Not mine @smallfrowne
Rain has stopped play a bit today - currently chilling out having a nap trying to fix my calf muscle... which has taken a dislike to being on the GS for 300+ miles every day since Saturday....
Not mine @smallfrowne
So we had a rest day, which meant a 200+ mile round trip to France and back, with the fastest miles saved for the end of the day. Far too much food as usual, but with no time for cake it's wasn't the complete calorie disaster of Tuesday, from which we are still recovering.
Its fantastic.. "sublime" doesn't even come close. The entire area that we have at our disposal (excluding Luxembourg) is about 3,000 square miles, north and south of the River Mosel. Low Mountains, deep cut valleys. wide open plateau. Old volcanos.. many of which have eroded down to almost perfectly circular lakes. Tiny little villages.. and only a very few moderately sized towns and one small city. And most importantly (for us) its to all intents and purposes empty.. traffic is few and far between. Over the 5 days we saw 2 police cars and that was an extraordinarily high number compared to previous years. Not once were we stuck in traffic. No filtering skills required. The roads are 80% perfect.. the other 20% about equal to the second best roads here. So, many are velvet smooth and perfectly laid out for fast riding. Stopping places are common and normally come complete with a picnic area and a great view. Another biker who doesn't wave.. is an exception. Cars generally slow down and indicate 'right' as a signal for you to pass. Nobody.. not any restaurant or cafe or anything like that, raises even the slightest eyebrow when a load of bikers turn up and sit down. If all you want is a coffee.. or a beer, (they do truly fantastic alcohol free wheat beer) that is never a problem.. in fact nothing is a problem or too much trouble. Some signal "Biker Welcome" but many do not and they make you welcome anyway. More than happy to provide food.. even if the restaurant is to all intents and purposes closed, getting ready for a private party. As one place was. They still fed us.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests