Help would you stick or swap

Richard1985

Hi ppl I need some advice as the situation is I've got a Suzuki intruder m800 which I have came off a few months ago and still don't feel 100% confident with. Also the bike I was considering replacing it with is a Honda nc750x dct and I chose this one after a few test rides as I thought it was more accommodating to my 6"4 frame and being automatic it was one less thing to think about whilst riding thanks in advance for your opinions

Hi ppl I need some advice as the situation is I've got a Suzuki intruder m800 which I have came off a few months ago and still don't feel 100% confident with. Also the bike I was considering replacing it with is a Honda nc750x dct and I chose this one after a few test rides as I thought it was more accommodating to my 6"4 frame and being automatic it was one less thing to think about whilst riding thanks in advance for your opinions

...I really believe that if you think that having to change gear is a distraction, then you are not yet ready for a larger bike. You need to consolidate your experience on some thing a bit smaller and lighter. Not being nasty, not having a go but just trying to offer a bit of advice. But don't let this put you off - persevere and you'll get there in the end. Good luck.

It's fine to change bike if you are not feeling comfty on it.

Try test ride few more bikes though. For your confidence steering and how the bike reacts are more important then gears.

I'd recomend to test ride Yamaha NT09 Tracer and XSR 900 then you decide.

Have you thought of getting a conventional motorcycle with a conventional gear lever instead of one with forward controls . I may well be wrong but that lever looks awkward to operate to me .

1853875187_wp_ss_20180909_0002(2).thumb.png.ae65bf81defd4250cd5849bc5cf28f25.png

First the reason I'm considering the nc750x is like I said I'm 6"4 of which 3/5 is leg length and second is that I think the adventure ish style is more suited to how I ride more so than the cruiser style of the intruder as with thinking about gears I have only riding geared for a total of 4 months as I was doing an enhanced rider and came in to a bend slightly too fast for the bike and in all honesty my skill set at the time which meant I came off and it led to 9 weeks off the bike with a broken wrist. The only reason that I think about the gears is so I know what gear im in at all times also unlike most modern bikes my intruder doesn't have a gear indicator on it and before anyone says it no I don't have an after market one on either but if I keep it I will get one put on

Gear indicators are only good for not going for that imaginary 7th gear .... sounds to me you just need to get back out and build your confidence back up , obviously on a bike you feel comfortable on .... with gears :thumb:

Gear indicators are only good for not going for that imaginary 7th gear .... sounds to me you just need to get back out and build your confidence back up , obviously on a bike you feel comfortable on .... with gears :thumb:

Agree... the best gear indicators are the ones on each side of your head....

I'd recomend to test ride Yamaha MT09 Tracer and XSR 900 then you decide.

Both great bikes but neither are suited to a nervous rider IMO. Easy to ride but very lively and exciting.

Gear indicators aren't needed, none of my bikes have one. You can tell if the bike is happy by the feel of it. You should never be riding around on a twisty road with the engine spinning low in the rev range anyway.

I have a gear indicator but rarely look at it, relying more on engine feel. Never allow engine to labour in too high a gear. You probably won't red line on normal road conditions except maybe in 1st but my Tiger will do over 60 in 1st and still not hit the red line. But it does sound good though. Keeping the revs up allow you more control through the corners - one of the things I learnt on the Ron Haslam race training.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me like the lack of confidence talking which is blaming the gears rather than the gears being a true issue.

As others have mentioned you possibly just need to ride out on a few (geared) bikes and find something that doesnt make you uneasy. So the short answer would be yes, swap, BUT not without gears :P

Maybe go for an informal ride out with a training academy? Im sure a few decent ones will accommodate people who have had a fall and just need a confidence builder with someone who is a confident rider.

Its a bit like horses I guess, you fall off and it makes riding a it fear inducing for a while (and I fell off a lot as I insisted on the tricky ones!) but the best thing to do is get on, big deep breaths and take your time. Perhaps think back to when you first ever rode bikes - how you stick to easy routes and/or quiet routes (or times) to get better? maybe you need to do that?

I have a gear indicator on the Z, but as someone already said............... just so i know there are no more gears left :D :D :D :D

bet it doesn't stop you looking for more though :lol: :lol:

Very true Stu............. they are amazing bikes. Frightens me to death some times................. but i likey :thumb: :thumb:

I tested an NC750X DCT a few months ago and thought it was great fun. to call it an automatic isn't exactly fair as you can bypass the automatic.. and change gears manually. but you use a control on the handlebars rather than your foot. The automatic function is all about fuel economy.. that is all its for. Im 6'5. 6'7 in my boots and I found it a great fit, the bike is rather larger in real life than you would guess from photos. I reckon its perfectly suited for what I do, which is pootling around during the year and a week abroad every September. I was so impressed by the way the DCT works... Im also considering road testing the new Africa Twin with DCT. Its not just a commuter.. it would also make a great tourer. just add full luggage from you manufacturer of choice... fill the under-seat tank. use the fake 'tank' to store anything you need close to hand and off you trot.. feeling smug with your 80mpg 750.

So.. the DCT is all about saving fuel and money which makes for a very good commuter. and can easily be bypassed, when you want to 'play'. Its different.. but Honda seems to have made a very good job of it, and have found it has been popular to the extent its going to be optional across the range. (I believe).

Its most definitely not a scooter masquerading as a motorcycle.

Honda also have the dct gear box in the vfr1200 now and its a shaft drive to boot but alas too much on the insurance for me also as [mention]Gerontious[/mention] says it is very frugal and as it is a bike I use everyday in Pembrokeshire I ofton currently fill the tank 2 times a week

It may be the forward pegs on the VN that are the problem. ....... :wink:

Anyway.....it's not for us to tell you what to do.....you've got to do what you think is right. ......and, if you do decide to change, buy the bike that you're most comfortable with...... :wink:

• 2 months later...

Hey guys just an update I test rode the Africa twin manual and dct also tried the vstrom 650 and the tiger 800 xcx but in the end I went with the nc750x dct as I got a good deal on it nearly new with 700 miles Honda heated grips and a Honda top box for 5800

Hey guys just an update I test rode the Africa twin manual and dct also tried the vstrom 650 and the tiger 800 xcx but in the end I went with the nc750x dct as I got a good deal on it nearly new with 700 miles Honda heated grips and a Honda top box for 5800

Two DCT owners on the forum. :mrgreen:

great fun.. glad you paid no attention to the nay sayers. it always amuses me that people who haven't tried something are always so quick to say you shouldn't try it either. :up: