Shoei Helmet

[mention]Lanceautoman[/mention] Nice write up. £250 is a bargain. For me it comes down more to value for money than actual cost. How many comfortable hours you’ll get out of it compared with another lid and what price not being distracted while riding by bad kit?

I too am now a Shoei convert. Picked it up Thursday, rode for hours Friday and Saturday and was amazed how comfortable and functional it was. Pleased I spent the money (although it was an early birthday prezzie so I only paid half :thumb: ) I thought my neck was too weedy for motorway riding as at higher speeds when checking the blind spot my head was whipped round and required effort to turn it back. Turns out it was just the helmet! I must be Cinderella because as you say the Shoei fits :D

I thought exactly the same as you about being weedy on motorways. Previously a slight turn of head would feel like having my head wrenched. Now, I have to keep a bit of an eye on the speedo; previously anything over. 70mph was very uncomfortable

SCM and LAM.......just be careful with doing shoulder checks at motorway speeds......not always necessary, get your information (remember TUG - take, use, give) by upping the scan rate and more mirror checks. Don't forget that at 70mph you're covering 31 metres/second......

I’ve had my Shoei Neotec for nearly 3 years. Just a plain white one. I love it. It’s been fantastic this summer. As soon as I get into traffic or 30-40mph zones the front comes up so I get the air straight in my face which keeps me cool. It’s a fairly quiet lid to boot. I have a SENA 20S attached and listen to music on my phone the vast majority of the time or sometimes the radio. Even though is a smidge on the heavy side compared to my old HJC RPHA10+ the added features such as the flip up and the internal dark visor outweighs this. The vents are good too, although when opened creates a little more wind noise but I trade that for having a cooler head. The pin lock does its job the same as any other pin lock.

I’m going to wait until I spot the Neotec 2 in the sale and go for one. I believe it has 3 shell sizes which could save me some weight as I’m a small size and the original Neotec only comes in 2 shell sizes.

Al in all, it’s a quality lid.

On the topic of helmets and drinking, do they make a helmet like one of those Australian hats that has beer cans fastened to it with pipes so you don't have to take it off to drink. Would the beer cans compromise safety, I can imagine difficulties in surgery removing a beer can embedded in the brain, although there may be benefits from requiring less anesthesia.

is there a legal issue with drinking and riding if you do both at the same time.

I have looked for one in J&S and cant find one.

[mention]fullscreenaging[/mention] I was a very reluctant buyer and now a complete convert. Disappointed it cost the same as a Schuberth but that’s just snobbery which is always best put to bed.

[mention]griptwister[/mention] :lol: I don’t see a single decent reason that would be illegal :shock: although from my experience people who imbibe alcohol require more anaesthetic not less due to their poor ol’ organs processing toxins faster than your average human. That’s why you’re asked about how much you drink when you have surgery. Lying about it is not wise cos coming round during surgery is funny for us most of the time but occasionally very dangerous if your at a delicate moment!

[mention]Speedy23[/mention] yes I get what you mean, if your aware of what’s behind you the entire time (as we all really should be) then a checks not necessary but I’m still newish and speed n skill effects that decision so at the mo a glance before a manoeuvre is the right thing for me.

Umm bit embarrassing cos it’s super bright red 😬 I’d chosen the blue until I saw the gloss in the flesh!

It’s as close as I can currently comfortably get to hi-viz

It may be prudent to mensh that helmet city price match (in the uk only) and they fit at the same time. Which means those cheek pads are matched size wise free of charge (I believe they’re over £50 a pair) to ensure you have the optimum fit.

Will post my final two challenge photos later and I think the shiny lids in the background of one.

It's arrived! Got the Anthracite as it's a pretty good match for the bike. Really nice lid (bloody well should be for the price....) after wearing it for a bit, I'm finding it a bit snug round the cheeks so it's looking like the smaller size cheek pads will be in the post but even so, given the price I paid for the lid, I will still be about £50 better off than what most people are flogging them for. (Does that even make sense? But it is 0400, after all.....and no, not been to sleep yet.... 8-) ) Or I might just see if they will bed in. Hmmm.....

1st impressions: It's quiet - a lot quieter than my other Shoei modular and my Bell Mag-8. Some people are saying that it's heavy, but it seems fine to me. Really like the micro-ratchet catch - easy to work with gloves. But the sest-belt type clip on my old modular was also good, but not with gloves on. But not a deal breaker.

Lovely standard of finish and workpersonship. ..when you pick it up it just oozes quality. Visor optics great, good peripheral vision. Pinlock visor insert included but dont think I'll bother just yet. Anyway, visors these days are really good.....I remember in the old days when you bought a new helmet (Griffin Clubman, I still love you.... :love: ) you had about 1 hour of use before the visor started to show signs of wear. Riding at night was particularly interesting.....it was this state of affairs that led to the aftermarket visor sellers like Bob Heath (still going strong, I've just found out!) gaining a toe-hold in the helmet accessory marketplace.

Very comprehensive accessory kit, including a little bottle of silicone oil and s service tool (makes putting the comms in a lot easier). Also included is a breath deflector (not cold enough yet) and a couple of reflective Shoei stickers.

As an aside, I've also bought some 3M black retro-reflective stickers off Amazon. ...they are really cool, they look like a shiny black metallic patch in the daytime, but at night provide a brilliant reflective surface. Already got them on my other 2 lids and thoroughly recommend.

On the whole, very pleased :thumb: .....all that's left now is to buy the comms system......hello, Santa, you listnin' ?

What on earth are you doing up at 4am?! Time to cut back on the caffeine?!

Great write up especially from someone who’s had no sleep.

The shop guy said silicone the visor seal once every 6 months and it’ll stop it degrading. Not done it yet though.

Agree it oozes quality, just picking it up it feels good.

I like the ratchet closure. I’m told they said they’d never do a ratchet but back tracked due to demand and I’m glad they did, even with gloves like oven mitts I can work the helmet.

They installed the pinlock for me before I picked it up and I’m very pleased it doesn’t interfere visually at all.

I’m not sure on the venting. It’s very effective, to the extent when I accidentally flipped it open whilst fumbling around to find the drop down shade I was suddenly struck by an ice cream head pain! I’m sure I’ll love it when it’s over 30 degrees though!

Santa loves bikers, he secretly delivers prezzies on his Harley because it’s faster and more environmentally friendly than all those stinky deer so I’m certain he’ll deliver all good bikers whatever the heart desires.

Before anyone flips their lid (ha ha) I love deer.

I used to love a bit of rabbit stew. Somehow rabbits now a niche product, horribly farmed and costing £20 a kg.

My taste for rabbit disappeared after my chooks died (of old age) and a visit to Bath Bunny Rescue meant I picked up a litter of motherless kittens which then caused this bit of insanity-7B17B235-46EF-473E-A6E8-EA9FF16D4E3F.thumb.jpeg.8b346efe85d16f44b7d952164d3e2f42.jpeg307074EB-A8C5-4D06-A3FD-56753208A9F1.thumb.jpeg.99fc9899fe637f0d660dd08d03d91150.jpeg

They are lovely though, nature’s lava lamp! Before anyone comments on the rickety wooden house they don’t live in either house they’ve dug there own burrow and just use the hutches to chomp on. Might be a bit off topic :o

• 4 weeks later...

@Speedy23 How’s the Sena comm system working out?

Not very, atm. Waiting for Motorcycle Live to swoop on some discounted kit. Also Shoei have bought out a new touting full face that is also comms ready - I think it will use the same kit. Monitoring prices. Soon as I buy & install, will post a review.