Trying to revive a 1992 Suzuki gs 125 with no success :(

Guest JackDmac

Hi all,

Thanks for looking, I’ve recently bought a 1992 gs 125 hoping to get it back running. Was sold as intermittent starter and previous owner could only get to start on full choke, but so far it has started for a second or two then died and not started again.

I have been racking my brains with what I believe it could be but I’m no mechanic so hoping for some wisdom from you wise peoples 👍

So far I have done the following:

Cleaned carb removed all jets and checked float and all look brand new (first thought was just needs carb clean). No improvement.

I checked the spark plug, was covered in soot but cleaned up and spark is strong.

I’ve replaced the carb to block rubber manifold as was perishing and seal was damaged.

Fuel tank was drained and New fuel has been added and the kill switch tested also replaced fuel filter

Had the stand up and clutch in when starting

Airbox checked and all fine- no air leaks

The bike was only given an mot 2 months ago and at the time paperwork said it had a “set up carb”

Pulling my hair out, not much left anyway

Try a new coil , plenty of Chinese cheapies on eBay. In fact before you even do that chop a quarter inch off the end of the HT lead and re attach the plug cap . I have a hunch its a weak or non existent spark .

• 2 months later...

It sounds suspiciously like flooding.

The previous owner had to start with plenty of choke but you don't need choke so this suggest over rich running.

The plug is not supposed to be sooty, soot usually means running way too rich, the deposits on a plug from a correctly set up engine should be light grey never black

Add to this that a garage has worked on the carb and this confirms the carburation as the chief suspect.

Engines can start easily when over rich but have difficulty running when over rich and this is exactly the behaviour you are seeing.

I would have a competent mechanic examine this and point him at the mixture as a suspect issue.

• 1 month later...

re air filter: check to see if the snorkel has been fitted right way up, it has "top" on the top but you would be amazed how many folk fit it upside down.

Is it a CV or slide carb? Have the service manual if you need any settings like float height, mixture screw settings.

Regards

Rob B

.......I’m no mechanic

I have done the following....Cleaned carb removed all jets and checked float and all look brand new (first thought was just needs carb clean). No improvement.

Ah, the two phrases that always bring a chill to the spine when used together......

FFS, a carburettor is a delicate instrument that needs treating with kid gloves when you take it apart and will definitely need setting up properly when (if....) it has been correctly reassembled.

I can never understand why people have a fixation on taking them apart. Probably because of all those, lovely, lovely, twiddlable screws. If it's adjustable, then it must need adjusting, right? Err...Probably not.

Usually, "adjustment" turns out to be a random process and the dismantler rarely understands how the thing works anyway, let alone how to set it up properly. Are all of the jets in the various circuits within specification? Needle? Needle position? Float valves?

I would be very suspicious....why did the bike come with a bit of paper saying "set up carb"? Does this mean that the carb has been "set up" (unlikely), or that the carb needs "setting up"?

Anyway, now it has been apart, it will be hopelessly out of adjustment and will indeed need "setting up".

Looking at the OP, was the compression ever checked?

My tip: put the tools down, walk away from it and take it to a shop.

Sorry if that's not you wanted to hear, but as you yourself admit, you're "not a mechanic" so take it to someone who is.

Edited by Anonymous

and Im sure there is a sorry tale behind that.

no there isnt :roll:

He said no success.. one post back in june and he never came back.

so.. Im assuming the bike ended up at a scrap metal dealership/breaker. or, perhaps.. he got rid, handed it over to someone with an idea of what he was doing and so there was no need to come back to the forum.

or did you think I meant something else?

and Im sure there is a sorry tale behind that.

no there isnt :roll:

He said no success.. one post back in june and he never came back.

so.. Im assuming the bike ended up at a scrap metal dealership/breaker. or, perhaps.. he got rid, handed it over to someone with an idea of what he was doing and so there was no need to come back to the forum.

or did you think I meant something else?

How do you know he never came back? just because someone doesn't post a reply it doesn't mean they aren't reading the forum!

You should never assume anything! no one knows whats happened and why

as for the comment it could be taken lots of different ways and its comments like that why people never return or leave the forum!