Sorry guys this must have been beaten to death but I am about to buy a helmet and am snow blinded by the choice.

I am a total newbie and a very old timer at that. I have a Honda 125 I want to ride for a while to get a bit of experience then take my big test. I am looking for a helmet just once for both bikes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks john

Only advice I can give is go to a shop and try them on, plus make sure an assistant advises you on what the fit should look and feel like - it's what I needed as a total newbie. You need them a touch more snug around your cheeks than you would think (which will soften up after a few rides as it moulds to your face)

^^^^^

as above.

Don't buy your first helmet on line.

Why not ...

go try em on in the shop , when you find one you like then look on line, good chance you’ll get it cheaper , or the shop might price match .

^^^^^

as above.

Don't buy your first helmet on line.

Why not ...

go try em on in the shop , when you find one you like then look on line, good chance you’ll get it cheaper , or the shop might price match .

Sportsbikeshop is usually reasonably well-priced, and they do free returns. However, my local dealers are about the same price actually and you can try em on in store. Usually they have to order in the right size even though they stock lots, but pricing isn't usually any more than online.

Bought mine online, I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos before.

I made sure they did free returns and then ordered. I had to send the first one back, as even though I went with the size guide, it was just too big (I'm on the border of a small and medium)

There is a gotcha with helmets as far as I am concerned.

In summer the traditional open face helmet seems to make sense but the faster you go the more the air gets under it and lifts it unless the strap is done up very tight. The full face helmet feels more secure at speed.

The other kind of helmet that opens up at the front with a hinge and lock system appears to offer the best of both worlds. openable when wanted and closeable for comfort at when riding, but the downside is theres more to wear out and they can let in the wind and rain as they wear.

The biggest benefit of the full face for me is the weather protection in cold weather. It is just warmer and dryer than an open helmet.

Bear this in mind as you check out the options.

Definitely go try some on, I was after a caberg flip front and when I tried it on I really didn't like the feel of it. I went for a hjc flip front in the end really comfy and nearly a year on om still happy with it. I was lucky my local independent shop is v well priced. At least once you know what you like the feel of you can shop around

Thanks everybody, was thinking of going to J&S Doncaster they bragg they are the biggest bike shop in Yorkshire. john

They are one of the biggest.

But unless you cop a bargain they are not the cheapest

Just looked at your profile.

Go j and s in Leeds instead from ponty.

Get geared is next door to j and s.

2 shops instead of 1.

If nowt there.

Head for mymoto.

Personally I'd go straight to mymoto. Top service and a good selection. Always have offers on :thumb: