Legal requirements in france

jem1

I’m just back from France, did not use any stickers, or do anything about headlights, had zero issues, the police I did see, took next to no interest in me what so ever, there are 100 of bikers, over there from everywhere, we just don’t stand out, and unless you make yourself stand out or unlucky enough to be caught speeding you will be fine.

• 3 years later...

I found this list a while ago and other than the ‘filtering’ thing I think it’s still valid. 

Riding in France is a joy - most of the time.

Keep to the speed limits and you don't need to worry about Radar (Speed Cameras) and get where you’re going unruffled and in plenty of time.

In France, unless you antagonise the Gendarmes, you'll be OK.

• If stopped by the Gendarmes the first thing you say is "Bon jour" or in the evening/night "Bon soir". This is a must or you will p#ss him off and, when p#ssed off, he'll check absolutely everything and anything he can think of.
  • You can be stopped without a reason. If you haven't broken the law then it's usually just to check your documents. I find giving your UK Driving Licence first gets you on your way almost immediately (you did say "bon jour" didn't you)
  • You need to carry a spare set of bulbs - headlight, indicator, brake/side light.
  • If you breakdown you and your pillion need to put on a Hi Viz vest and stand on the other side of the armco while awaiting assistance (if there is one).
  • Reflective stickers are required on your helmet but, unless you antagonise the Gendarme (you did say "bon jour" didn't you), he's not going to bother or even care about them.
  • Filtering is illegal. It is practised in the cities and tolerated by the authorities but, do not do it in rural areas. In the cities, most drivers will move over for you and the white lines next to the outside lane is considered the "Moto Lane".
  • You must stop and put your foot on the ground at Stop signs. 90€ on the spot fine if you don't and you're caught.
  • Speed Camera warning systems on your GPS are illegal. They will check if you're stopped and they see the GPS. You can have "Zone dangereuse" on your GPS in France but, this is illegal in a number of European countries so switch it off before crossing the border to, for example, Belgium.
  • Technically the Gendarmes are not allowed to hide when doing mobile speed camera checks. That doesn't stop them from being "creative" in finding places where it's very difficult to see them in plain sight i.e. against a dark background.
  • In cities, Scooterists are complete maniacs with a death wish. Just let them go, don't block them or they'll have you off.
  • In the country, treat every junction and roundabout as “Priorité à droite” regardless of signage. Just slow down a little and be prepared for someone not to stop. This is because the locals haven't realised that they're supposed to stop!
  • Some of the city roads and urban motorways are in urgent need of repair or are cobbled. Keep an eye out for pot holes and bad road surfaces even on Auotroutes.
  • Learn and practise "le Leg" - sticking your leg out rather than your hand. This is the way to greet other motorcycle riders (not scooterists) and to thank other vehicles for moving over etc.
  • Road signs, in France, are appalling! So use a GPS or have a map in your tank bag.

France is the Moto capital of Europe and very Moto friendly.

What I'm basically saying is: ride in a calm and courteous manner, keeping to the French rules of the road and you'll have a great time.

• Like 1

A few observations. 

• Reflective stickers are required on your helmet 
  • .They are not required if you are a visitor on a foreign registered bike.

• Speed Camera warning systems on your GPS are illegal. They will check if you're stopped and they see the GPS. You can have "Zone dangereuse" on your GPS in France
  • The dangerous zones are marked on all GPS systems no Gendarme would check if you were still using a very old satnav with the cameras marked

• In the country, treat every junction and roundabout as “Priorité à droite” regardless of signage. Just slow down a little and be prepared for someone not to stop. 
  • PàD is more of a problem in towns than on the open road. France is well signposted and priority roads are marked with a yellow diamond and junctions will be marked either with a priority junction sign like an upright arrow with two short arms or a PàD sign, a large X. Any road entering from the RHS with a white line or a road sign at the junction is a non-priority road. Give way to traffic already on roundabouts which is actually priorité à gauche. If a lorry enters a roundabout indicating left it will probably be going ‘straight on’ not turning off the road, it’s in the Code de la route. 

• Some of the city roads and urban motorways are in urgent need of repair or are cobbled. Keep an eye out for pot holes and bad road surfaces even on Auotroutes . 
  • In general the roads are well surfaced, the autoroutes particularly well.

• Learn and practise "le Leg" - sticking your leg out rather than your hand. This is the way to greet other motorcyclists and to thank other vehicles for moving over etc.
  • Greet motorcyclists coming in the opposite direction with a low wave with your left hand. The right leg is used after overtaking, either to acknowledge another motorcyclist or to thank a car driver for making room. Drivers in France tend to be far more bike aware and bike friendly than drivers in the UK

• You must wear gloves, the fine for not doing so is €135

• As mentioned on another thread the real concern for visitors to France is knowing what the ‘National’ speed limit is. Many départements have reverted to 90kmh on some of their roads while others have kept the 80 limit. If the speed limit is above 80kmh it will be marked by very regular roadside signs unless upon entering the département there is a sign saying that there is a blanket 90.

• Road signs, in France, are appalling! So use a GPS or have a map in your tank bag.
  • Are they? I must have missed that. 
Edited by DR1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DR1 said:

A few observations. 

• Reflective stickers are required on your helmet 
  • .They are not required if you are a visitor on a foreign registered bike.

• Speed Camera warning systems on your GPS are illegal. They will check if you're stopped and they see the GPS. You can have "Zone dangereuse" on your GPS in France
  • The dangerous zones are marked on all GPS systems no Gendarme would check if you were still using a very old satnav with the cameras marked

• In the country, treat every junction and roundabout as “Priorité à droite” regardless of signage. Just slow down a little and be prepared for someone not to stop. 
  • PàD is more of a problem in towns than on the open road. France is well signposted and priority roads are marked with a yellow diamond and junctions will be marked either with a priority junction sign like an upright arrow with two short arms or a PàD sign, a large X. Any road entering from the RHS with a white line or a road sign at the junction is a non-priority road. Give way to traffic already on roundabouts which is actually priorité à gauche. If a lorry enters a roundabout indicating left it will probably be going ‘straight on’ not turning off the road, it’s in the Code de la route. 

• Some of the city roads and urban motorways are in urgent need of repair or are cobbled. Keep an eye out for pot holes and bad road surfaces even on Auotroutes . 
  • In general the roads are well surfaced, the autoroutes particularly well.

• Learn and practise "le Leg" - sticking your leg out rather than your hand. This is the way to greet other motorcyclists and to thank other vehicles for moving over etc.
  • Greet motorcyclists coming in the opposite direction with a low wave with your left hand. The right leg is used after overtaking, either to acknowledge another motorcyclist or to thank a car driver for making room. Drivers in France tend to be far more bike aware and bike friendly than drivers in the UK

• You must wear gloves, the fine for not doing so is €135

• As mentioned on another thread the real concern for visitors to France is knowing what the ‘National’ speed limit is. Many départements have reverted to 90kmh on some of their roads while others have kept the 80 limit. If the speed limit is above 80kmh it will be marked by very regular roadside signs unless upon entering the département there is a sign saying that there is a blanket 90.

• Are they? I must have missed that. 

Sorry for any inaccuracies DR1, as I said I found the list quite a while ago.

I did find the comment on greeting the Gendarme politely a positive, as from experience it can sway the outcome considerably. 
The gloves rule was a new one to me when I read it in the previous post, but as I always wear them anyway… but a good rule. 
I tend to go the speed of the other traffic if there is any, and as it’s generally a 2-up tour I get told off if I start getting a bit excitable!

Le leg/the peace V sign, 👍nice to see le leg in the UK too. 
Reflectives go on the helmet, every little helps. I’m a great believer of giving as few reasons to get pulled as possible. It seems to work too 😁, only one stop and that was in the car with kids and Grandma… a document check, salute and away. 

4 minutes ago, Steve398 said:

Sorry for any inaccuracies DR1, as I said I found the list quite a while ago.

I did find the comment on greeting the Gendarme politely a positive, as from experience it can sway the outcome considerably. 
The gloves rule was a new one to me when I read it in the previous post, but as I always wear them anyway… but a good rule. 
I tend to go the speed of the other traffic if there is any, and as it’s generally a 2-up tour I get told off if I start getting a bit excitable!

Le leg/the peace V sign, 👍nice to see le leg in the UK too. 
Reflectives go on the helmet, every little helps. I’m a great believer of giving as few reasons to get pulled as possible. It seems to work too 😁, only one stop and that was in the car with kids and Grandma… a document check, salute and away. 

In general the Gendarmes are bike friendly. I’ve never been stopped for speeding on the bike but two or three times Gendarmes have given me slow down hand signals. 🙂🙂 I’ve been told that all the Gendarmes that you see in road duties have had motorcycle training. 
With the priorité à droite thing you have to be a bit careful because other road users behind you will know that you’re on the priority road and any slowing down or dithering could result in you being rear ended especially as in France the vehicle behind you is often much closer than you would expect. 
France is a great country to ride or drive in because with a little bit of planning it’s easy to find roads with very little traffic on them. 

• Like 1

We went to France as a sole destination a few years ago and though it’s been mentioned by me a few times since then, the reaction I get is less than enthusiastic. So, it’s viewed as a last resort.  So if for some reason we are not allowed into Germany or Austria. Then we will go to France and perhaps cross into Italy if allowed. France gets the same thumbs down as Switzerland. But for different reasons. Very different reasons. Like Italy.. I love the north. The Alps and lakes. But one tour that took me as far south as Naples has put me off the south forever. I saw a side to Italy that I loathed. I hasten to add, the anti-France bias doesn’t come from me. I really enjoyed it when I went down south with @rob m that same year. No, this comes from the others in the group.  If I go to France again as a sole destination then it’s likely to be solo or with Rob again. But the group as a whole just aren’t keen. Spoilt to an extent by Germany.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Gerontious said:

We went to France as a sole destination a few years ago and though it’s been mentioned by me a few times since then, the reaction I get is less than enthusiastic. So, it’s viewed as a last resort.  So if for some reason we are not allowed into Germany or Austria. Then we will go to France and perhaps cross into Italy if allowed. France gets the same thumbs down as Switzerland. But for different reasons. Very different reasons. Like Italy.. I love the north. The Alps and lakes. But one tour that took me as far south as Naples has put me off the south forever. I saw a side to Italy that I loathed. I hasten to add, the anti-France bias doesn’t come from me. I really enjoyed it when I went down south with @rob m that same year. No, this comes from the others in the group.  If I go to France again as a sole destination then it’s likely to be solo or with Rob again. But the group as a whole just aren’t keen. Spoilt to an extent by Germany.

I enjoyed both France and Switzerland and will return once we’re able. Both have been very welcoming and I have never encountered any ill will. My two encounters with the gendarme in France have been positive (once post-crash, once after being seen filtering). We tend to aim at the lumpy bits (the alps and Pyrenees) so are prepared to hurtle done on autoroute / autobahn rather than amble on the smaller roads to give ourselves more time riding the passes. I’ve found the roads and scenery in the mountains generally excellent and we’ve had (mostly) little problem finding good food and accommodation. 

24 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We tend to aim at the lumpy bits (the alps and Pyrenees)

Don’t forget the lumpy bits in the middle. There are some great roads in the Massif Central. It’s a shame to bypass them on the autoroute. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DR1 said:

Don’t forget the lumpy bits in the middle. There are some great roads in the Massif Central. It’s a shame to bypass them on the autoroute. 

I’ve had a little tootle around those and the Vosges. Unfortunately the weather was awful for each. We may go back but unlikely as they lack the grandeur of the Alps. 

Edited by Steve_M

My son got married in France in the Languedoc region and we all had a great time. Afterwards my wife and I meandered north on country roads (sadly in a car) but some of the roads were awesome and would have been brilliant on a bike. I like the food too, much prefer it to German to be honest. This summer if I'm home I'll be joining the family in southern France but I think I'll miss it unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

I went to the Vercors with Rob, though we were mostly based at Millau. But we also went into the Vercors and visited Combe Laval. Which is stunning beyond words. We also had a day trip to the Med Coast, which was great. I thought the entire week was great. So much so that this ended up being a recce and we went back in September. It was made pretty clear to me after we returned that there was no enthusiasm to go back. Though I reckon everyone enjoyed one of the days when we rode to the summit of Mount Ventoux. Which was also stunning.

I would happily go back. But the others? Not so much. And I can’t force them. But if it comes to it and the eastern side of the Alps is closed to us then I’m thinking of the Route des Grande Alps and probably the Aosta in Italy. And if nobody wants to come then that’s fine.

• Like 1

I’ve always enjoyed France, to the extent that I moved to Vire, Normandy, for a while, though I prefer winding undulating vistas rather than the long straight roads.
My wife isn’t a lover of the country, only looking at it as a way to get through as quickly as possible en route to Greece. 
Whichever countries we pass through tend to be remembered by our experiences travelling through, many people rave about Bulgaria but personally I found nothing there that would entice me back. 
Re. the Gendarmerie, I have absolutely no problems at all with them, they have a job to do. This may of course be because I spent 30 years doing the same job 🙂

Edited by Steve398
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I went to the Vercors with Rob, though we were mostly based at Millau. But we also went into the Vercors and visited Combe Laval. Which is stunning beyond words. We also had a day trip to the Med Coast, which was great. I thought the entire week was great. So much so that this ended up being a recce and we went back in September. It was made pretty clear to me after we returned that there was no enthusiasm to go back. Though I reckon everyone enjoyed one of the days when we rode to the summit of Mount Ventoux. Which was also stunning.

I would happily go back. But the others? Not so much. And I can’t force them. But if it comes to it and the eastern side of the Alps is closed to us then I’m thinking of the Route des Grande Alps and probably the Aosta in Italy. And if nobody wants to come then that’s fine.

A large section of Route des Grande Alps was a major part of the first tour my good lady and I did together. It’s what hooked her on bike touring. We’ve now used sections of it on three tours as a link route to get to other areas. It is su-bloody-perb. 

My good lady took a few photos… 

E13487FD-5BC3-4A8D-9E47-CE8B75891A29.jpeg

85074005-C4A1-4138-8B8E-03119C4D4D53.jpeg

07B2938D-ADAC-427F-BD56-C0820FF4215F.jpeg

AEEDF8A1-E940-4024-A020-C0E92D80CDDD.jpeg

94174239-99C5-4DE9-A403-4E84382ED353.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2

This link may help ..... To be honest we all live and learn,  I've ridden in France and never knew that Helmet stickers were a legal requirement.  Not sure if you'd get fined for not having them or not,  I was never pulled over when I was there to test the theory. 

https://www.drive-france.com/products/motorcycling-france-legal-requiremets/

Take advice like this with a pinch of salt, you will see that they are keen to sell you items including reflective stickers and breathalyser kits. The law requiring breathalyser kits to be carried, failure to do so resulted in a fine of €0, has been removed. Below is a copy of the legal text regarding visiting motorcyclists and reflective stickers. 

Tout casque de moto vendu ou utilisé en France doit présenter des éléments rétro réfléchissants sur tous ses côtés
C'est juridiquement impossible, aucune reglementation impose cela (voir le texte plus bas), le code de la route n'impose par la norme NF. Sinon cela voudrait dire que nos voisins européens doivent mettre des stickers quand il viennent en france faire de la moto.
D'ailleurs si on lit le texte en detail dessous, il est dis:
Cette obligation figure sur le règlement 22/04 (le Règlement n°22, Amendement 04). Directive qui bien que laissant à chaque pays signataire, le choix de rendre obligatoire ou non ces éléments auto-collants rétro réfléchissants n'a vu que la France les imposer pour l'homologation de ses casques.
Le reglement 22/04 a rendu obligatoire les autocollants pour l'homologation francaise (norme NF uniquement)...

Any motorcycle helmet sold or used in France must have retro-reflective elements on all sides.
 It is legally impossible, no regulations impose this (see text below), the highway code does not impose the NF standard.  Otherwise that would mean that our European neighbors must put stickers when they come to France to ride a motorcycle.
 Moreover if we read the text in detail below, it says:
 This obligation is contained in Regulation 22/04 (Regulation 22, Amendment 04).  Directive which, although leaving to each signatory country, the choice to make compulsory or not these retro-reflective self-adhesive elements has seen only France impose them for the homologation of its helmets.
 Regulation 22/04 made stickers compulsory for French approval (NF standard only) ...

31 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

This link may help ..... To be honest we all live and learn,  I've ridden in France and never knew that Helmet stickers were a legal requirement.  Not sure if you'd get fined for not having them or not,  I was never pulled over when I was there to test the theory. 

As far as I am aware helmet stickers are only a requirement for residents, not visitors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

As far as I am aware helmet stickers are only a requirement for residents, not visitors.

That’s what it’s saying. The Highway Code refers to the NF standard that only applies to helmets sold in France. 

It’s probably also worth pointing out that a (full not provisional) U.K. licence is all that is needed. Last year there was some confusion and it was suggested that an International Driving Permit might be needed in addition but that is not the case.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gerontious said:

One of my favourite trips that was. Loved it. It'd be awesome to return to that area again at some point. 

xAFBuKX.jpg 

o5ptZKW.jpg

DZPj7Cx.jpg

Edited by rob m
  • Like 2

France .. fine as a transit country .. but frankly i`ve always found the German / Germanic speakin regions better .. never knew northern parts of Italy fell into this aswell .. just thought the signs were for tourists .. not because the local inhabitants were ethnic Germans .... and they eat German cuisine...  

Edited by Copycat73