Dash lights out

Glyn THE postie

Hi everyone im new here i have a f650gs i recently took it for an mot all was fine til he tested the indicators which had previously been fine.

So he flicked the indicator switch to test and all the dash lights indicator lights and bot brake lights stopped working i have replaced all the fuses with brand new ones but still nothing any help plz Glyn

you have a short circuit going on.. or a loose connection - more probably.

Has the bike had a recent battery change?

how this happens is when swapping over the battery, the side panels are taken off and then the indicators hang down which puts undue strain on the connectors. So.. try taking the lens off the indicators and looking at the wires where they normally connect at the rear of the bulb. making sure they are secure.

other than that.. its likely that somewhere up front a wire has been rubbed through and is shorting out and its a matter if tracking that down and fixing it.

Disconnect the battery, give the terminals a quick sandpaper and reconnect. Could be as simple as that . Strangely enough I've been seen bad battery connections where everything seems fine until you apply some load then everything dies . As previously mentioned, this sounds like a connection problem , so if it isn't the battery then its worth checking all your block connectors looking for signs of melting or oxidisation .

Disconnect the battery, give the terminals a quick sandpaper and reconnect. Could be as simple as that . Strangely enough I've been seen bad battery connections where everything seems fine until you apply some load then everything dies .

No. dont do any of this. This specific problem you are experiencing is well known to owners of this particular bike and is nearly always caused by letting the side panels and indicators hang off the side of the bike with only the indicator cable supporting it... and what happens? the connector comes loose and eventually - off... or the bare wire is pulled out of the connector. either/or.

less likely... but possible a wire that is under the headstock has had its insulation rubbed off as the handlebars have been turned left and right over time.

As the MOT went fine.. I'm assuming the engine started and ran perfectly.. as well as the headlamp, brake-light and horn. So, its a fault at the very front end of the bike.. nothing to do with the Battery. leave THAT alone.

Disconnect the battery, give the terminals a quick sandpaper and reconnect. Could be as simple as that . Strangely enough I've been seen bad battery connections where everything seems fine until you apply some load then everything dies .

No. dont do any of this. This specific problem you are experiencing is well known to owners of this particular bike and is nearly always caused by letting the side panels and indicators hang off the side of the bike with only the indicator cable supporting it... and what happens? the connector comes loose and eventually - off... or the bare wire is pulled out of the connector. either/or.

less likely... but possible a wire that is under the headstock has had its insulation rubbed off as the handlebars have been turned left and right over time.

As the MOT went fine.. I'm assuming the engine started and ran perfectly.. as well as the headlamp, brake-light and horn. So, its a fault at the very front end of the bike.. nothing to do with the Battery. leave THAT alone.

Ok , I get what you are saying but nonetheless quickly eliminating the battery terminals as a possible cause wouldn't do any harm .