Sticking clutch plates?

Justarn

Hey, sorry this is a bit long winded.

From the beginning, last year I had a Barnett spring clutch conversation and ebc heavy duty plates fitted.

Everything was fine up until a few weeks back when the clutch started binding and I was struggling to get neutral while she was running.

After lots of googling I pulled the clutch, turns out the wire clip that holds the rear two plates back had come out at one end and was hanging about between a steel and friction plate.

I refitted it, done an oil change with semi motul and it worked fine for about 50 miles.

Same then happened, binding clutch, I assumed it was the wire clip again so pulled the clutch cover.

The clip was fine but the plates are all glued together? I prized them apart refitted the clutch cover but it still hasn't fixed it and the plates keep sticking and make it hard to change through the lower gears?

I'm wondering if my eBay oil was fake?

I've since purchased some Castrol and my plan today/tomorrow is oil and filter change, clutch out, clean and rough up plates with brake cleaner , soak plates in fresh oil, and refit tomorrow...

Just wanted to share this headache, any tips?

Just like to add plates are all in the same order, I've done the clutch slave and master cylinders when I first fixed the clutch retaining wire.

I don't think you can adjust a hydraulic clutch wrong so I'm writing adjustment off.

Fake oil ? That's a new one on me . What you need is some kind of window in your clutch cover so you can see what's going on inside . 😁 ( sorry , couldn't resist ) On a more helpful note , I fitted an EBC SRK clutch with HD springs to my GSXR last year but earlier this year it started slipping . I sent photos to EBC who asked me to send it to them . Three days later I received a brand new clutch free of charge . EBC even paid my postage which considering that I bought the clutch from Demon Tweeks is a brilliant piece of customer service. Could be worth a try .

Edited by fastbob

I've seen quite a bit of dodgy service items sold via ebay, personally I only buy service kit from a known local source for this very reason. My hunch is that if the oil wasn't the right stuff then your plates will be contaminated and no matter what you do with them now they're never going to work right. I'd fit a new set at this stage. The fact that this began so soon after the oil change makes me suspect you're right about the provenance of the oil.

Joking apart, the plates haven't become gummed up with the sealant that you used on that DIY clutch window have they ? I agree with Megawatt , don't rough the plates up , that's the last thing you want to do on a dragging clutch . Have you measured and inspected the push piece/rod and bearing against manufactures specs ? Sorry I don't know the specifics of a Yam clutch but wear in these parts will cause clutch drag . If its hydraulic have you checked for air ?

Thanks guys, the window was only on a day and the sealant had cured for weeks lol...

I pulled it and they weren't stuck again which is odd.

I've cleaned and soaking the plates without ruffing them, oil filter is in. New retaining spring on the ready and manual on the page:-)

The push rod and ball bearing are in tolerance yes....

I think it's new plates if this don't work but they all look good. . No blueing and plenty of meat.

Maybe I will get a professional if I fail who knows...

Maybe I fitted something round the wrong way during replacement of that retaining spring I dunno, when I pulled em I either mixed up the last two during or they were in wrong. Hopefully that's my problem and it's my own stupidity haha.

Is there a seating washer that goes in first ? There is on my GSXR and it took me ages to work out which way up it goes . In the end I got it right but it was not the way round that my instinct was initially telling me . I'll have a look at some schematic drawings later today to see if I can shed any light .

Just checked a photo and it was fitted correctly by the garage.

Either I mixed it up upon cleaning or when I refitted last time eek.

Theres two yes, I haven't removed the rearward one tho I'm sure. I've checked the orientation of the second one ready for when it goes back...

The more I think about it I'm starting to think I messed things up when I done the retaining spring although it worked fine initially for 30 miles!?

Compared to my bike there's a lot of things that could go in upside down or in the wrong order . Don't know if this is exactly your model but I can see plenty of opportunities to get it wrong . This is where Haynes manuals excel over factory workshop manuals . Parts 4 to 9 are where I'd start looking . Plus , is the spring the right way up ?

wp_ss_20180729_0003.thumb.png.9d4cffd1459e6b3037b80f87caf4f840.png

Surely it would need to work within the bikes spec?

Ive used a high quality Castrol semi so hopefully this sorts it. The guys on the xjr forum recommended motul since then I've heard some bad stuff.

have you followed Barnetts oil recommendations

https://www.barnettclutches.com/service_center/default.aspx?faq_id=4

Tim , its a Barnett spring conversion ( from diaphragm ) but it is using EBC plates so EBC's oil recommendations would be the more relevant. Ironically it was Castrol Power One that I used with my EBC SRK clutch kit that slipped and burned . This is what EBC say but it sounds like bollox to me . It's as if they don't realise that a wet clutch runs in the same oil as the rest of the engine . ( taken from the instructions for HD plates )

wp_ss_20180729_0004.thumb.png.1266b1b46f3a97dd77a9f2350df61300.png

Well I was out down the oakdean cafe last night, we done +-60 miles an she ran like a sewing machine. All fixed, not sure exactly what was up with the clutch either oil or plates round the wrong way lol...

Cheers all.

Well I was out down the oakdean cafe last night, we done +-60 miles an she ran like a sewing machine. All fixed, not sure exactly what was up with the clutch either oil or plates round the wrong way lol...

Cheers all.

FB_IMG_1500661837585.thumb.jpg.edb04e71bb0d211d9e3db6d573a4ef40.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers all.

FB_IMG_1500661837585.jpg

.... Someone's been stitched up......

• 4 weeks later...

Lol...

Well it's started being a sod again only when hot now and a bit sporadically.

I'm assuming the friction plates have been damaged from the crap oil so I have a new set of plates and they are soaking in 5l of Castrol as we speak.

Went for gecko plates from we Moto this time, heard a few problems with the ebc plates and the way they a finicky with oil...

Hopefully this sorts it

Lol...

Well it's started being a sod again only when hot now and a bit sporadically.

I'm assuming the friction plates have been damaged from the crap oil so I have a new set of plates and they are soaking in 5l of Castrol as we speak.

Went for gecko plates from we Moto this time, heard a few problems with the ebc plates and the way they a finicky with oil...

Hopefully this sorts it

Oh dear , I bought Gecko plates from Wemoto for my ER5 and they didn't last five minutes ( not literally obviously ) Admittedly I was ragging the bike up steep hairpin bends in Wales with camping gear and making an arse of it but I don't think I'd buy them again.

Well hopefully I have better luck... I only read good reviews when I searched the ol' intra web?

We Moto normally only sell decent stuff....

Was it long ago that you used them?

It was last year I think , see my post in Touring entitled Beaulah to Tregaron . They were in the bike about 4-5 months and , yes , I certainly did soak them in oil . As I say , it was probably due to me tackling a ridiculously steep road on the wrong bike and making a mess of it that did for the clutch. I actually took a spare clutch pre-soaked in oil on my holiday to Scotland this year but I never needed it .

That's preparation dude, spare clutch plates!-)

Well upon removal just now the ebc plates were stuck together again, all I can put it down to is poor oil soaked into them.

It all went together ok, was a pig to get into gear again, guessing all the oil on the plates cause after a minute or so it's started working ok after an adjustment on the lever and a good rev.

Just gotta go for a decent ride the weekend and see if that's solved it ..

There was a small amount of damage on one friction plate from when the retaining wire had come free last time and was rattling around between the second to last steel and friction... Maybe that had an effect wwho knows... I'm just hoping I get more than a few hundred miles before it starts playing up again... Darn clutches.

I think I will bite the bullet and give it to yamaha or buy a proper set of verniers and get the tolerance of the parts checked, I'm a bit of a kick and hope kinda guy when fixing things, and that needs to change haha.