Lack of confidence

Adamjf82

One contributor to cornering confidence is a feeling of being in control and having fun.

There are two ways of initiating the cornering, one is to try to steer round the corner, the other is to use opposite steering. If you are not using this method I recommend trying it, it makes cornering more fun and controllable.

Try this, while riding in a straight line in an empty road with plenty of space or on an empty car park simply apply forward pressure to the right grip, the bike will instantly lean and initiate a corner, push back the other grip to bring the bike back up.

With practice you will develop complete control and the ability to instantly initiate a corner, and to be in complete control throughout the corner. Make sure you have plenty of room when you try this.

I know most riders will be doing this, and you may already be, but if you have not yet discovered this way of initiating and controlling the bike during cornering you may find it useful. And its great fun.

As he's not been n since feb and this post was from last year I would guess hes either got the hang of it or gave up.....

• 4 weeks later...

Check out YouTube channels like Fast Eddie and Roadcraft Nottingham on Youtube [mention]Mrbubba[/mention], really good content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FFFneMi9GwRHUsuBjM0jA

https://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham

Fast Eddie is growing a following fast mainly because he explains and demonstrates really well, and whilst he does some videos on things like 'how to get your knee down' he's also really big on telling you just do it for fun (eg in a car park or on a track) but that it's dumb to do it on the road where all you need to do is get your head and upper body right.

I've also started reading Total Control by Lee Parks which I've only skim read a few sections before returning to the start but has some really useful bits on vision and steering.

oops lol

Well maybe others will have a laugh :)

I'm a new rider (less than a week) and this thread has been a good read. I shall look at some YouTube videos of counter steering

One more thing to say on this - if you've ridden your bike above 20mph then trust me you have counter steered. What you can do though is fight it. Definitely try a few things like pushing a bar away from you on a quiet straight bit of road and seeing what happens to prove it to yourself.

Once you head turn through a corner towards the exit (not just move your eyes, point your chin) and push the bars you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I think that lack of confidence is more about not relaxing, overthinking and being over critical. So long you get around a corner without falling off, hitting the verge or crossing the white line, that was a successful corner taken.

It is with practice that nice lines through corners, as advocated by the IAM and advanced driving are consistently achievable. Even then, dirt on the road, a bad camber, a pothole or broken road surface mean that is not always possible nor advisable.

Tyre pressure and condition effects cornering. If corners don't feel right check your tyres.

It is far more important to be able to see as far around the corner and watch for hazards than it is to go quickly.

Check out YouTube channels like Fast Eddie and Roadcraft Nottingham on Youtube @Mrbubba, really good content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FFFneMi9GwRHUsuBjM0jA

https://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham

Fast Eddie is growing a following fast mainly because he explains and demonstrates really well, and whilst he does some videos on things like 'how to get your knee down' he's also really big on telling you just do it for fun (eg in a car park or on a track) but that it's dumb to do it on the road where all you need to do is get your head and upper body right.

I've also started reading Total Control by Lee Parks which I've only skim read a few sections before returning to the start but has some really useful bits on vision and steering.

Thanks for that. Fast Eddie has given me a lot to think about and practice with a week and a half to go until my Mod1. Very useful stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe I should add something

What is happening when we find we have no confidence or more importantly when we have confidence and suddenly it evaporates.

I believe it is due to fear of possible failure that causes this, and this fear is caused by realisation that we may not have the ability to make it safely round.

This is often caused by excessive speed entering the corner which looks ok on approach but we find the road surface is not as expected or the chosen line is occupied or the corner is tighter than expected.

It is difficult to shed too much speed while negotiating a corner and it is this that causes most confidence issues.

My approach is this

Shed speed on approach so it feels that I have plenty of latitude to speed up in the corner. This is critical to not being caught out while committed to the manouver.

Assess the corner as I commit to it choosing the line as I enter and I have plenty of latitude to alter that line if I am forced to.

Having seen the entire corner I choose the point to accelerate typically just before the apex.

accelerate out of the corner and back up to speed.

This method reduces risk and increases confidence. The key to it is to shed more speed before entering the corner than would seem necessary but many times it turns out to be prudent to have done so.

• 2 weeks later...