Weston Zoyland sprint October, 5/7th.

megawatt

Its bonkers eccentricity at its best.

Its worth going to see. Some bikes are stripped back to what looks like barely more than a bicycle frame with a motor precariously hanging on with bits of electrical tape here n there. Some are crazily hand built approximations of motorbikes cobbled together with whatever works and some are powerful sports bikes with full fairings.

From the outside it looks entertaining and addictive- spending time tinkering, trying to get the most out of your bike and then going as fast you possibly can over 1/4 mile just for the thrill of it and for most to try and better their last time but in a fun way not an ultra competitive nobble your neighbours bike kind of way, with the usual camping thrown in of course.

It put me in mind of Burt Munro and his Indian

“When he purchased the Indian its top speed was around 50 miles per hour. Over the following 45 years of rebuilding and tuning Burt managed to make it go in excess of 200 mph “

I was initially greeted with suspicion but I’m used to that, apparently I dont look like a biker (there must be a set format, can someone send me the template?) but it was very soon all good when it was realised I really was there to look at bikes and not on some covert mission. Met some nice folk, a lovely couple who were very pleasant company, a couple of gents in their eighties who had to stop racing because the cut off age is 76 (ageist!) and of course Megawatt and entourage. Great afternoon, thanks for the invite.

Only thing is I’m left wondering if it’s possible when everyone’s gone home if I could get onto the airfield and have a little go myself, probably not, trespassings frowned on me thinks.

Got some pics, will upload them if these flippin devices ever sync!!

I once went to Elvington airfield in Yorkshire with a Hayabusa forum I was on when I had mine. The 200mph club.

Same principle really..........do whatever you can to your bike/car to get it to do 200mph or more. I witnessed a few 200+ bikes on the day with the fastest being 226mph.............the ground shook when that bugger came past me.

It all sounds a very good day and glad everyone enjoyed it. Some great pics there from mega and SCM :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the write up Caroline. Great to meet you on Sunday and great to meet er Grumpy?

Saturday was a washout until 1500 and we ran until 1730.

I had just fitted a two step rev limiter to the GSX and was learning how to use it. Basically it is a top end rev limiter to protect the engine if it jumps out of gear. The clever bit is that I can preset the launch revs, hold the throttle at close to fully open and with the clutch pulled in, hold the revs at a preset level, eg 5000. When I launch the revs immediately go to around 8000 and I select second and wind the throttle up to max.

Had a few scary runs, but managed a few 11.4s and an 11.29. A new PB.

Was running a bit rich, so put smaller main jets in before dinner and beer time.

Sunday was dry, sunny and bloody cold early on. Not allowed to start engines until 1200 and when I went to ride bike to start area, selected first gear, let clutch out and NOTHING? No movement forwards. Cable was OK so we stripped the clutch and found mostly burnt steels and dry frictions, but plenty of oil. Replaced the lot and went to the line. My first run was my best, 10.85 @123mph. Had a couple of scares and then ran a 10.95 @123. Went home very happy and planning to fit an air shifter and lock up clutch before Santa Pod in two weeks time.

Managed to pop over to Weston zoyland and met up with [mention]megawatt[/mention] as Alan says a little bit cold first thing, but soon warmed up, sadly couldn't stay all afternoon, watched as he set his PB time. :thumb: But had a great day out.

Didn't see [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] but did see the BMW R nine T, parked at entrance. :D