Swapping my F700GS for something lighter?

Arwen

Right... first off, I'm not completely sold on the idea of changing bikes, but I'm open to trying some others to see if I "should". I'm basically looking for advice/opinions/ideas on what to do next.

I've had the BMW for a year now, it is the factory lowered version, with the lowered seat as well. Even then, I can only get the ball of one foot on the ground at a time (or both big toes...). This is fine on roads I know, and so long as there is not a long wait at junctions in strong winds.

However more and more I am finding I am struggling with the weight of it when there is a decent cross wind when waiting at lights. Or if there is even a slight incline/decline/odd camber. I've dropped it twice now, once in my own garage, and the other when parking on a cobbled street.

I find I am making more and more excuses to take the MSX out rather than the BMW these days, purely cause it is so much easier for me to manually move around if need be. Which seems a shame as I do really enjoy riding the BMW, but the thought of having to stop on "problem" surfaces for me is putting me off big time.

I've got a few days off work at the end of September, when I'm hoping the weather will still be fine. My plan is to take the BMW out and basically practise horrible roads to see if I've just got a mental block with them that I can get over quickly.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've came to the conclusion that I'd rather swap the bike than be put off riding it any more, so if I can't get used to problem surfaces with the bmw, anyone got any suggestions for other bikes to try? Open to pretty much any style apart from sporty plastic clad bikes. I like them naked :lol:

Thanks for making it to the end of my ramble... :thumb:

MT-07 was on my list before I bought the BMW. Sitting on it in the shops I felt it was "top heavy" due to the fuel tank being rather high. Think I may go try it again though... They are nice bikes!

KTM... I really like them. The biggest put off for me is the local dealer is... questionable at the best of times. Not making an allegation here, but lets just say a number of nice KTM's seem to go missing after they have been in for work there.

I'm actually rather interesting in the Honda Neo Sport range. I may take the little 300 out for a spin and see what I think. I don't really need a powerful bike, I never ride two up and rarely carry more than a rucksack worth of stuff.

however, back to my current bike. I've been reading up on suspension settings... would making the rear suspension very soft make much of a difference to the handling?

If that's the detuned 800 you have there, then my dad has one at his place in Wales.

It's quite a light bike as adventure bikes go, but a bit awkward I found. It's useful that I'm tall as I overcome the issues moving it around but I wouldn't like to leave my wife whose 5ft 7 to shift it. I also thought it was good for mooching around little quiet Welsh towns but open it up and it doesn't have much shove.

I think the MT-07 is a good choice as it's lighter, it feels a lot more fruity, and it was nice and low. It's very toy like and can be handled with ease. There's a reason they sell like hot cakes!

Other alternatives are the ER6F which felt quite small to me, but pulls better than the F700GS. It depends on your height and riding preferences.

Could you look at getting the seat remoulded to make it lower? I’m sure there will be someone near you that you could go and talk to.

You could then look on eBay for a used original seat and offer both when/if you sell in the sell future.

The seat is already pretty thin on the padding... :crybaby:

Edit: Picture... you can see that there is only about 1"of padding at the front of the seat currently :-(

IMG_20170905_174832.thumb.jpg.10f4f8cb6ef9ef4a10bef0e443aa37e0.jpg

[mention]Mr Fro[/mention] and [mention]Grumpy Old Git[/mention] thanks for the offer/sugestion guys. Already got my wee 125 though. And it is going no where! :mrgreen:

Although I could be tempted with this one.... :lol:

download_20180721_132656.thumb.jpg.21a4fb475b9643fa6aff331a3f208ceb.jpg

[mention]Fozzie[/mention] Yea it is indeed the detuned 800. It's plenty powerful enough for me. I don't enjoy going quick, bimbling around the countryside is way more my style. Which is why I think I would consider going down to a lower powered bike.

It is light as far as adventure bikes go, however I have stupidly short legs... (27"ish inseem) which is why I'm struggling with it I think. If I am standing beside it, if I full lock the bars I can't really reach the grip that is opposite/further from me. Which means I can't really operate the clutch, or the front brake when moving it turning it while walking with it (depending which side I am on). So I move it as much as possible when riding. My slow control when on the bike is pretty good (excellent if I was to big myself up more :oops: ) which helps, however if I am on a cambered road I then come across the issue of stopping where I'd like to be, but being unable to reach the ground... and then I drop it :-/ I guess this is more about learning too judge the distant to the road better!

[mention]Topper[/mention] [mention]JRH[/mention] Nice image :wink: I can barely walk in heels like that never mind ride a bike though! :lol:

Wonder if you could fit smaller wheels??

Gearing and Speedo would need attention but might be an option especially for winter you could have winter tyres and summer tyres.

Gearing and Speedo would need attention but might be an option especially for winter you could have winter tyres and summer tyres.

Hmm... That's not a bad idea. Might have a good Google of that !

Or what about a ‘big’ scooter like the burgman 400 or 650. The Yamaha Xmax 400, or for me the Tmax, which is a 530. All low seat and from what you’ve said about bimbling around I think they might just fit the bill.

It’s worth going for a test ride on each at least I’d say.

Hmm... That's not a bad idea. Might have a good Google of that !

It would look like a crazy supermoto!

What size wheels does it have as standard??

If you could fit 17inch wheels your choice of tyres would be greater too.

Kawasaki Ninja 400.

Has the same power as the CBR500s but has to be worked harder. But the parallel twin in it is very strong and is perfectly happy at slower speeds.

It's also a very small bike, despite looking larger than it is. And its a sports bike in appearance only, but more alike a street bike to ride so it comes with great looks and ease.

The front wheel on the F700 is currently a 19", the rear is 17. I'm finding a lot of posts online about changing them to the spoked wheels of the F800gs, but not finding anything about smaller wheels :? Still, that may be an option...

[mention]fullscreenaging[/mention] - Big scooter? No thanks... Yes they are really useful, they are simply not for me though.

[mention]Tango[/mention] I do like them... I seem to like a lot of triumphs to be fair! :lol: I may pay a visit to a triumph dealer at some point and see what they have.

[mention]Hoggs[/mention] Just checked... seat height is giant on that! :lol:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e12e76e8efe090fdc21ebf98bafac3e7.jpg

[mention]Joeman[/mention] I'd totally have one of those. I'm not sure if I am ready to take one on a test ride though. Both for fear of dropping it on the cylinder heads, and for having to spend all that money when I realise I need one :D

This link is totally not helping me rationalise this option...

[mention]Fozzie[/mention] Nice bike, but too much plastic for me.