Riding in wet/damp conditions

Mrbubba

I'm new to all this bike riding and so far, the weather has been good, but it's all going to change soon!

I'm not looking forward to my first commute in the rain, or even just on wet roads. I have this vision in my head, that the slightest damp patch in a corner, or slight kink and the bike will slide from underneath me.

Other than being smooth and riding to the conditions, is there anything that will get this feeling of nerves out of my system before the weather turns?

No sharp turns

Keep off the centre parts of the road where engine oil may have leaked

Take your time

Keep tyres as warm as possible, make sure the correct air pressure is set

Relax!

No sudden braking, so judge distances etc

Set off earlier

Keep warm

No sharp turns

Keep off the centre parts of the road where engine oil may have leaked

Take your time

Keep tyres as warm as possible, make sure the correct air pressure is set

Relax!

No sudden braking, so judge distances etc

Set off earlier

Keep warm

.....learn to ride like this in the dry, and also try to use Mike's point about painted lines, road furniture and anticipation all the time, then when it rains it won't make any difference to you......

If you're going to do a lot of riding in the wet and in winter then the following might be of help.

Good tyres are your friend. Make sure your tyres have good tread (it's the tread that displaces surface water) and I'd check out the reviews to see if people say they grip well in the wet. If you have decent tyres, then can trust them in the wet; they won't let you down.

But there are some areas that are likely to be slippery when wet, so go carefully on them or avoid them altogether: manhole covers and white paint (zebra crossings and mini roundabouts are the worst), also roundabouts as they attract diesel spills, and they're hard to see in the wet.

It's a bit different in the dead of winter (December - February), as the roads are seldom dry, and they can get very slippery with oil from engine and salt and yuck. In these conditions, you need more care than in normal wet conditions, and unless the roads are bone dry, I ride fairly upright and keep everything very smooth.

On of my first rides on my bike was when he had a random storm one evening and I was at work so not like I could just change my mind, I was papping it but it was ok.

Just took my time a bit more, avoided paint or covers in the road as much as possible, and eased on and off the brake/throttle....it was fine! Other than getting wet through and the rain pretty much gone when I got home!

All of the above - and this time of year watch out for leaves and any overhanging trees dropping seeds, conkers, etc on the road. The traffic turns them into a lovely slimy mess that strangely enough acts as a wonderful lubricant between your tyres and the road surface.

If you're going to do a lot of riding in the wet and in winter then the following might be of help.

Good tyres are your friend. Make sure your tyres have good tread (it's the tread that displaces surface water) and I'd check out the reviews to see if people say they grip well in the wet. If you have decent tyres, then can trust them in the wet; they won't let you down.

I agree with get tyres for the wet to boost confidence. I use Metzeller Z6 and fell very confident with them.

I think the biggest issue when riding in the wet is the visor fogging up. I have tried pretty much everything and my top solutions are -

1 - Pinlock https://www.pinlock.com/

2 - a well ventilated helmet that has a visor which can be opened ever so slightly to leave a small air gap

3- Muc off Premium anti-fog treatment https://muc-off.com/collections/motorcycle-rider-care-workshop/products/anti-fog-treatment

:stupid: re tyres

Michelin PR3/4/5 good all year round tyres and I feel pretty planted in the wet.

My mate has Diablo Rossos on his striple and said they are amazing in the summer... terrifying if he gets caught in the rain :lol:

Decent set of waterproof pants, jacket, boots and gloves.

If you're getting piss wet through, chances are you'll be distracted from whats going on infront of you.

Pinlock visor if you have/can get one for your lid will make all the difference aswell.

:stupid:

Do not underestimate this, I didn't think much about waterproofs at first thinking with work I've been used to being outside in rain and cold for hours... One 5 mile ride in a downpour was worse than anything I've ever experienced before, rain is annoying when walking about, rain hitting you as you're riding at 40+ is painful! That with the colder weather and added wind chill riding was agony.

Pinlock definitely worth it's weight in gold.

It is important to remember that tyres grip until they break away and in the dry this break point is beyond most riders ability to reach it.

In the wet or on loose gravel or on oil this break point comes closer to our normal riding speeds. Having said that this point can be brought significantly closer by unwise riding. Opening the throttle enthusiastically or braking abruptly can make the tyre lose traction as can water sitting on top of metal such as wet manhole covers,

One of the gotchas is riding over a puddle. This puddle could be millimetres deep and of no consequence or several inches deep, you have no way of knowing. A hole in the road fills up with water when it rains, this is eventful when passed over at normal road speeds, but when coming to a stop at low speed, if the front wheel enters a deep hole hidden by being filled with water it can easily throw you down the road.

Ride smoothly in wet conditions there is no need to go very slow in the wet just sensibly and smoothly, Tyres are designed to grip in the wet. Pick your way avoiding any bumps, hollows, puddles, manholes, ruts, road markings, toads, bunny rabbits, and elves, and you should be fine.

Do not under any circumstances run over an Albatross.

All good advice , I’ve nothing to add .....

except buy a shitty cheap car to use through the winter , your thank me later :thumb:

Currently in the process of selling the car if anyone wants an Audi S4 😀

All good tips here, I've been told that tomorrow is meant to chuck it down around Surrey, so fingers crossed 😎

I think the biggest issue when riding in the wet is the visor fogging up. I have tried pretty much everything and my top solutions are -

1 - Pinlock https://www.pinlock.com/

2 - a well ventilated helmet that has a visor which can be opened ever so slightly to leave a small air gap

3- Muc off Premium anti-fog treatment https://muc-off.com/collections/motorcycle-rider-care-workshop/products/anti-fog-treatment

My helmet came with pinlock, it's been brilliant, no fogging up since it was fitted

except buy a shitty cheap car to use through the winter , your thank me later :thumb:

All good tips here, I've been told that tomorrow is meant to chuck it down around Surrey, so fingers crossed 😎

How much is Audi ?

How much is Audi ?

It'll be up for around 13k and then open to offers, haven't got round to finalizing the advert. It'll be replaced with a smaller car now I have the bike.

It's chucking it down outside, so I'll get my wet weather practice in on the way to work, luckily there's a drying room, so everything will be nice and dry for the return journey around 11pm 👍

Don't wait until it rains one day on your commute, go and ride in the rain at the weekend when you have no time pressures to be somewhere.

As much as it grieves me to ride my R1 in the rain(future classic and all that) I try to keep my hand in just so i dont get hung up on riding in wet weather.

I do draw the line on the RGV and 380 though.