ER5 Engine Swap / Build

How do you hold the gasket paper in place while you are profiling it?

I’ve been looking at the price of some of the Gaskets I need for the Trophy and it’s made my wallet quiver.

Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then , with the cover still in place,I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.

Edited by fastbob

I’ve been looking at the price of some of the Gaskets I need for the Trophy and it’s made my wallet quiver.

Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.

Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a go when I’m ready - the best place to buy decent gasket paper is?

Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.

Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a go when I’m ready - the best place to buy decent gasket paper is?

I just buy it off eBay , its called Flexoid

A small setback , one of the cam shaft journal bolts pulled the thread clean out before reaching the torque setting ( 12 inch pounds ) so I'm going to have to Helicoil it . Not a problem in itself but I wish it wasn't in such an important place . I think I'll fit a manual cam chain tensioner later on because the one in it seems to require a bit of "help"

I've replaced all the M7 rocker cover threads, in the cam caps, on my GSX race engine. Not a difficult job, but serious if it goes wrong. I'm sure you'll cope mate.

Yeah, I know what you mean , I did all the M7 rocker cover threads in my previous GSXR 1100 L . Would you recommend a hand drill to enlarge the hole prior to tapping ? I can't remember what I did last time . By the way , I've just remembered what happened when I had the cam shafts out on that bike . Nearly every one of the bolts snapped when they were un screwed . In every case it was just under the bolt head so there was plenty of shaft remaining that screwed out with finger pressure . I reckon some heavy handed" mechanic " had used foot pounds instead of inch pounds !

Electric pillar drill and a hand held vice to make sure it was exactly 90 degrees.

Hmm, I don't have access to a pillar drill and I don't really want to take the head off again . I reckon I should be ok , after all I'm only enlarging an existing hole . Anyway, apart from this its finished.

1775788575_WP_20180915_01_33_20_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.976814f58b4c99c79119580aab8ceb96.jpg

Well I might have spent a few quid on top of the original £50 but I think I've done alright. Some bike breakers are obviously a lot greedier than others. Look at this FFS !

wp_ss_20180915_0001.thumb.png.285f115860703bbaf7cdb24d052ce268.png

Electric pillar drill and a hand held vice to make sure it was exactly 90 degrees.

Ha ha ! What was I thinking, I don't need to drill it . My Helicoil kit just arrived and the drill just drops into the hole . Well it would wouldn't it if the old thread has pulled clean out ? So no need to drill at all . Happy days.

WP_20180915_10_30_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.eb5d8288c89c25b374d812177322bcee.jpg

We'll I did the thread repair and the bolt tightened to the prescribed 12 inch pounds but other bolt on the same cam cap gave way this time so I had to do that one as well . To remove the cap you have to remove three other cam cap bolts because of the upper chain guide. I know its not the end of the world if it goes wrong but this is nerve racking stuff , turning a little torque wrench and praying for the click Anyway all 16 bolt are now tightened to the correct torque , the tappets are set to optimum gap and I've bolted the lid on . Just waiting for some shiny new spark plugs and that's it .

Well I might have spent a few quid on top of the original £50 but I think I've done alright. Some bike breakers are obviously a lot greedier than others. Look at this FFS !

That is ridiculous! (And 4 times what I paid for my whole ER5 :lol:)

Engine is looking sweet, good job :thumb:

When I swap engines I'm going to have to keep the old starter motor. As its been playing up recently I decided to buy some new carbon brushes and solder them in myself . I also gave the commutator a clean up with fine wet and dry . As you can see in the picture the old brushes were just about worn down to nothing . Service kits are available but this only cost me a fiver.

WP_20180920_20_27_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.362abb464be4f294f5744ec84de33f20.jpg

Edited by fastbob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my manual cam chain tensioner to arrive . I've ordered a British made one rather than one of those coloured ones from China.

• 2 weeks later...

My cam chain tensioner arrived , it looks very robust but the finishing could be better. The mounting bolts were ridiculously short with only about 4 revolutions of thread protruding so they got replaced. So that's it now , the very last piece of the jigsaw is in place . All that remains is to swap the two engines . I think I'll wait until after my Speed Awareness Course because I'm going to need transport over to Warwick. I'll resume this thread with a few before , after and during pictures. I'll have to move the cooker to get it through my kitchen and into the lounge first .

WP_20181008_19_23_31_Pro.thumb.jpg.5248f266f3f300d4de1e65cd3c6ae7f3.jpg

My cam chain tensioner arrived , it looks very robust but the finishing could be better. The mounting bolts were ridiculously short with only about 4 revolutions of thread protruding so they got replaced. So that's it now , the very last piece of the jigsaw is in place . All that remains is to swap the two engines . I think I'll wait until after my Speed Awareness Course because I'm going to need transport over to Warwick. I'll resume this thread with a few before , after and during pictures. I'll have to move the cooker to get it through my kitchen and into the lounge first .

It's the wrong colour, you know you need to paint it now.

It's the wrong colour, you know you need to paint it now.

Hmmm , yeah I suppose so , I could have had a red blue or black anodised one but I decided to buy British. I reckon I'll leave it as it is so it stands out rather than blends in. Usual question, how's the leg ? Bloody hell ! I've just had an email from the supplier offering to refund half the price ! All I did was make a few honest comments similar to those above . They even apologised for the silly instructions that said " Remove the old tensioner and throw it at your neighbours Harley etc " Sellers must be shit scared of negative feedback.

Hmmm , yeah I suppose so , I could have had a red blue or black anodised one but I decided to buy British. I reckon I'll leave it as it is so it stands out rather than blends in. Usual question, how's the leg ? Bloody hell ! I've just had an email from the supplier offering to refund half the price ! All I did was make a few honest comments similar to those above . They even apologised for the silly instructions that said " Remove the old tensioner and throw it at your neighbours Harley etc " Sellers must be shit scared of negative feedback.

Usual answer... Slowly healing, getting to stage I can see improvements now so all good, next question is how much longer will I get away with working from home :lol:

Usual answer... Slowly healing, getting to stage I can see improvements now so all good, next question is how much longer will I get away with working from home :lol:

And the grass? :lol: