making wheel spacers

hi all...i need to make a wheel spacer for a project im doing....

i was thinking of using aluminium tube and cutting using a mitre block....

looking online at tubing and they all state outside diameter...i want 25mm id so thats confusing me...

if i find a tube with 28mm od and a 3mm wall with that give me the 25mm id i need...

or should i find an engineering shop to make them for me....

cheers all

Wall thickness of 3mm sounds a bit thin for a wheel spacer especially out of ally?

Depends if it is a "spacer" or a "sleeve". If it is a spacer, then I agree, 3mm sounds too thin. But there again, we don't know what it's for.....

Wall thickness of 3mm sounds a bit thin for a wheel spacer especially out of ally?

I would also say 3mm is too thin. 1.5mm (post above) definitely too thin

Best way is to get an engineering shop to machine to size out of mild steel.

(all the specares I have sen are steel).

Anyone with a lathe can turn these in stainless for you . I definitely wouldn't use aluminium for a wheel spacer .

Edited by fastbob

measure the inner diameter of the bearing dust seals for external diameter of spacer

:stupid:

Measure inner diameter of dust seals for the OD of the spacer and measure the OD of the spindle for the ID of the spacers

You need to do the maths again 28mm minus 3 minus 3 is 22mm

However, as it is Alloy and liable to 'squash', then you would need to take the maleability into the equation: OD - (2x thickness) x~ (I don't have the correct symbol for the 'squish' factor) = ID :?

cheers all.....my old man used to have a lathe....im actually thinking of getting one..i have used one but that was about 35yrs ago in college...

what could possibly go wrong...

cheers all

Your hair could get caught it it , this happened to girl I knew . I've never been comfortable around wood and metal working machines. Band saws give me the fear just thinking about them .

cheers all.....my old man used to have a lathe....im actually thinking of getting one..i have used one but that was about 35yrs ago in college...

what could possibly go wrong...

cheers all

Your hair could get caught it it , this happened to girl I knew . I've never been comfortable around wood and metal working machines. Band saws give me the fear just thinking about them .

nope common thing on a lathe is ...

chuck key embedding itself in the wall or ceiling where you forget to remove it

well being bald means i dont have to worry about that...

well being bald means i dont have to worry about that...

Ok well make sure you tuck your tie in then 👔😉

I would say be very careful when considering using aluminium in your project. The strength of aluminium is very low compared to steel but there is another insidious problem with using aluminium if it is contact with other metals.

Aluminium is very reactive and when in contact with a dissimilar metal you might get galvanic action eating the aluminium away and in particular if there is any rubbing of the surface of the aluminium its protective oxide coating will be rubbed off accelerating this effect.

Alminium is one of those metals that is used as a sacrificial anode, it is eaten rapidly away by the galvanic action to reduce corrosion in the adjacent part.

Whatever you do with a project try to avoid using dissimilar metals for adjacent parts.