Failed MOD 2 Test for second time with no minors

So ... I first sat my Mod 2 Test back on 10th of Aug. I failed this test after a very solid ride and completing the test with zero minors I was failed for one serious fault. The fault was I was approaching my first roundabout of the test, done all my checks etc and seen a car coming round with his left indicator on so presumed he was going to come off before my junction so committed to pull out. As I pulled out it soon become obvious the driver of the brand new lexis didn't know how to use his indicators correctly and because of this resulted in me pulling out on him and failing my test. Lesson learned, don't trust other road users and presume if they are indicating to turn that they are actually going too, only pull out when I 100% know its safe to do so.

Second test sat this morning I also failed! Again, no minors and one serious fault for going 25mph through a 20mph zone. Soon as he said this I knew exactly which road he was referring to without even asking and stepped in to explain myself. I did not know the area he took me at all and as I hit that road within a housing estate I was in two minds whether it was a 20 or 30 zone. I did not see a change of speed limit sign upon joining the road and could not see any repeaters so used other traffic to try and gauge the speed limit. Me and my examiner being the only vehicles on the road I checked my mirrors and started off at 20mph. My examiner being right up my backside made me then think oh well it must be a 30 zone. With that being said and still unsure I notched up to 25mph again checking my mirrors to see if my examiner followed or held back at 20mph, he followed maintaining the same gap as when I was travelling at 20mph so I continued doing 25mph as it was not safe to get up to 30mph based on amount parked cars etc which resulted in me failing! I immediately challenged him on this and his response was "You shouldn't be using me as a gauge of what the speed limit is" that still doesn't excuse the fact if I was breaking the speed limit, then so was he!

Anyways, enough ranting and was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences as I am feeling very disappointed in the outcome of my tests. The first not so much but especially my test this morning with my instructor saying any other day the examiner would of simply had a word on the debrief and at worst given a minor for it but not failed me for the sake of a few mph on a short stretch of road when he could very clearly see I was a confident rider having no faults and sticking to every other speed limit throughout the test perfectly fine :(

Hi Lee,

I know you're beating yourself up about it today, and I get that, but it is what it is. It's always easy to say that after you've passed but if it helps I failed my second car driving test for doing 40 in a 30. The road sign was sideways in a hedge and not visible at all (my instructor took me that way a few days later to show me) and the examiner argued that I needed to use other things such as the street lights to work out the speed.

It's just something you have to take on the chin, as hard as that is. I know it's all the additional cost and faff of retakes.

Focus on the fact that up to now it's only two incidents that have happened to have happened whilst out and about - by the sounds of it the rest of your riding is ok.

And with any luck you'll end up going the same way on your retake - it's what happened on my third car driving test when I passed!

Unfortunately going over a 20 is likely to get you a fail every time, you may get away with a few miles over any other limit but they specifically take you through a 20 for a reason, sounds like your riding is fine, its expensive but keep at it and the smile will be all the bigger when you pas.

He would have to maintain his gap to you so he can judge the speed you are going, I had my mod 2 first thing in the morning, its hard to break any speed limit in rush hour where its built up, although i had a damn good try at loosing him on a stretch of carriageway, 2 roundabouts then a 70 limit, we got separated at the first and i err very confidently pulled out at the second and was off, it was the start of the self guided bit to which he had given me instructions, I was lucky I had spent many years on the same roads driving a car, took him most of the route he gave me to catch up and i may have inadvertently got to at least 70 cough cough very quickly, didn't even get a wry smile from him at the end :D

Stick at it you will be fine :thumb:

I’ve not done more than a CBT yet however I’ve had similar feelings having felt hard done by after being failed on my 2nd car driving test years ago. I’ll spare the details here as I posted something similar recently in another thread but I just wanted to say to you not to get down hearted about it.

Use it to fuel your determination next time around. The more you fail, the better you’ll become. Failure can make you over analyse, be overly critical and hard on yourself but generally the outcome is you’ll bounce back and be even better than you are now. E.g, hyper aware of every roadsign that will give you an indication of correct speed.

It’s massively annoying when it’s more money, time and hassle going through it yet again but I’m confident in years to come you’ll look on this failure as having a positive outcome. A tough, harsh even unfair examiner will result in more effort on your part to totally nail your riding and that can only ever be a good thing for you and others.

Now get yourself booked in for another test and smash it!! :thumb:

I got a minor on my test, for holding back at a roundabout, until I knew fully which way the car was going to go, as he was driving round.

Apparently I was too hesitant! The fact he was indicating should have been a sign as to which exit he was going to come off at lol

I got a minor on my test, for holding back at a roundabout, until I knew fully which way the car was going to go, as he was driving round.

Apparently I was too hesitant! The fact he was indicating should have been a sign as to which exit he was going to come off at lol

Yep, I think the examiner just have no consistency what so ever. I spoke with a good friend of mine who passed his Mod 2 last month with 7 minors and the examiner said to him in the debrief "Congratulation you have passed. However, you did go 40pmh down a 30mph road passed the industrial estate so try be more vigilant with the change of speed signs"

Have come to accept it is what it is and just got to stick at it because my riding is perfectly fine, just failed on 2 really stupid things :(

Unfortunately going over a 20 is likely to get you a fail every time, you may get away with a few miles over any other limit but they specifically take you through a 20 for a reason, sounds like your riding is fine, its expensive but keep at it and the smile will be all the bigger when you pas.

He would have to maintain his gap to you so he can judge the speed you are going, I had my mod 2 first thing in the morning, its hard to break any speed limit in rush hour where its built up, although i had a damn good try at loosing him on a stretch of carriageway, 2 roundabouts then a 70 limit, we got separated at the first and i err very confidently pulled out at the second and was off, it was the start of the self guided bit to which he had given me instructions, I was lucky I had spent many years on the same roads driving a car, took him most of the route he gave me to catch up and i may have inadvertently got to at least 70 cough cough very quickly, didn't even get a wry smile from him at the end :D

Stick at it you will be fine :thumb:

Yep, I have accepted it is what it is now. My riding is perfectly fine hence no minors over the course of 2 full tests just 2 very silly things failed me. Is annoying that the examiner however didn't use some common sense and let it slide considering we where the only 2 on that particular road at 11am. Good friend of mine passed his Mod 2 last month with 7 minors and a telling off for doing 40mph down a 30mph after missing the change of speed limit sign :/

These 20mph areas are popping up all over the place where they were 30 before. Easy to get caught out. Never mind you’ll know for next time.

Hello and welcome by the way.

Yep, very frustrating having received no minors over the course of the two test yet walked away having failed twice :/ must of only been on that particular road for no more than 30 seconds or so too as it was passing through a housing estate! Will go again and next time if in doubt and cant see a speed sign go at the lower speed as it should only be a minor for use of speed. However, with my luck will probably fail me haha

You're riding can't be perfectly fine if you failed once for pulling out on a car, which your lucky you didnt have the test abandoned and made to wait on the side of the road and then fail on a serious fault for speeding.

And the examiner is correct, you shouldn't use him to judge the speed limit, he would have been matching your speed so he could record it. You failed both tests on poor observations.

Examiners dont have vendettas, get another test and lesson booked beforehand.

lessons learnt .

indicator flashing means one thing and one thing only ...

The bulb works ...

speed limits ..

Some examiners will allow for a speed infraction going into a limit change AS LONG as its reacted to by the first repeater ..ie obscured limit change sign due to foliage , large vehicles etc and you then see repeater and adjust speed accordingly but this mainly applied for limit increases as other factors come into play for 30 & 20 ie street lighting and road humps .

The examiner has to justify in that brief time your have the ability to Be SAFE not just for yourself but everyone else and to Be Legal ..Any breach of those factors then raises the likelyhood of failure .

You're riding can't be perfectly fine if you failed once for pulling out on a car, which your lucky you didnt have the test abandoned and made to wait on the side of the road and then fail on a serious fault for speeding.

And the examiner is correct, you shouldn't use him to judge the speed limit, he would have been matching your speed so he could record it. You failed both tests on poor observations.

Examiners dont have vendettas, get another test and lesson booked beforehand.

The first one pulling out also did not pose any danger I needed the first exit which was a 2 lane exit the car safely took the outside lane with me taking the inside lane it did not cause the car to brake or change speeds. My examiner simply said me out made him take the outside lane which I took on the chin and accepted but it was not dangerous like your suggesting.

As for the second test. The highway code states if there is no visabal speed signs to use the surrounding area and traffic to gauge the speed limit. Not been familiar with the area, being no visible speed signs, street lights plus me and the examiner being the only 2 vehicles on the road how else was i supposed to gauge the speed limit for that 20-30 second period?

As for the second test. The highway code states if there is no visabal speed signs to use the surrounding area and traffic to gauge the speed limit. Not been familiar with the area, being no visible speed signs, street lights plus me and the examiner being the only 2 vehicles on the road how else was i supposed to gauge the speed limit for that 20-30 second period?

You might want to link us to that part of the Highway Code.....

Honestly, the best thing you can do to pass next time is take it on the chin, bury it deep somewhere and on the next test be extra vigilant.

can you highlight that section of highway code for me please ?

and the location of that road in question

I was chatting with a police motorcyclist about this when I did the BikeSafe course last month. He said that for the speed limit to be enforceable there has to be a speed limit sign on both sides of the road. If one sign is not there, for whatever reason - might have been knocked down etc, then the change of speed limit is not enforceable. This was confirmed by the IAM examiner I am working with on my Advanced Rider Course. But they can still do you for careless riding/driving if you are obviously unsafe.

I was chatting with a police motorcyclist about this when I did the BikeSafe course last month. He said that for the speed limit to be enforceable there has to be a speed limit sign on both sides of the road. If one sign is not there, for whatever reason - might have been knocked down etc, then the change of speed limit is not enforceable. This was confirmed by the IAM examiner I am working with on my Advanced Rider Course. But they can still do you for careless riding/driving if you are obviously unsafe.

This isn't true. There are cases where if the lower speed limit is a side road to a main road, then only 1 speed limit sign is needed on the left hand side of the side road.

I also wouldn't ignore speed limit changes while on a MOD 2 test if a sign was missing. There is a classic example of this on a St Helens test route near Millennium Motorcycles, where on the main road the speed limit changes from 30 to 20mph and the left hand sign has been removed. People get failed on that particular part of road very often for not obeying the change of speed.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I failed the Mod2 five times before I passed. However, I had no formal training. I practised myself and learned from my mistakes every time I failed. I also changed my Test Centre once as the one in London I used was down to very poor pass rate. Good luck for the next time, don't give up. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just failed my Mod2 for the first time today, very dejected. Pulled out in to the road when parked at the side, didn't see the red car over my shoulder when I did my lifesaver?? wasn't going fast, my fault, hand up. I am however a bit annoyed with the school, as I booked a 3 day course, already had CBT and Theory done before hand and been riding for a while. Day1  all day on a 500 until about 3.30pm, happy days.

Day 2. All day, Mod1 at 2pm, passed happy days again, day 3, set off 9am then left at the test center at 10.20am which I was not happy about because I expected more practice than that seing as I paid for a full day, failed obv and then I get told I needed another full days riding and a test day (£400+), better book again etc. Bit miffed but sod it, what can you do.

Edited by Stumpy
Added a detail.
  • Sad 3

Yeah, that's a bit rubbish. When I failed my mod 1 at least the tutor took me out for the rest of day after the test for more practice. I was still sorry, as I had mod 2 booked for the same day and of course my money just went to funding an extra tea break for the examiner. 

I think it often happens if you have an early test the practice bit is riding to the centre.i failed mod 2 twice and it's demoralising esp as it felt as if it was bankrupting me but keep going and it'll be worth it in the end 

Edited by Blackholesun
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

My son is 6ft 3" and stuck on a2 Sv650. We lose count of his mod 2 test failure. I was present at the Farnborough debrief where the examiner said my son didnt see the articulated lorry on the A road he was joining and failed to accelerate onto the A road Infront of the lorry. I asked my son and his reply I saw the lorry but decide to join behind it because its safer.  We didnt argue just retook the test. This time he failed for obstructing the traffic when he waited behind a bin lorry blocking his carriageway and a van approach from the opposite direction wanting to turn right across his path.  He waited for the binman working at the back of the lorry to wave him past on. the examiner expected him to ride in the narrow gap between the binlorry and adjacent van on the a road doh. We bitched to DVLA and they said that he obstructed the traffic. Given he has been riding since 16 now 25 commutes to work on his bike and has passed his car test rather proves he is competent. Now he work retest doesnt want to be humiliated would rather give up on motorcycling.

• Sad 2