I'm WET and cold and wearing Frank Thomas.

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/textiles/lisbo-jacket-black-yellow.html

Lisbo Jacket Black yellow.

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/textiles/frank-thomas-reflector-pants-black.html

Frank Thomas Reflector Pants Black

Both advertised as "waterproof" (not "Shower proof")

It took a while to figure out where the water gets in. The zips on the cuffs and the fly have fabric gussets behind them. I don't expect a zip or velcro to stop water but a would have expected the gusset to be water resistant. Its just wet polyester. In the case of the trousers it works like a funnel. Now it looks like I pissed myself.

I've had them 2 months so too late to take them back. I foresee a mod. I don't know what yet. Frank Thomas does not have a Customer comments or reviews section but they have an: "any questions about buying" section in their contact page. I copied this post into that box. If they reply, I'll let you know.

To be fair, the jacket’s described as having a waterproof membrane, as opposed to being waterprooof. Unless the membrane itself isn’t doing it’s job I’m not sure you’d have a case on a fitness for purpose basis.

To be fair, the jacket’s described as having a waterproof membrane, as opposed to being waterprooof. Unless the membrane itself isn’t doing it’s job I’m not sure you’d have a case on a fitness for purpose basis.

Yeh, but the advert does say the "pants" are waterproof... So sitting in a warm puddle (unless it came from the inside) shouldn't be part of the equation....

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

Product Warranty

All goods sold are subject to a 12-month warranty unless otherwise stated, in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim please contact us on 01606 810800 or by email at [email protected], we reserve the right to have goods inspected. Faulty goods can be taken to any J&S Accessories store or returned directly to our Mail Order Department. If the fault is minor we will offer you a repair and return the item to a satisfactory standard if the item has any more serious faults we would normally exchange it for you subject to availability. Please report any faults immediately to us and we will advise you on your best course of action.

The warranty on the goods does not apply to any defect arising from; fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident damage or negligence by you or any third party, using the goods in any way that we do not recommend or your failure to follow instructions regarding their use, care, or carrying out alterations to goods without our written approval

RST Paragon suit is great in crap weather for not massive outlay. Bit warm in summer but great in winter. Mine has yet to leak on me with the zips done up properly. My only complaints is the t the velcro lost its stick a bit soon around the cuffs, easily rectified.

I suppose the warranted might cover it but its not a fault of a manufacturing defect. Polyester fabric is permeable. Areas that funnel and trap water let it in. Its the design. It should have water resistant fabric and drains.

Have you washed the items since purchase? If you have then you may need to re-proof them (especially if you threw them in the washing machine like I do). You can get aerosol, pump sprays and washing liquids for this; most sports and outdoors shops will sell the aerosol stuff for less than a fiver.

My mate had to re-proof his RST gear earlier this month (admittedly much older gear but he also doesn't wash them that often either!), so it's not necessarily just a cheap brand issue. Unless you buy stuff that is made from naturally waterproof material, you do have to do some maintenance.

Have you washed the items since purchase? If you have then you may need to re-proof them

That doesn't really work with bike gear.. the 'proofer' you can buy doesn't actually.. it just makes water bead and run off. (ideal for tents or walking gear) the problem with bike gear is the speed you are hitting the rain.. and the pressure which will force water into and through the outer fabric layer.

However.. as the OPs bike gear has a waterproof membrane.. the outer shell getting wet shouldn't really be an issue. however it is. either down to bad design or a manufacturing fault that made it past Quality Control.

I would take it back.

I bought a suit that was advertised as waterproof from The Sportsbike Shop a while ago. I had it for three months, and only experienced light rain in all that time. Then I was caught in a heavy shower, which went right through the suit. I called them to explain the situation, and they took it back, with a full refund, no problem. Great service. If I were the op, I would call the vendor and see what they say.

I would speak to the shop you bought it from.

However you slice it the advertising says quite clearly waterproof, waterproof means it is proof against water, in other words water cannot get through.

The sales of goods and services act says that goods must be as advertised and in my opinion if it says waterproof and it isn't then the product does not comply with the act and the customer has a right to either his money back or an exchange.

The law is quite clear on this.

Be friendly and keep them sweet as you are expecting them to live up to the warranty and the compliance with the act.

If they refuse to do anything to remedy the situation then become firmer and quote the act.

If they do not rectify the situation and comply with the act they are breaking the law.

You have the right on your side and the power to resolve this, expect satisfaction.

• 1 month later...

it is also the age old saying of " you get what you pay for " it may have a waterproof membrane in between the outer & inner layers but as already said by another post with speed the rain that hits you is forced through the outer layer hits the membrane & has to go somewhere so runs down the membrane & finds the path of least resistance & depending on how you are played up clothing wise you crotch is the lowest point.

with the most expensive clothing the membrane is laminated to the outer fabric which does not allow water through so will just run off the outer shell also a zip or a pocket only has to be open one tooth for water to find its way in that is why even on the most expensive clothing the pockets are only deemed water resistant & not waterproof as it relies on the wearer to close the zip completely & also with movement of the body whilst on the bike zips can move,

I have cheap synthetic armoured outer layers that did not keep me dry a few weeks ago. Yesterday in the hopping wet I tried my hillwalking waterproofs underneath. That is now the system I shall use on days I know it is going to rain. Dry and warm in absolute cats and dogs

I've had several textile jackets and trousers and they are rarely 100% waterproof in the cuffs and crotch. It's mainly that the speed of the bike forces water into the seams of the crotch or past the cuffs eventually. I carry a pair of thin waterproof overtrousers for when it's really heavy rain. With the cuffs it's trial and error what combination of gloves and riding position keep the most water out. The old style arm bands that form a barrier between glove and sleeve wear actually pretty effective at keeping water out of your cuffs. Beekeepers wear them to form a seal between glove and sleeve and whilst they aren't waterproof they stop the force of the rain getting past the cuff.

I have a similar problem with my Frank Thomas gear, in light rain/drizzle they're alright but more than that water gets through round the armpits, and my groin.

The troursers: http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/textiles/frank-thomas-reflector-pants-black.html

Jacket: http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/textiles/porto-jacket-black.html

The solution is a set of 100% waterproofs which live in backpack, that solved the problem.

Quite late to the party, but if you need cheaper actual waterproof gear have a look at the triumph stuff. They use their own version of goretex and it works wonders, my jacket was £100 and has kept me bone dry 2 winters so far. If it gives up this year I still think it's a bargain!

I got it on here, you just have to keep your eye out for things popping up, it seems they were flogging one for £50 recently with the same tech but it's sold out now.

http://www.triumphfactoryoutlet.com/home

Unless you buy goretex or the plasticised material overtrousers and jackets are made of, anything else "waterproof" is a limited use.

Motorcycle kit should have a hydrostatic head rating as used with a lot of camping gear. A tent with a HH of 3000 will be pretty water proof. My main tent is 7000 and has never leaked, same with a jacket I have that is 7000. Goretex has a HH of 20,000.

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/hydrostatic-head.asp

I have a RST Paragon V jacket that has never leaked even in heavy rain, whereas the Paragon V trousers leaked at the crotch.

My Rev-it Poseidon is Gore-Tex and has always kept me dry.

The problem with most trousers is the four way cross over seam which is difficult to waterproof.

I have a pair of Furygan trousers (non Gor-Tex) that have a gusset in the crotch area instead of the cross over seam and they are waterproof even in heavy rain.

So the thing to do is go and look at the construction of the garment.

Edited by raesewell

When it comes to bikes if it dont say gortex it probably will leak IMHO. Then if it does not leak you will sweat and it can be hard to tell the difference.

One thing I would say is corners are everything stopping drips in necks sleeves water working up over your boots etc...

Gloves whys the only way I have kept my hands dry is with double guff gloves one cuff goes inside your jacket one goes over the top. It has drains to let the water out when it leaks in form the top... ABSOLUTE gits to put on but once on dry hands and arms, and arm pits and bum cause that water once in your cloths will travel and you would be surprised how far...