift it upright. Mines in the corner of the case on the side where you'd drain it, so on the side stand the drain bolt is the lowest point :D .

Happy days !

Hello, i’m Ready to change the oil on my bike, I do not have a centre stand. Do I need to buy a device/stand thing or can I manage without?

make sure you know where the cat is

Three pages and for me this was the most useful takeaway :lol:

Edited by SometimesSansEngine

make sure you know where the cat is and get one of those magnet thingys for when you drop the sump plug into hot oil . Have fun .

Three pages and for me this was the most useful takeaway :lol:

Quite impressive when you consider that the entire thread could have been answered with ... No.

Definitely the initial question could have been answered with no but the the thread has had more use for me than that. Including having a sense of there being somewhere I can come to ask questions and be helped if I mess it all up. Thanks for all of your inputs everyone. Still need to work out where to put the fresh oil but I will work that out when I have the fairing off to change the oil.

My manual arrived today and does not cover my bike, I'll have a better look and see if one of the engines is 'pretty much the same as mine apart from the EFI' and go from there.

Definitely the initial question could have been answered with no but the the thread has had more use for me than that. Including having a sense of there being somewhere I can come to ask questions and be helped if I mess it all up. Thanks for all of your inputs everyone. Still need to work out where to put the fresh oil but I will work that out when I have the fairing off to change the oil.

My manual arrived today and does not cover my bike, I'll have a better look and see if one of the engines is 'pretty much the same as mine apart from the EFI' and go from there.

what bike is it ?

Is this the Lexmoto? because this has been annoying me looking at pictures UNTIL I searched oil filler cap and I got this

Now this did not look like I was expecting.Screenshot_20180829-224515.thumb.png.ea4ee5ebc2e4a8039d8e66a8bf182bb4.png

Now I would expect the oil in to be located around this area

Screenshot_20180829-224726.thumb.jpg.984658f8440a5f944da70c7c5ce488e7.jpg

Do you have anything that looks like the top picture in the area highlighted in the second? :scratch:

It’s for the lexmoto falcon. Thanks for looking. That cap sits on the oil fliter thimble thing I think. I will photograph the bike later but there is not something obviously oil in your drawn on pic. There is something with a wire attached there.

I will get back to you.

There seem to be two styles of upright Lexmoto engine but the oil filler caps are where you would expect them to be on most bikes I.e. Just above the clutch.

wp_ss_20180830_0005.thumb.png.78d4fa9f546738a26fadacc9e3e76c55.png

wp_ss_20180830_0004.thumb.png.1c8825dcdbf9f99e59632c2457faa0c1.png

wp_ss_20180830_0003.thumb.png.24210a3fa24ac7bf0cb51deefd98ac1e.png

wp_ss_20180830_0002.thumb.png.19f20fbc8ac1bf1bf43a4139d8f70693.png