Eifel Mountains 2018

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 909 times

Re: Eifel Mountains 2018

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm

I was pretty sore I wasn’t coming along as soon as I’d had to turn it down, now looking at the pics its even more of an ouch!
Hit upon a decent smooth piece of tarmac today which made me groan again at missing out, especially when because its the UK it was an anomaly and lasted a mere 100 metres!

The needing more than two tables thing makes it hard but what made it much harder for me is expecting everyone to be a grown up about some people wanting to do one thing and others something else. As if constantly staying clumped in a 10 was important. Which it is not. That’s one of the nice things about reading Bungleaio’s write up he had a good time and pleased himself.

@Bungleaio don’t apologise, we all have priorities, yours are just out of whack- where’s my fix? :lol:
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger XRX 800, RV 125 VanVan, DR-Z400 SM
Has liked: 1405 times
Been liked: 581 times

Post by bonio » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Justarn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 pm
Jealous.... Just jealous.
What was the total cost and when is next year's trip people?
I reckon I spent £540 in Europe. That includes the hotel, petrol, meals out, drinks at the bar, everything. Then another £120 in the UK on petrol, a night in the hotel and dinner. Then it would be another £70 tunnel crossing, except I got some off with Tesco clubcard.
Two Soups

Bungleaio
Bike(s): Z1000SX
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Bungleaio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:49 pm

bonio wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 pm
Justarn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 pm
Jealous.... Just jealous.
What was the total cost and when is next year's trip people?
I reckon I spent £540 in Europe. That includes the hotel, petrol, meals out, drinks at the bar, everything. Then another £120 in the UK on petrol, a night in the hotel and dinner. Then it would be another £70 tunnel crossing, except I got some off with Tesco clubcard.
I haven't bothered adding it up, I know I went though €500 in cash, 300 of which was for the hotel & bar bill. It was all very good value for money other than some of the petrol stations €1.72 per litre at one of them was a bit eye watering but I still got change from a €20 note after filling up so it didn't really matter.
You can't beat a nice bit of faff

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda CRF1000D2 (DCT)
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1299 times

Post by Gerontious » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Its good value for money.. but no longer the stunning bargain it was. in real terms the price has increased by almost a quarter due to the dire value of the £. for years petrol in particular was about 20p a litre cheaper in Luxembourg. and usually a penny more than here in Germany. thats all gone by the wayside. Petrol.. in particular is now very expensive in Germany and this is made a whole lot worse when you convert the price into £. But having said that, its not going to put me off going again.
When touring Europe you learn more about the UK, than you do the place you’re visiting.

bonio
Subscriber

Post by bonio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes, it's amazing value for money.
I was also a bit taken aback by the price of petrol - it's a lot more expensive than I remember it from previous years. .... I now I've had to erase half of what I was writing about how much more petrol had risen in Germany than in the UK. But I made the mistake of looking for some facts to validate my argument. But I couldn't find any... because the facts actually told the opposite story. Looking at the period September 2016 to September 2018, the average price of petrol has gone up 17% in the UK (1), 14% in Germany, and 15% in Luxemburg. I guess I reacted to seeing the whole hike between one visit and the next, whereas at home I've seen the prices rise a penny at a time, which is a lot less noticeable.

1. UK stats: https://www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-p ... -over-time
2. Germany stats: https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/germany/prices#chart
3. Lux stats: https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/luxembourg/prices#chart
Two Soups

Bungleaio

Post by Bungleaio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 pm

I've not been deliberately dragging this out but here's the last instalment

Friday

Despite having random shots the night before I woke up feeling great. Breadfast was consumed then 5 of us set off for the final group ride. Smallfrowne went off to get his bike and sort the clutch out.

As per normal I had no real idea of where we were going, I didn't need to know and to be honest I was better off not knowing. We set off on amazing roads again, hairpins, sweepers everything you want, I was feeling more confident and my chicken strips were shrinking.

I'll put the next bit as a spoiler as was amazing so don't click this if you think you might go on one of these trips in the future, I'm so glad it was a surprise to me.

We started to climb and I could start to see the beginnings of an incredible view through the trees. After a few minutes there were openings between the trees and the view was getting better, I was saying in my helmet can we stop I want to take a photo! Obviously no one could hear me and we continued to climb.

Then the trees stopped and there was a viewing area. The view was amazing and I was so pleased it was a surprise.

I moved my bike closer to the edge to get some photos of it, Gerontious kindly took a photo of me next to it.

We then continued our journey through more stunning places on amazing roads. It's hard to put more of a description as they really are all like that, I bet the locals hate visiting other places in the world as it must be a real step down in quality compared to home.

We called in for lunch in a really nice restaurant, I forget how old it was but it had been open for a very long time. We sat outside as the weather was lovely. There was a little bit of a panic when the waitress tried to take our order but Bonio was back at his bike getting his glasses. We somehow managed to convey the message of can you come back in 10 minutes please. Bonio returned and all was well again.

I'm happy to order food that I have no idea what it is so ordered Bratwurst mit Gräwes. We all know what bratwurst is but mit Gräwes turns out to be the nicest mashed potato I've ever had.

Off again for more great roads, at one point a couple Umleitungs brought us round in a big circle so we stopped to work out where we were going. I say we, four of us had a chat whilst one did the working out

The route was sorted and we made our way to Cochem. We stopped to take in the view.

It was at this point I decided to break away from the group, they went off to do "Matts road" and I went back to the hotel. According to google it would take me about an hour and a half to get back to the hotel so I started to follow the directions. I forgot to click the avoid motorways option so I ended up on an autobahn, well I think it was an autobahn everyone was travelling at a fair old pace. I'd never been on an autobahn before so I did what anyone would put my head down and pinned the throttle. My bike has a TFT screen so I had it set to display KPH so I didn't really know how fast I was going, it was also about 17:30 so it was getting busy. I had a few goes at going as fast as I could, the biggest number I saw was 203kmh. I didn't know exactly how fast that was but it was very windy! A quick google later said I'd done just over 126mph, i was quite pleased with that as my bike can apparently do 139mph flat out. Maybe next year...

Once back at the hotel total distance for the day of just over 200 miles.

The mechanic was nowhere to be seen but the patient was still in the operating theatre.

Dinner was consumed then time for more beers. There was even another round of the Romanian Moonshine!

After a few more beers it was time to join Smallfrowne in the pub

Yay more bloody mary shots

The landlady was also consuming these shots, it must have gone to her head as she sat down and promoted Smallfrowne to head barman

Doesn't he look proud of himself

He took his job seriously and invited Mark to assist him in consuming as much beer as possible

At about 2 am I decided it was time to call it a night seeing as we had a bit of a journey to do the next (same) day. I dragged Smallfrowne with me, he would probably still be there now if I didn't.

Saturday

Being clever I'd pretty much-packed everything before the beer started on Friday night so I didn't need to try and figure out how to get all my stuff back into the small bags I'd brought everything in. The beer is also good quality rather being the chemical filled lager we have here so I was feeling pretty good for my 4 and a bit hours sleep. The sun was out too.

More bread, final packing and a quick once over of the bikes and we were good to go. No chicken strips for Snod Blatter

Ate the miles between the hotel and the tunnel with no real dramas, lunch at Spy then arrived at the tunnel was all textbook. Then the textbook was thrown out of the window. Due to an honest mistake we arrived a little later than we should have done so the group was split on to two trains no real dramas but it wasn't until about half an hour or so after we were at departures that we realised the trains were delayed due to a breakdown in the tunnel. After a couple of hours the entertainment consisted of burger roulette

We said our goodbyes and the first three guys boarded their train after nearly 4 hours of waiting. The rest of us boarded at about 5 hours, it would have been even later if Bonio hadn't had a word with one of the customer service agents.

The final photo of the trip, I got this just before they took their trousers off

Once off at the other side we met up with the other guys from the earlier train, they had gone for food and kindly waited so that we could ride together. I'd never ridden in the dark before so it was good to have others to ride with,

After a massive tunnel delay and it being 10.30 at night you would have thought it would be fairly easy to get back but no. M20 had a junction shut so we had to divert to the M2, there was a massive queue for the Hartford tunnel then a rolling roadblock on the M25 which then completely shut for a while. It was great to get to the services at South mims for a very much needed coffee.

Despite it being the middle of the night snod blatter almost created a fan group for his bike. There was a bloke at the services who was loving that he was on a TRX, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't nursing a semi, he even watched us ride off.

Back on the road and nearly the home stretch on the M1, bugger junction 13 to 12 shut, time for another diversion. Shortly after this I pulled into a services to adjust my neck tube, as I was no on my own. No bother as my headlight is actually quite good and after riding in the dark for a few hours I didn't mind it. Just before I was due to get off the motorway I saw a streak as Gerontious overtook me, waving as he went.

I was soon home after leaving the motorway and put the bike back in the garage.

Total stats for the day 441 miles and getting home at 02:55!

And this was for the entire trip

I then went to bed, bloody body clock woke me up at 7 though!

I hope you've enjoyed my write up of my trip experience. As I've said before it was absolutely amazing and something I will never forget, I can't wait for next year!

Bungleaio

Post by Bungleaio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:00 pm

@Slowlycatchymonkey My work here is done :thumb:

Justarn
Bike(s): Xjr1200
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Justarn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 pm

No is not, write me down as a reserve for next year:-)
Custom xjr muscle

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 3191 times

Post by Six30 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:10 pm

I've enjoyed this thread, :thumb:
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has liked: 710 times
Been liked: 821 times

Post by mikestrivens » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm

Me too
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

bonio
Subscriber

Post by bonio » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am

Awesome write-up @Bungleaio.
I was meant to do it last years but writer's block meant it never happened.
Two Soups

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 909 times

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:43 am

I hate this phrase but it’s appropriate here. OMG what a lovely time :D

I’ve had to restrain myself from mentioning this thread to my good other half because living vicariously is idiotic but even so :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

@Bungleaio @Gerontious @bonio I love the photos and the honesty.

Must stop typing now I’ve had a couple of GnT’s!

Thankyou for sharing it here.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

raesewell
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 514 times

Post by raesewell » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 am

Nothing wrong with Oh My Goodness :wink:

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 3191 times

Post by Six30 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am

don’t know how you lads can drink till 2am , then get up early and ride your bikes ... I’d be fooked all the next day,
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda CRF1000D2 (DCT)
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1299 times

Post by Gerontious » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Six30 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am
don’t know how you lads can drink till 2am , then get up early and ride your bikes ... I’d be fooked all the next day,
The Germans have a word for it. "Bierernst" and it's something you develop very quickly staying in a German hotel that has zero contact with the British. (Aside from us) you can roughly translate it as deadly serious about beer. Or more exactly "BeerSerious". You can't but help acquire it in the first day or so. Day one.. The hotel restaurant is closed so a walk to the local kebab/pizza joint. Walk in, grab a beer from the fridge. A glass from the shelf and use the bottle opener handily convenient on the counter and enjoy while you make a decision about what to eat. None of this: ask and pay in advance nonsense, that's just time-wasting when you can be beer drinking instead. And so it goes on. Glass starts to look a bit empty-like and a new one appears as if by magic. You think a place is about to close only to discover they are going to stay open just for you for as long as it takes to drink at least another 4 rounds, 5 if you're up to it. If you're not drinking fast enough then magically Schnapps or Moonshine will appear and demand instant drinking which obviously does nothing but increase thirst... And all this before 11 at night. After which time it ups a pace and gets just a tad more serious. This year, on the last night they were back from the bar just after 2. This probably caused uproar in the bar, leaving at such a ridiculously early hour. The price of passing the big 3-OH is a high one.
I didn't go anywhere near the village bar this time round... Last time I ended up falling into a rather large hole in the ground.. Which some workmen had carelessly left, without any kind of barrier that I could see, I'm not sure I could see much of anything.. Was there one hole or three? It was lucky this happened in the grounds of the hospital next door to our hotel. (Very convenient) but.. I was unharmed. Every year I take a little bag of pills and potions to deal with the after-effects of excess beer... And every year they're unused. No headache the next morning. Nothing aside from an appetite and a table weighed down by enough food to feed a starving village which... Oddly enough isn't even remotely intimidating. We scoff the lot!
When touring Europe you learn more about the UK, than you do the place you’re visiting.

Return to “Touring”