Saw This

It's an R71 or one of its derivatives from the 1930s - 750cc Side Valve.

it might not be what it appears to be though... As this was the bike that the Russians and later the Chinese copied and it's not unknown for original Soviet or Red China parts to be replaced with German originals. As all 3 were basically interchangeable. The Russian bike was (is) known here as the Ural and the Chinese bike was the Chang Jiang.

But.. Having said that... It's likely original as its carrying what looks very much like a Nazi era number plate. (WW2 German army plate) issued in the Berlin military district. Not something I would expect to see on a British road. Are they making a film or documentary anywhere nearby - I wonder, and someone thought it might be great fun to take it out for a ride.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an R71 or one of its derivatives from the 1930s - 750cc Side Valve.

it might not be what it appears to be though... As this was the bike that the Russians and later the Chinese copied and it's not unknown for original Soviet or Red China parts to be replaced with German originals. As all 3 were basically interchangeable. The Russian bike was (is) known here as the Ural and the Chinese bike was the Chang Jiang.

But.. Having said that... It's likely original as its carrying what looks very much like a Nazi era number plate. (WW2 German army plate) issued in the Berlin military district. Not something I would expect to see on a British road. Are they making a film or documentary anywhere nearby - I wonder, and someone thought it might be great fun to take it out for a ride.

Great information! Coventry has a big motor museum, maybe someone visiting it while touring from Germany on it? Bungee cord on the back may suggest carrying luggage and German lock on the wheel.