Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

ER5 Engine Swap / Build

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has liked: 699 times
Been liked: 543 times

Re: ER5 Engine Swap / Build

Post by Via » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:30 am

Looking good :thumb:
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 3079 times
Been liked: 2842 times

Post by fastbob » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 pm

I made a sump gasket this evening, this one was relatively easy being composed of straight lines . To do the holes I made a punch tool by sharpening the inside edge of a locating dowel using a Dremel . I wonder if you can download gasket patterns from the internet ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:29 am

I still haven't got the pistons in but I couldn't resist sticking the top end on ( not bolted up obviously ) just to see what it looks like. I think the original paint on the cylinder head , although a bit lighter, blends in well .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm

On the weekend I popped all the valves out and lapped them to the seats . I found a little bit of rust inside two of the valve seats but not on any of the faces . I got my new piston rings today and the first thing I did was measure all the end gaps . To my relief they are all at the small end of acceptable limits , brilliant ! Final assembly tonight then . Please don't let me f**k up !

Mickly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 444 times

Post by Mickly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm

How do you hold the gasket paper in place while you are profiling it?
I’ve been looking at the price of some of the Gaskets I need for the Trophy and it’s made my wallet quiver.
2020 challenge points

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Mickly wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm
I’ve been looking at the price of some of the Gaskets I need for the Trophy and it’s made my wallet quiver.
Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then , with the cover still in place,I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.
Last edited by fastbob on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 pm

After much fiddling about I got the pistons into the cylinder block . Not so easy with new rings and freshly honed bores .

Mickly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 444 times

Post by Mickly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

fastbob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 pm
Mickly wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.
Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a go when I’m ready - the best place to buy decent gasket paper is?
2020 challenge points

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Mickly wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm
fastbob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 pm
Mickly wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean but anyway, what I do do first is place the cover on the paper and draw round it with a fine biro . Then I take it off and scribble all over the jointing face with a marker pen several times and while its still sticky I put it back onto the paper using the drawn outline as a guide . This should make a print of the inner shape . Then I use a bit plastic tube dipped in paint to mark all the hole positions. Next I punch out all the holes using a sharpened locator dowel . Lastly I carefully cut the whole thing out with a scalpel . If the gasket has all straight edges I skip the printing stage and just use a ruler to draw the inner shape and a bit of the old gasket to draw around the wavy bits where the holes go . I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but I just kind of made this up as I went along.
Cheers Bob, I’ll give it a go when I’m ready - the best place to buy decent gasket paper is?
I just buy it off eBay , its called Flexoid

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 am

A small setback , one of the cam shaft journal bolts pulled the thread clean out before reaching the torque setting ( 12 inch pounds ) so I'm going to have to Helicoil it . Not a problem in itself but I wish it wasn't in such an important place . I think I'll fit a manual cam chain tensioner later on because the one in it seems to require a bit of "help"

megawatt
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Has liked: 754 times
Been liked: 586 times

Post by megawatt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am

I've replaced all the M7 rocker cover threads, in the cam caps, on my GSX race engine. Not a difficult job, but serious if it goes wrong. I'm sure you'll cope mate.
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm

megawatt wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am
I've replaced all the M7 rocker cover threads, in the cam caps, on my GSX race engine. Not a difficult job, but serious if it goes wrong. I'm sure you'll cope mate.
Yeah, I know what you mean , I did all the M7 rocker cover threads in my previous GSXR 1100 L . Would you recommend a hand drill to enlarge the hole prior to tapping ? I can't remember what I did last time . By the way , I've just remembered what happened when I had the cam shafts out on that bike . Nearly every one of the bolts snapped when they were un screwed . In every case it was just under the bolt head so there was plenty of shaft remaining that screwed out with finger pressure . I reckon some heavy handed" mechanic " had used foot pounds instead of inch pounds !

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I just used the supplied tapping drill.
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm

megawatt wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm
I just used the supplied tapping drill.
That's what I'm going to use but did you use an electric drill or a hand drill ?

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:07 am

Electric pillar drill and a hand held vice to make sure it was exactly 90 degrees.

Return to “Old Motorbikes, Projects and Restorations”