Easy way to save money for bike stuff

Joeman

Thought I'd post this.

Get a Revolut card. Its like a pre-paid debit card that gives you better exchange rates on Euros and USD or many other currencies so if you're traveling, or just making payments in other currencies you don't get mugged by the banks exchange rate. The rate you pay is close to the interbank spot rate with no commission.

It also gives you a proper UK and EU bank account to pay bills from which is useful if you have bills in Euros.

But the cool part is the way it can round up the spare change from your spending a stick it into a savings pot.

So if you buy a coffee for £1.90 the spare 10p gets stuck into your savings pot. I've got mine setup to double the spare change so 20p would go into my savings pot.

Everytime you spend you save!

The whole think is controlled from an app on your phone and you can set monthly budgets and loads of other cool features. I got one for the greats exchange rates it offers but I've started using it as my daily card.

Just download the app, sign-up, have a play.

SmartSelect_20181003-072625_Revolut.thumb.jpg.6688caee28f7b9f915e8daa35aad621d.jpg

It gives you a cool breakdown of your spending over the month too...

SmartSelect_20181003-073539_Revolut.thumb.jpg.fd7834d00a2b122020aaf467e9852ce7.jpg

If you like numbers and dont like getting mugged off by banks, give it a try...

Used revolut cards on our trip, best way to spend abroad that we found. On the rounding purchases up thing lloyds do this with their debit card as well, you really don't notice it much from your account and it does rack up quite nicely,

Thanks Joeman just signed up for that. I assume your £2 is rounding up £8 to £10 for example.

Yeah it's rounding up the the nearest whole number. I have the x2 multiplier setup to double the rounding so 2quid meant there was a £1 change.

Its fascinating to see how your money gets apent. And setting budgets etc. Other accounts I have do that but not as well a Revolut.

And the FX rates are great. Might be very useful when brexit comes to have some money stashed away in Euros ;)

I'm currently only using it for small purchases, not all bills etc.

Yes I plan to move my shite money into it each month - the money I would use to buy a coffee with or when I pop into the shops. I do spend little bits quite often so I imagine it'll tot up quite quickly.

Exactly what I'm doing.

Load it up with some cash and see how the spending goes..

You can attach receipts to payments too which might be handy. I'm always losing receipts.

Just signed up im off to Estonia next week so will be easier than cash and with no fees a bonus and better exchange rates

Have you ordered the card? Did it say it will arrive before you leave? Hope so!

I'm hoping so but if not it's not a big problem, my wife is Maltese we frequently go there so it will get some use early on next year if not seems a great idea that will save a few quid

You can move money between Euro and Sterling accounts at a very good rate and with zero commission so yes you will almost certainly save money if you watch the exchange rates and transfer when the rates are most favourable.

Alot cheaper than using a UK credit/debit card abroad and paying the extortionate FX rates and fees.

I have a revolut card, great idea.

However I ran in to an issue when I went to France in the Summer, the first couple of transfers from my main account to the revolut account went fine, but then they stopped allowing me to transfer money in.

I presume it was my bank (Halifax) blocking the transfer, it wouldn't work using Google pay either.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have returned from Estonia and gave to say no issues at all with the card. Everyone in Estonia has card machines even the pubs so it was really useful. As Joeman said no fees and favourable exchange rates it was great. I had some cash let over and I plan to put some on it every month for my next trip away. Thanks for the tip really helpful 👍

Well I have returned from Estonia and gave to say no issues at all with the card. Everyone in Estonia has card machines even the pubs so it was really useful. As Joeman said no fees and favourable exchange rates it was great. I had some cash let over and I plan to put some on it every month for my next trip away. Thanks for the tip really helpful 👍

Great news. I'm off to France soon so will be using mine there.

I'm very tempted by the metal card. Can't quite justify the monthly subscription though.