Discuss.......

Tango

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] You should have been in Leamington Spa on Wednesday. The tour of Britain day 4 leg finished here so the roads were full of tour busses support vehicles and of course cyclists. Some of the roads in the town centre were closed until 6:00pm.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/2018/09/05/andre-greipel-sprints-to-second-victory-of-the-2018-ovo-energy-tour-of-britain-in-royal-leamington-spa/

[mention]JRH[/mention] Brrrr I dinna like it!

I was stuck behind 3 guys for quite some distance who deliberately spread themselves across the road to stop you overtaking which I understand on some parts but even on the clear straights they positioned themselves in a way that made it dangerous to pass. I considered a quick beep of the horn but knew it would be fruitless and then I’d be annoyed so I just waited.

Only having recently parted ranks with the Lycra brigade myself (and intending to return when the mood takes me) it was interesting to look at it from the outside and this’ll likely set the cat amongst the pigeons but I was struck by how many aggressive middle aged men there were, if I had to say if overall they were enjoying themselves I’d say no, they look angry. I wondered if they are suffering with hormone problems.

@JRH Brrrr I dinna like it!

I was stuck behind 3 guys for quite some distance who deliberately spread themselves across the road to stop you overtaking which I understand on some parts but even on the clear straights they positioned themselves in a way that made it dangerous to pass. I considered a quick beep of the horn but knew it would be fruitless and then I’d be annoyed so I just waited.

Only having recently parted ranks with the Lycra brigade myself (and intending to return when the mood takes me) it was interesting to look at it from the outside and this’ll likely set the cat amongst the pigeons but I was struck by how many aggressive middle aged men there were, if I had to say if overall they were enjoying themselves I’d say no, they look angry. I wondered if they are suffering with hormone problems.

I'm not a cyclist, and not one to defend them for anything either, but it sounds as though these guys were riding 2/3 abreast? ie. :3some: That's exactly how they're meant to ride - it's easier, and safer, to overtake 2/3 cyclists next to one another than 3 that are riding end-to-end.

I'm not a cyclist, and not one to defend them for anything either, but it sounds as though these guys were riding 2/3 abreast? ie. :3some: That's exactly how they're meant to ride - it's easier, and safer, to overtake 2/3 cyclists next to one another than 3 that are riding end-to-end.

Rubbish ... depends what road your on . On a road that’s not that wide and they are riding 3 a breast ... they deserve Lucille.

Depends on the road. The width of the road, length of the straights etc

Lots of the popular roads here have no central road markings, it’s too narrow. They were straddling the width of the road to the extent no-one could safely pass, they knew what they were doing. It’s a move designed to keep traffic behind them and the road ahead of them clear so they don’t have to slow at any point. The majority of Lycra cyclists are obsessed with times and compete obsessively to achieve a better ranking on Strava segment. A quick glance at the queue behind them should have given them a clue what their next move should be!

I regularly see crazy cyclist behaviour but then Cheddar Gorge is one of their top picks.

A couple of weeks ago I turned up a single track (in the car) and a lorry was on coming, squeezing its way through and hedged either side. I started to reverse. A cyclist appeared behind me desperate to squeeze by, I stopped. We all sat there for a while listening to him setting the parking sensors off whilst he refused to come to the conclusion he couldn’t get passed. So I put the cars reverse lights back on to try help him realise he had to back up. He moved back a bit so did I and then he stopped AGAIN looking hopefully that the 2 metres movement may have shrunk the lorry. I’m a patient person but by now his timings would have been wrecked, his obsessive expression and refusal to consider others was beginning to irk. Eventually we reverse back down to the crossroads and the lorry passes. I start to pull away and the cyclist starts to pull around the car (no doubt to perform the above blocking method) and suddenly starts shouting “Idiot idiot what are you doing idiot” I think because I being the vehicle in front had started to pull away and not remained stationary to allow him in front! I had my children in the car so words needed to be carefully chosen, I put the window down and said in a voice that frightenly reminded me of Margaret Thatcher “Mind your manners you silly little man” he had no reply and left sharpish- in front of me!

Anyhoo it’s annoying because most cyclists are perfectly decent road users. It’s the Strava boys n gals that can’t control themselves who spoil it.

[mention]Six30[/mention] I’m missing out, I don’t know Lucille?

Rubbish ... depends what road your on . On a road that’s not that wide and they are riding 3 a breast ... they deserve Lucille.

Yeah fair point if it's a narrow road, but if it's a regular width road I'd rather pass 2/3 next to each other than a chain of them.

I was struck by how many aggressive middle aged men there were, if I had to say if overall they were enjoying themselves I’d say no, they look angry. I wondered if they are suffering with hormone problems.

I wonder if this is the reason they keep getting squished by lorries / buses etc

They think their aggression makes them invincible

A bit like a snappy chihuahua that thinks it owns the world only to be eaten by a Rottie.

I was struck by how many aggressive middle aged men there were, if I had to say if overall they were enjoying themselves I’d say no, they look angry. I wondered if they are suffering with hormone problems.

I wonder if this is the reason they keep getting squished by lorries / buses etc

They think their aggression makes them invincible

A bit like a snappy chihuahua that thinks it owns the world only to be eaten by a Rottie.

Some of the riding is definitely chihuahua driven! I’ve watched cycling friends careering downhill round blind bends barely (and sometime not) on their side of the road at speeds they have no hope of stopping at. They’ve survived more by luck than judgement and when the rides over and fervours gone they still see it as a risk worth taking to get the time they want. Even if they badly injure themselves they just think it’s bad luck. Utter madness.

I’ve watched cycling friends careering downhill round blind bends barely (and sometime not) on their side of the road at speeds they have no hope of stopping at. They’ve survived more by luck than judgement and when the rides over and fervours gone they still see it as a risk worth taking to get the time they want. Even if they badly injure themselves they just think it’s bad luck. Utter madness.

To be fair, sounds like many motorcyclists I've come across.....